No more white boxes and red ribbons as Apple ditches gift wrapping

Posted:
in General Discussion

In a significant departure from a longstanding tradition, Apple will no longer offer gift-wrapping for online purchases in the US and at least many other countries.

Apple discontinues gift wrapping for online orders
Apple discontinues gift wrapping for online orders

This decision marks the end of a years-long practice that saw gift wrapping as an option alongside all of the continuing build-to-order options on the online Apple Store. As with many high-end retailers, the gift wrapping was remarkably well done, meaning that buyers could gift quite beautifully presented Apple devices.

Apples gift wrapping was more minimalist than some stores, however. The process typically involved placing items in a white box that was then adorned with a vibrant red ribbon.

It was visually appealing and became a recognizably Apple aesthetic. Alongside the box and ribbon, Apple also included a greeting card within the package.

That allowed customers to add a personalized message tailored for the recipient. However, alongside the overall gift wrapping service, Apple has also decided to stop offering a gift message on the order's packing slip.

The online Apple Store does still offer what it calls gift services. However, these are to with shipping purchases to friends or family around or outside the US. There is also an Apple Gift Card that can be sent instead of devices.

Countries affected by the discontinuation of this service include Australia, Canada, Germany, New Zealand, Singapore, the United Kingdom, and the United States, as spotted by MacRumors.

Apple's retail stores have not generally included any gift wrapping options, but they do continue to press smartly-designed Apple bags onto customers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Good, that's less trash being thrown into the ocean, we don't need more mass produced gift wrapping that ultimately ends up being wasted anyway.
    decoderringOferPancake
  • Reply 2 of 14
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    Agree. Less trash is a good thing.

And on a side note, let me say that it's nice to finally have a day when every other article isn't shilling for Amazon....
    decoderringOferAnilu_777fred1FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 14
    davijadavija Posts: 1member
    Nope, I disagree. 
    1. By definition it’s a gift, so people will just buy the wrapping elsewhere and likely in larger more wasteful quantities - because that’s how it’s sold. 
    2. Apple has smart people and they already know this…so this is about simple economics and convenience for Apple…I don’t fault Apple for this, it’s just business, but please don’t think this is going to save the environment. 
    3. This move has a net zero effect or actually makes things slightly worse. 
    4. Also, remember paper and fabric are both biodegradable, it will naturally dissolve. 
    9secondkox2mike1grandact73radarthekatAnilu_777watto_cobraleighrpichaeldarkvader
  • Reply 4 of 14
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Well that sucks. 

Such a classy way to do it. Made it so special many times. 

And it it was an actual environmental concern, folks will be using more resources now to wrap the products themselves. Apple used biodegradable materials. Walmart doesn’t. Accomplishes nothing other than removing a great thing. 
    edited July 2023 radarthekatAnilu_777watto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 5 of 14
    PancakePancake Posts: 42member
    Well that sucks. 

And it it was an actual environmental concern, folks will be using more resources now to wrap the products themselves. Apple used biodegradable materials. Walmart doesn’t. Accomplishes nothing other than removing a great thing. 
    No they won’t. The gift wrapping was only on shipped items and it cost the consumer extra money. They are still having Apple ship the item and aren’t going to think about wrapping it. The Apple box is already wrapping enough. 
    Spitbathronn9secondkox2
  • Reply 6 of 14
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ... an elegant unbleached cardboard or plant based option would get my vote for all ...
    9secondkox2leighr
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Well that is a good thing.  I am certain all that red ribbon was very expensive.  Now maybe Apple can drop the price of their products by 15%.
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Well that is a good thing.  I am certain all that red ribbon was very expensive.  Now maybe Apple can drop the price of their products by 15%.
    Along with 50% of their quality, yeah, not going to happen since that market is saturated already.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Pancake said:
    Well that sucks. 

No they won’t. The gift wrapping was only on shipped items and it cost the consumer extra money. They are still having Apple ship the item and aren’t going to think about wrapping it. The Apple box is already wrapping enough. 
    If you don’t get your gift wrapped item (irrelevant if you ship to the recipient or receive it at your house until it’s time to give) then you’ll wrap it yourself - likely with thin plastic paper, which also cost extra money (to the giver btw, not the recipient). And probably a bag and a cheap looking ribbon that’s worse for the environment. Most people don’t just have the bare product shipped to someone. It’s usually sent to the buyers home and given in person. Like normal humans do.
    edited July 2023 watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingammike1
  • Reply 10 of 14
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,313member
    What is Larry David going to do now?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    I suppose that the majority of people who were using this service are just going to have to sing happy birthday to themselves and make the best of it.
    darkvader
  • Reply 12 of 14
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    hmlongco said:

And on a side note, let me say that it's nice to finally have a day when every other article isn't shilling for Amazon....
    Thank you. 
    darkvaderwilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 14
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    I can't see anything wrong with the move itself but it has nothing to do with the environment.

As a general rule I'm not in favor of single use materials unless they are necessary for some reason. At the same time though, I try not to be an extremist. 

We don't get expensive devices every day and if the packaging is easily and practically recyclable, I think it's a nice option to have. 

Count me in on Bobolicious' option of doing away with fancy packaging on consumer goods. 

It is all in our mindset and we need to move onto a different way of thinking. 

I see a Think Different vibe coming on! 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Pancake said:
    Well that sucks. 

That's simply not true. Nobody giving as a gift is not skipping some sort of gift wrap, be it wrapping paper or a gift bag.