Netflix won't be making a native Apple Vision Pro app

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited July 2023

The Apple Vision Pro probably won't have a native app experience for Netflix at launch, with the major streaming service allegedly declining to produce a custom app for Apple's headset.

The Netflix native app experience for the Meta Quest
The Netflix native app experience for the Meta Quest

The Apple Vision Pro will offer its users a more engaging experience, including for apps that are used for streaming video. However, while some are expected to go down the route of producing a full experience for the Apple Vision Pro, at least one won't be putting much effort into it.

In Sunday's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman was apparently told that Netflix has "no current plans to develop a native app for the Vision Pro."

While Netflix won't go down the native app route, it will still offer some level of video streaming. As Apple claims that developers can easily convert iPad apps to work on the Apple Vision Pro, it's probable that Netflix will at least convert its tablet app for the headset.

Netflix does already offer a more immersive streaming experience on other VR platforms. For the Meta Quest line, the Netflix app includes an environment of a cosy room, complete with tchotchkes and pieces of furniture, in front of a large virtual television.

Despite the lack of an official native Netflix app, others are anticipated to make more of an effort for the Apple Vision Pro. Disney has confirmed it will be producing 3D interactive experiences as part of the Disney+ app, tapping franchises such as "Star Wars" and 3D replays of sporting events for ESPN.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    That’s fine. I’d put Netflix’s long term viability at less than possible but no higher so it really doesn’t matter whether they have an Apple Vision Pro or not. 
    edited July 2023 watto_cobraiqatedoFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 19
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 229member
    'no current plans'

Seems perfectly understandable - Netflix has 200 million subscribers across the world. Vision Pro is initially going to cater to only a TINY fraction of that addressable market - US only, relatively expensive and with production restrains, making it a 500,000 unit (at best) in first-year product if the Sony rumour issues are true. 

From Netflix's perspective, they have enough apps to contend with on TVs, computers and phones to maintain. Why waste engineering resources on pleasing a tiny few if it doesn't bring in additional revenue?

I suspect Netflix will, when Vision is addressing a bigger market developed a headset tier which will cost more.
    williamlondondesignrelijahgwatto_cobraFileMakerFellerbyronl
  • Reply 3 of 19
    You can access Netflix through the head set via Safari.  Is Netflix thinking...
  • Reply 4 of 19
    AladickAladick Posts: 4member
    They will.  Eventually.
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Why would someone want to see virtual furniture while watching a movie?
    williamlondondarkvaderwatto_cobraFileMakerFellerSpitbathbyronl
  • Reply 6 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    That decision will last all of one hour upon the introduction of the Apple Vision Pro at the Apple store, and the same also applies to any other developer sitting on the fence early next year.
    edited July 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    danox said:
    That decision will last all of one hour upon the introduction of the Apple Vision Pro at the Apple store, and the same also applies to any other developer sitting on the fence early next year.
    You really think a lot of people will want to sit around wearing goggles to watch shows or movies??   Wow…. I completely disagree.  I actually think the idea is bizzare.
    williamlondondesignrdarkvadermuthuk_vanalingammobird
  • Reply 8 of 19
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    wdowell said:
    'no current plans'

Seems perfectly understandable - Netflix has 200 million subscribers across the world. Vision Pro is initially going to cater to only a TINY fraction of that addressable market - US only, relatively expensive and with production restrains, making it a 500,000 unit (at best) in first-year product if the Sony rumour issues are true. 

From Netflix's perspective, they have enough apps to contend with on TVs, computers and phones to maintain. Why waste engineering resources on pleasing a tiny few if it doesn't bring in additional revenue?

I suspect Netflix will, when Vision is addressing a bigger market developed a headset tier which will cost more.
    That and Apple is not making any friends with their 30% commission on things like Netflix subs. Some devs like Netflix used to be honoured to work with Apple, now it's more out of necessity than desire unfortunately.
    designrdarkvaderbyronl
  • Reply 9 of 19
    elijahg said:
    wdowell said:
    'no current plans'

That and Apple is not making any friends with their 30% commission on things like Netflix subs. Some devs like Netflix used to be honoured to work with Apple, now it's more out of necessity than desire unfortunately.
    Netflix doesn't offer In App purchasing and hasn't for half a decade. So they pay Apple 0% of their subscriptions. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    So apps have to be modified to work on this thing?  Ugh.  That makes me want one a LOT less.

If this thing could run Mac apps, I'd want one.  But without that it's just a really expensive toy.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    darkvader said:
    So apps have to be modified to work on this thing?  Ugh.  That makes me want one a LOT less.

If this thing could run Mac apps, I'd want one.  But without that it's just a really expensive toy.
    It seems so far apps need to be modified to break out of being a flat plain floating in your visual space. What is unknown is which app Apple will offer if there is no dedicated app. I suspect it will vary for different styles of apps for video streaming apps I'd assume the AppleTV app would be the one Apple could offer to work most naturally with a look and click interface. 
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 12 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    M68000 said:
    danox said:
    You really think a lot of people will want to sit around wearing goggles to watch shows or movies??   Wow…. I completely disagree.  I actually think the idea is bizzare.
    It gets expensive for multiple people to do this but having a personal 3D IMAX OLED-quality theater with noise-cancelling spatial audio would be nice for watching some blockbuster movies. Whether they'd be comfortable to wear for 3 hours remains to be seen but people who used it first-hand said it was fine for at least the half hour they tested it.

I reckon this product will evolve quite quickly in the first few iterations. The lighter it becomes, the less padding is needed. iPad -> iPad Air cut 1/3rd the weight in 3 years.
    darkvader said:

It can be used as a display for the Mac so in that sense it will run every Mac app on day 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkq9Rgoj8E&t=5523s

Apps have to be modified for nearly every new platform, it has a completely different UI but given that it supports a Mac display, it should be easy to port Mac apps over to run natively the same way, although likely limited to App Store compatible apps. Web apps will be able to run USDZ scenes.
    williamlondondanoxFileMakerFellerbyronl
  • Reply 13 of 19
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 621member
    Why would they make an app for <2000 people? Once there is a consumer version of the headset, you can bet there will be an app.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Note that Netflix removed integration from the TV app on Apple TV a couple of years ago. Maybe it wasn't worth their while, but it degrades the experience for Apple TV users. You can't access any Netflix content from the same place as most of the other content. For me, checking Netflix for stuff to watch ends up being an afterthought.

Yes, the market for the Vision Pro is small… NOW, but wait a few years... and for a company of Netflix's size and with the developer support that Apple provides, making a native app involves little effort. I guess the content is the hard part.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 15 of 19
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    Yes, the user base at least at the beginning will not be big. But as Disney+ announced their native support from start on, I think Netflix will change their mind soon after the release
    danox
  • Reply 16 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    M68000 said:
    danox said:

But…. iMac, OS X, iPods, iPhones, iPads, Apple Watch’s, AirPods, Studio Display, Pro Display XDR, Apple Silicon, etc. etc… Bizarre? Apple’s history says differently.

Buying more Apple shares between now and the release date of the Apple Vision Pro next year a very easy decision. Also, court-side seats with an Apple Vision Pro sounds pretty good, buy your Apple shares now if a 6 to 9 month head start (tip off) by Apple doesn’t make it easy well nothing will, but you can’t say you didn’t receive notice most
    of the public is still clueless as to what is coming up in regards to the Apple new ecosystem.

Live Long, and Prosperous, thank you Apple, and thank you AppleInsider for the tip off.

edited July 2023
  • Reply 17 of 19
    danox said:
    M68000 said:
    danox said:

But…. iMac, OS X, iPods, iPhones, iPads, Apple Watch’s, AirPods, Studio Display, Pro Display XDR, Apple Silicon, etc. etc… Bizarre? Apple’s history says differently.

Buying more Apple shares between now and the release date of the Apple Vision Pro next year a very easy decision. Also, court-side seats with an Apple Vision Pro sounds pretty good, buy your Apple shares now if a 6 to 9 month head start (tip off) by Apple doesn’t make it easy well nothing will, but you can’t say you didn’t receive notice most
    of the public is still clueless as to what is coming up in regards to the Apple new ecosystem.

Live Long, and Prosperous, thank you Apple, and thank you AppleInsider for the tip off.

Apple announced this weeks ago. Pretty sure it's already priced in.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    SpitbathSpitbath Posts: 91member
    Why would someone want to see virtual furniture while watching a movie?
    I agree. But if I could design my own Barbie Dream House to watch 'Barbie' in I guess it could be kind of cool?
    byronl