Tesla may adopt Apple AirPlay for better audio

Posted:
in iOS edited July 2023

While Tesla famously won't support CarPlay, code found in its iOS app update points to at least testing of AirPlay in its cars.

Tesla
Tesla

It's never been possible to use Apple's CarPlay in Teslas -- not without a hack, and a convoluted one at that -- but CEO Elon Musk has previously hinted at AirPlay support.

Now according to the unofficial "Tesla App Updates (iOS)" account on Twitter, the latest version of Tesla's iPhone app includes a mention of AirPlay in its code.

Wow we have some juice in this version:

allowsAirPlayForMediaPlaybackhttps://t.co/snBjqbA3Td_MEDIA_AUDIO
JS_FUNCTION_OLD_API
LotteryGameType
LotteryGiftNumberType
LotteryPrizeType
applicationsV2
isExperimentalWebImplementationEnabled

- More info on the charging metrology info pic.twitter.com/UMV1yQAXq4

-- Tesla App Updates (iOS) (@Tesla_App_iOS)

The reference "allowsAirPlayForMediaPlayback" is in the code for the Tesla App 4.23.0, which was released on Thursday.

There is no other reference to it and Tesla has not announced support for AirPlay despite supporting Apple Music in some models since the 2022 holiday season. However, making it into a publicly-released version of the app at least suggests that plans to support AirPlay are at an advanced stage.

AirPlay support would mean that iPhone users could send audio -- or conceivably also video -- directly from their phones to their Tesla infotainment system. That would presumably enable users to play Apple Music from an iPhone through the car's speakers, instead of relying on native support in some models.

This Tesla App, though, is also the one that allows owners to view their car's cameras on their iPhones, and seemingly goes against App Store payment rules to do so.

Tesla has been practically the sole car company to refuse to support CarPlay, but it has been joined recently by GM. However, GM's own dealers are reportedly unhappy with the firm's plans to abandon both CarPlay and Android Auto in favor of its own forthcoming system.

Updated July 14, 4:21 PM ET Updated to include that some Tesla models do in fact support Apple Music.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    You ROCK Elon
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I didn't understand the headline and the remarks in this article about Apple Music since Tesla already supports Apple Music natively.
    ramanpfaffwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 3 of 10
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    In the end Tesla will have to capitulate just a matter of time…….
    lolliverwatto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 4 of 10
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 692member
    The problem with that is that you have to own a Tesla. So, no thanks.
    chasmlolliverwilliamlondonwatto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 5 of 10
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 405member
    GM’s decision is about as stupid as they get. JMHO. 
    chasmlolliverwatto_cobradarkvaderbyronl
  • Reply 6 of 10
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    jdgaz said:
    Since Google is developing this system for GM, I suspect it will have stellar support for Android phones even though it won't be running Android Auto, per se. Who knows, it may be even better than Android Auto. But iPhones? Not so much. If you're in the business of mass volume sales of anything, it seems dumb to pursue a subtractive strategy that essentially hands iPhone users over to your competition. No matter how much I liked it, I wouldn't consider buying any car that didn't have full CarPlay support--and I'm hardly alone in that--so I'm not sure what GM is thinking. 
    lolliverwatto_cobradarkvaderFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    I didn't understand the headline and the remarks in this article about Apple Music since Tesla already supports Apple Music natively.
    They’ve updated the article to reflect that some models do indeed support Apple Music natively, so thanks for pointing this out.

This is what happens when AppleInsider writers don’t get free Teslas in order to conduct vital “research” on matters like this. :)
    watto_cobraFileMakerFellerbyronl
  • Reply 8 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    charlesn said:
    jdgaz said:
    Since Google is developing this system for GM, I suspect it will have stellar support for Android phones even though it won't be running Android Auto, per se. Who knows, it may be even better than Android Auto. But iPhones? Not so much. If you're in the business of mass volume sales of anything, it seems dumb to pursue a subtractive strategy that essentially hands iPhone users over to your competition. No matter how much I liked it, I wouldn't consider buying any car that didn't have full CarPlay support--and I'm hardly alone in that--so I'm not sure what GM is thinking. 
     I moved away from my favorite auto company Toyota to it's competitor who supported CarPlay but not Toyota. I love carplay like millions and millions of auto drivers. So, forget about even considering to buy GM or other car manufacturers without CarPlay. 
    watto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 9 of 10
    "Apple Music" is not the same as "Apple AirPlay"... and neither has anywhere near the usefulness of "Apple CarPlay" .

• Reply 10 of 10
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    One of many reasons to never buy a Tesla.

But hey, the electric Mustang supports CarPlay, so it's not like I can't buy a better car anyway.