Base iPhone 15 models will get 48 megapixel cameras, says Kuo

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    M68000M68000 Posts: 778member
    oberpongo said:
    With 48mp on the low end iPhone what will be the differentiator for the 15 pro?
    3 cameras instead of 2 ?
    Alex1N
  • Reply 22 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,516member
    I don’t know what percentage of smartphone buyers base their purchase decision based solely on the characteristics of the camera array, but I’d bet it is a fairly small number. It would be interesting to know. 

My smartphone purchase decision and purchase intervals are based on a weighted aggregation of product factors, including how the device works with other devices I own, battery runtime, display quality, storage capacity, device performance, network performance, continuation of hardware and software support by the manufacturer, personal ease of use, size, weight, affordability, etc. 

I’m assuming that most smartphone buyer follow a similar process but their weighting of product factors that influence their purchase decision are self-determined based on their individual preferences. When it comes to the camera array every iPhone since the 4s has been good enough to max out the weight I apply to the camera. But that’s me, not anyone else, so I totally understand why some folks put a much larger weight on the camera. 

None of this means that I don’t care what Apple does with features that don’t weigh heavily in my purchase decision. Apple has to remain competitive to continue to support the iPhone product line. If Apple falls behind the competition on any key features it would weaken their position in the market. All of my smartphone purchases have been Apple and I’d like to keep it that way. I prefer Apple over all other brands and I’m deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem. 

The more competitive Apple is in the market the more likely they are to keep investing so there will be an amazing new iPhone available the next time I’m ready to  replace my existing iPhone for a new iPhone. So yeah, putting a killer camera array on the next iPhone matters to me even though I’m totally fine with the camera on my current iPhone 14 Pro Max. 

One thing that is certain with respect to the iPhone camera: the market for dedicated point & shoot cameras  has been nearly erased. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 23 of 29
    dewme said:
    I don’t know what percentage of smartphone buyers base their purchase decision based solely on the characteristics of the camera array, but I’d bet it is a fairly small number. It would be interesting to know. 

My smartphone purchase decision and purchase intervals are based on a weighted aggregation of product factors, including how the device works with other devices I own, battery runtime, display quality, storage capacity, device performance, network performance, continuation of hardware and software support by the manufacturer, personal ease of use, size, weight, affordability, etc. 

I’m assuming that most smartphone buyer follow a similar process but their weighting of product factors that influence their purchase decision are self-determined based on their individual preferences. When it comes to the camera array every iPhone since the 4s has been good enough to max out the weight I apply to the camera. But that’s me, not anyone else, so I totally understand why some folks put a much larger weight on the camera. 

None of this means that I don’t care what Apple does with features that don’t weigh heavily in my purchase decision. Apple has to remain competitive to continue to support the iPhone product line. If Apple falls behind the competition on any key features it would weaken their position in the market. All of my smartphone purchases have been Apple and I’d like to keep it that way. I prefer Apple over all other brands and I’m deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem. 

The more competitive Apple is in the market the more likely they are to keep investing so there will be an amazing new iPhone available the next time I’m ready to  replace my existing iPhone for a new iPhone. So yeah, putting a killer camera array on the next iPhone matters to me even though I’m totally fine with the camera on my current iPhone 14 Pro Max. 

One thing that is certain with respect to the iPhone camera: the market for dedicated point & shoot cameras  has been nearly erased. 
    Perhaps cheap point and shoot has been nearly erased as you say,  but not serious camera equipment,  the form factor of the handheld phone has physical limits of what can be done with sensors and lens. The 48 megapixel spec makes great marketing hype to sell more phones.  If the sensor size increased, this would be news.  But, only so much can be done in the  physical space of smartphones.  That’s how i see it and i’m sticking to it, lol.   Anyone who knows about photography knows that some camera lens cost as much as the whole iphone and sometimes several times more.  And they are worth it.  A cellphone can never duplicate what a good lens along with larger sensor can do, but the yearly hype for phones will continue…
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 143member
    I made the decision for the 12 Pro Max base on two factors - the screen size (failing eyesight) and the ‘telephoto’ lens (not available on the other models). The most used lens on the phone for me is the telephoto (the least-used for me is the ‘ultra-wide).
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,516member
    M68000 said:
    dewme said:

Perhaps cheap point and shoot has been nearly erased as you say,  but not serious camera equipment,  the form factor of the handheld phone has physical limits of what can be done with sensors and lens. The 48 megapixel spec makes great marketing hype to sell more phones.  If the sensor size increased, this would be news.  But, only so much can be done in the  physical space of smartphones.  That’s how i see it and i’m sticking to it, lol.   Anyone who knows about photography knows that some camera lens cost as much as the whole iphone and sometimes several times more.  And they are worth it.  A cellphone can never duplicate what a good lens along with larger sensor can do, but the yearly hype for phones will continue…
    Yes, of course, I’m referring to the consumer grade digital cameras that were such a big deal before smartphone cameras made them unnecessary. The same thing can be said about video cameras. While it is possible for someone with the right skills to make a movie using a high end iPhone the market for professional production video cameras isn’t going away anytime soon. 
  • Reply 26 of 29
    scatzscatz Posts: 30member
    For the camera in the iPhone, low light, anti-shake and a small level of zoom is what i need. I have an iPhoneX which does all this admirably ! When the day comes that i have to change the iPhone, i hope there will be a model available that is as slim, light and effective as this super iPhone :smile: 
  • Reply 27 of 29
    scatz said:
    For the camera in the iPhone, low light, anti-shake and a small level of zoom is what i need. I have an iPhoneX which does all this admirably ! When the day comes that i have to change the iPhone, i hope there will be a model available that is as slim, light and seffective as this super iPhone :smile: 
    Congrats on getting the most out of your iphone X.   I think that 5.8 inch screen size might just be the perfect size for a phone.  Apparently Apple does not think that way.   I can tell you the slighly smaller 13 mini is a great option and obviously the common 6.1 screen size as other option.  If they did the 5.8 inch size again,  i think i would have to get one.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 239member
    I must say the camera performance of my current iPhome 14 Max Pro and my iPhone 11 Max Pro isn’t much of a difference. And I still have 12MP pictures as I am not interested in using the RAW format. So I don’t perceive much innovation in camera performance in the last three iterations. 
  • Reply 29 of 29
    It will be a big stress to iCloud Photos. Uploading becomes horrific!