7457 RM canceled by Motorola, 970 on track

Comments

• Reply 21 of 182
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Addditionally the 1.8ghz 970 is on par with a 2.8ghz Pllll as well, so the 1.8ghz is just the start of something goog

Like that goog stuff
  • Reply 22 of 182
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Addditionally the 1.8ghz 970 is on par with a 2.8ghz Pllll as well, so the 1.8ghz is just the start of something goog

I think we will be pleasantly surprised at the performance gain Apple creates with these new systems. The system technology is much better than anything Wintel out there. The CPUs may be on par, but the performance should be better on a Mac. God, do you know how long I've been wanting to say that again!
  • Reply 23 of 182
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    yes. what rhumgod said...

to me its not the chip but the subsytem and with this new bus and hints of a vector or gpu chip i think as far as the overall speed we are looking at for the 970 macs its' going to be the a digital equivilant of...

Its not the heat its the humidity...
  • Reply 24 of 182
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Well, with Motorola out of the picture for the G4's future, maybe IBM will make one. Since a G4 will no longer be in higher performance Macs, there may be no need for SMP. So, the idea of an IBM G3 with AltiVec and a good bus may come to pass. Apple will call it a G4, since that is what it looks like when considering software system requirements.
  • Reply 25 of 182
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

From http://macbidouille.com/

Motorola has canceled the 7457RM that was supposed to arrive early 2004 but later was delayed to late 2004.

macbidouille does the interpretation that Motorola want to abandon the G4 all together. If that is the case or if the G4 migrate even deeper into the embedded market remain to be seen.

This suggest that Apple will move over to 970 faster as there will be no alternative betwen the IBM G3 and the IBM 970.

This is actually good news, now Apple do not have to worry how to juggle IBM cpus vs Motorola perhaps delivered some time

The bigger the customer Apple is the more clout they will have regarding the 9x0 CPUs....

Other good news is

IBM will deliver 1.4 GHz 970 May first while the faster will came 3 weeks later

There is an another good new : Mac Bidouille will have an english version (not for the forums). You will not be obliged to traduce it. It's no need to be candidate, their list is close.
  • Reply 26 of 182
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

....... What are you trying to argue, that they stay at 1.4Ghz G4 forever, or go x86?

Those are the only other options Apple has right now. Considering those options, I think Apple made the right choice. ......

Remember Moki's references to x86? Maybe Apple truly does like options. Interesting times for Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 182
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Hardly suggesting that Apple keep leting moto ream their sensitive tissues. They NEED a 970 NOW, but they have to find a way to keep a second supplier in the que just in case and right now the best bet, despite their past remains Moto. Rather than ALL IBM all the time, it's probably wise to intermediately bring the lineup to a reversal of it's current state. IBM based pro machines ad Moto based consumer machines. At least for a little while, and see if Moto can't come back, or sell them some designs (or hand them over) to allow Apple to protect itself from the small (desktop) volume problems that seem to periodically aflict PPC production and development.

Absolutely bring in the 970's as soon as possible, and into as many lines as possible, but they have to keep a line on a second chip supplier.

We can blame moto, they deserve it, but Apple deserves just as much blame for getting caught with their pants down. It took them 18-24 months to respond to problems in moto, a disasterous time as anyone even remotely connected to Apple will testify. If that should happen again? It could be catastrophic, especially if their marketshare ever climbs back into the 7-10% range. The market they have now is mostly the hardest of the die hards -- people that will wait just a little longer and tolerate just a little more crap. If their market share ever goes back up, and it must if want to keep a viable mac platform, a similar stagnation would cripple them, their stock, the retail business, their supply backlog. In a sense they've been lucky that they didn't have that much market to lose, but neither can they afford to stay where they are in terms of marketshare.
  • Reply 28 of 182
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    What we need is competition between IBM/MOT similar to that that developed between Intel/AMD. Let them fight it out to see who's king. 'tid be nice.
  • Reply 29 of 182
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'd still like to see a Dual 1.8GHz 970 on my desk as soon as possible. Then Apple must move it over to the XServe, and I would cluster a small render wall of my own. Ahh yea!
  • Reply 30 of 182
    I don't see where having IBM as a single supplier is that big of an issue since IBM is planning to compete with Intel in the server space (blades and big iron) they will be forced to improve their chips and chip manufacturing processes (.13 -> .09 -> .0??) to keep up. Moto hasn't played in this space since going embedded. Screw the embedded market, give me a chip that other companies what to create PC systems around. The fact that IBM already has Power5 running and Power6 being designed is a great thing.

You know they have some of the best processing technologies going. The did SOI first. They did Copper first. They'll have .09 soon. They have demonstrated superfast cores. Plus they want to use the stuff themselves.

After Apple finishes killing OS 9, Classic will be next. After that, who knows. Should Apple start getting left behind again then go use Intel's chips. Or AMD's (if they are still in the ball game).
  • Reply 31 of 182
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

http://macbidouille.com/ should employ someone to translate their articles into English. They are the largest source of unconfirmed Apple-rumors nowdays, and they should take advantage of that.

Absolutely!

Do we have an AI member truly fluent in BOTH English and French who can help us out now?

Here's the Sherlock translation of the actual article: (The original post in this thread is a paraphrase)

"The cloth does not finish any any more burning between Motorola and APPLE.

They notified in APPLE their intention to cease development of the successor of the 7457, the 7457RM, which was to use the interface rapid IO. It was to use a great part of advanced of G5, since, abandoned while remaining in 32 Bits. The 7457RM with the departure planned for the beginning of 2004 had already been pushed back at at the end of 2004. You will note that this blow, Motorola preserved the 1 year of notice.

Comment except rumour: It is smelled well that Motorola wants to drop G4, now that APPLE ignores some for his top-of-the-range market. One can wonder which processor will be present in the machines of input of range of APPLE, once the PPC 970 installed.

To counterbalance this bad news, will know that IBM will deliver chips PPC 970 to 1,4 GHz as from May first. The faster chips will be deliverable from the 21."
  • Reply 32 of 182
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Absolutely!

Do we have an AI member truly fluent in BOTH English and French who can help us out now?

They've already got someone to do that, actually. Translations should start appearing shortly.

It would be great if it was Powerdoc, but maybe we'll have to settle for someone else.
  • Reply 33 of 182
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

They've already got someone to do that, actually. Translations should start appearing shortly.

It would be great if it was Powerdoc, but maybe we'll have to settle for someone else.

Thanks Amorph, but i am not truly fluent in english, sufficiently to traduce them correctly, but not sufficiantly to made it in a good english. However the place have been already taken according to their last update.

Sorry but i will still have the necessary time to annoy a lot of you in AO
  • Reply 34 of 182
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

However the place have been already taken according to their last update.

Where?!?! I could find no proper English translation or update of any kind.
  • Reply 35 of 182
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

What we need is competition between IBM/MOT similar to that that developed between Intel/AMD. Let them fight it out to see who's king. 'tid be nice.

While technically they [Intel/AMD] are in competition, it's like having "The Rock" in the ring against a retarded 6-year-old. Intel can basically fab at will, and drop CPU prices anytime AMD gets close. Witness the current crop of Intel CPUs and chipsets.

It is very expensive to fab. Only the biggest companies will be able to pull it off. "The little guys" will eventually need to hook up with the big boys in order to keep up. Sub 90nm processes are *expensive* in R&D and in manufacturing.

This just means that the competition isn't between IBM and MOT, but IBM and Intel.
  • Reply 36 of 182
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Where?!?! I could find no proper English translation or update of any kind.

Well more precisely, they said that their list of candidates for the job was close, and that they are going to start the selection. The traduction is not for tomorrow, but i am ready to translate any article in whom you may be interested on Mac bidouille. May be the english version of Mac Bidouille should be ready in may.
  • Reply 37 of 182
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Well more precisely, they said that their list of candidates for the job was close, and that they are going to start the selection. The traduction is not for tomorrow, but i am ready to translate any article in whom you may be interested on Mac bidouille. May be the english version of Mac Bidouille should be ready in may.

So what you're saying is that Mac Bidouille will have a proper English language version of their site beginning in May? Good news!
  • Reply 38 of 182
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Ahhh the only problem is that of the many rumors MacBid has stated...no one has come true yet. I'll have to wait and see on this but I doubt this is true.

They did have the leaked pics of the MDD towers first.

Everyone thought they were fake, but (obviously) they were not.
  • Reply 39 of 182
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

They did have the leaked pics of the MDD towers first.

Everyone thought they were fake, but (obviously) they were not.

"Apple would never design something that ugly!"

Still get a chuckle out of that.
  • Reply 40 of 182
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nonsuch

"Apple would never design something that ugly!"

Still get a chuckle out of that.

I still can't stand the way those towers look