Apple TV+ wants to stream Germany's top football league

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

Germany's Bundesliga has reportedly been in talks with Apple about Apple TV+ taking over streaming rights from ESPN from the start of the 2026/27 football season.

The Bundesliga and Apple TV+ logos
The Bundesliga and Apple TV+ logos

Apple is regularly reported to be exploring the addition of European football to its live sport streaming, particularly with both the UK and Dutch leagues. Now according to World Soccer Talk, the company has been in talks with Germany's professional association football league, the Bundesliga, best known worldwide for the team FC Bayern Munich.

Reportedly, ESPN has the exclusive streaming-only rights to the Bundesliga for the US, with a contract that began in 2020.

The deal is currently said to be worth $30 million annually to the Bundesliga, and the contract is set to conclude at the end of the 2025/26 season. The Bundesliga's streaming-only deal with Canadian service DAZN is also due to expire at the end of the season in 2026 -- and so do an unspecified number of other worldwide deals.

Apple tends to want worldwide rights to everything it acquires, so it's possible that Apple TV+ may bring German football to a global audience.

However, unnamed sources told World Soccer Talk that the Bundesliga's talks with Apple have so far been preliminary. Neither Apple nor Bundesliga have commented on the discussion.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thedbathedba Posts: 776member
    Bundesliga is fine but I would love that Apple TV+ gets streaming rights to the Premier League.
    FuboTV has the streaming rights in Canada and their interface is god awful. Even the highlights they post on YouTube are grossly underwhelming.  
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 861member
    The Bundesliga? The most boring football league in all of Europe? Unless Apple plans to use its financial might and global footprint to restructure it to make it more interesting, no one will tune in. Premier League is the only truly competitive league. 
    BiCC
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sflagel said:
    The Bundesliga? The most boring football league in all of Europe? Unless Apple plans to use its financial might and global footprint to restructure it to make it more interesting, no one will tune in. Premier League is the only truly competitive league. 
    It’s literally not? Defense is a dirty word in the Bundesliga, so the games are fast paced back and forth affairs. Nothing boring at all about that league. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Bundesliga would be huge for Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sflagel said:
    I wouldn't call the Bundesliga boring any more than I would call the Premier League boring due to the fact that City has won it 4 of the last 5 years. 
    I really liked it when DAZN had the rights to the PL since they also had Carabao Cup as well as Champions League and Europa League. 
    Unfortunately they lost that.
    Hopefully sometime in the not too distant future Apple can have all this under one roof.  
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sflagel said:

Hahahaha!!! Premier League of Britain is just as boring.  They need to get fights into soccer and red cards flying.  NHL made overtime three on three.  Oilers would kill it with McDavid and Draisitle.  55 seconds.  Fifa should make second half 4 men plus Goalkeeper on 4 men plus Goalkeeper.  Same field.  Real skill.  Did I mention that the under 15 Boys (14 year old Boys) beat the national female American team 5-2!!!!!!!!  Don't blame me, I had no part in it.

• Reply 7 of 7
    BiCC said:
    sflagel said:

Hahahaha!!! Premier League of Britain is just as boring.  They need to get fights into soccer and red cards flying.  NHL made overtime three on three.  Oilers would kill it with McDavid and Draisitle.  55 seconds.  Fifa should make second half 4 men plus Goalkeeper on 4 men plus Goalkeeper.  Same field.  Real skill.  Did I mention that the under 15 Boys (14 year old Boys) beat the national female American team 5-2!!!!!!!!  Don't blame me, I had no part in it.

So you want to make soccer look like hockey? I think that there a few billion people around the world, far more than there are hockey fans, that would disagree with you. 
    I do agree however that some rules need amending. My examples below involve penalty kicks and are strictly my opinion.
    01) Attacker that was fouled in the box or whose shot caused the penalty, takes it. If said attacker is injured, then his replacement from the bench takes it. Penalties should not be a way of padding the statistics of a team’s top scorer.
    02) Once the penalty has been struck, the ball is dead. The goaltender is already at a disadvantage, no need to add to that with a rebounding ball falling at the feet of an attacker for an easy goal. Also removes grey areas of encroachment before the ball is struck.
    03) One fluid motion by penalty kicker. Again goalie is already limited by the rules. Penalty taker should also have limits on what they can do. Take one shot within a clearly defined time limit after ref’s whistle (say 7 seconds). Ball is in the net or it’s not.

As for your final comment, I have no idea how it’s relevant to the OP’s statement. If anything it makes you sound like your disparaging women’s sport, sexist.  
    muthuk_vanalingam