India couple accused of selling baby to buy iPhone 14

Posted:
in iPhone

A couple in India's West Bengal reportedly sold their 8-month-old baby in order to film Reels for Instagram, and allegedly also attempted to sell their 7-year-old daughter.

Apple's iPhone 14
Apple's iPhone 14

Reels are a TikTok-like part of Instagram, consisting of short-form videos. The couple are said to have intended traveling to create these Reels videos.

But the couple from North 24 Parganas, an area of south-east India, appear to have been confronted first by concerned neighbours. According to India's DailyO site, neighbours noticed the sudden absence of the baby, and how at the same time, the couple now had a iPhone despite struggling financially.

When confronted, the mother of the couple confessed to selling the baby, and also to using the money to fund travel around West Bengal to create Instagram Reels.

The mother, identified by DailyO as being named Sathi, has been arrested. So too has Priyanka Ghosh, the woman accused of buying the baby.

So far the baby's father, known as Jaydev, is still at large. There is no further news about the baby, but DailyO reports that at some point, the father also tried selling his daughter.

Police are continuing to investigate.

If reports that the model was an iPhone 14 are correct, then the price as new from Apple India is the equivalent of $975 for the base configuration.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 367member
    You notice that they did not sell the kid for a Samsung phone.
    cg27tokyojimuiOS_Guy80Alex_Vdewmechasmwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 13
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Damn, not even a Pro Max?  I suppose it’s better than eating your son for a blu-ray player.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    I hope the Indian authorities are incredibly harsh in their punishments for this horrifyingly awful and self-centered couple. They need to be made an example of as a deterrent to other idiots.

I hope the parents can be rehabilitated to understand what a horrible thing they have done, but if they cannot then it might be best that the children are relocated with either relatives or another family that will give them the love and care they deserve.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,341member
    chasm said:
    I hope the Indian authorities are incredibly harsh in their punishments for this horrifyingly awful and self-centered couple. They need to be made an example of as a deterrent to other idiots.
    While abhorrent, the above sentiment about retribution and harsh punishments (the "lock 'em up!" mentality) does very little to "reform" anyone.  It merely contributes to prison overcrowding and making bad people worse.  When did prison really reform anyone?  At least in the USA, prison merely amounts to rich people committing suicide because they can't handle it, and pretty much everyone else getting same-sex raped or abused in some form.  The mental anguish and bad conditions don't often make people reflect on the bad they've done, nor does prison often end up provoking positive and lasting change that benefits them and society.  Then when they get out, they are marked for life, and they find it difficult getting good jobs or fitting into peaceful society.  Many commit crimes after getting out so they can go back!

It's all about people who aren't in prison having this fanciful idea that our current system is reasonably good (it isn't) and that it can help people who commit crimes so as to better help society as a whole (it largely doesn't).  

At the end of the day, prison is basically a very bad place that keeps people who allegedly (but not always) did something wrong (as per a judge and/or jury consisting of fallible human beings) out of the eye of "decent/innocent" society.  Locking the bad guys away tends to protect people on society, although at taxpayer expense.  But prison is also is a training ground for bad behavior when and if these people ultimately are released back into society on parole.  

Some say it's the best we can do, but that's only because most people don't want to give more thought to it than we have already.  In the end, it's sad when I read stories like this because I know the people involved probably won't be reformed, and the people who scream "lock 'em up!" really aren't bettering society in the end.
    OferFileMakerFellerbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 13
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    jdw said:
    chasm said:
    While abhorrent, the above sentiment about retribution and harsh punishments (the "lock 'em up!" mentality) does very little to "reform" anyone.  It merely contributes to prison overcrowding and making bad people worse.  When did prison really reform anyone?  At least in the USA, prison merely amounts to rich people committing suicide because they can't handle it, and pretty much everyone else getting same-sex raped or abused in some form.  The mental anguish and bad conditions don't often make people reflect on the bad they've done, nor does prison often end up provoking positive and lasting change that benefits them and society.  Then when they get out, they are marked for life, and they find it difficult getting good jobs or fitting into peaceful society.  Many commit crimes after getting out so they can go back!

It's all about people who aren't in prison having this fanciful idea that our current system is reasonably good (it isn't) and that it can help people who commit crimes so as to better help society as a whole (it largely doesn't).  

At the end of the day, prison is basically a very bad place that keeps people who allegedly (but not always) did something wrong (as per a judge and/or jury consisting of fallible human beings) out of the eye of "decent/innocent" society.  Locking the bad guys away tends to protect people on society, although at taxpayer expense.  But prison is also is a training ground for bad behavior when and if these people ultimately are released back into society on parole.  

Some say it's the best we can do, but that's only because most people don't want to give more thought to it than we have already.  In the end, it's sad when I read stories like this because I know the people involved probably won't be reformed, and the people who scream "lock 'em up!" really aren't bettering society in the end.
    Very well-said! Incarceration is torture and really does very little (to nothing) to reform the people who are sent to prison and also doesn’t help alleviate crime.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Nothing new to be discussed here. Parents have done and doing horrible things with/to their children. 
    A judge sentenced a Detroit mother to life in prison Friday for killing two of her four children and storing their bodies for years in a home freezer. HANAHAN, SC (WIS) - Two children found dead under an apartment sink were bathed and dressed by their mother before being wrapped in trash bags. Police in North Carolina, Mom(Bridgette Morgan Smith) accused of hiding remains of two babies in trash bags. The babies' bodies were found in a crawlspace under Smith's mother's home.

I can go on and on. Happens lot worse everywhere. So, why this incident in far away from US in a India is news worth discussing on Appleinsider ?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    To the people commenting on my post: try reading beyond the first sentence, mmmkay?

My hope is that they could be rehabilitated and become loving parents, BUT if not THEN they should be harshly punished so as to prevent the spread of such crimes.

I’m sorry I put the sentences in non-linear order so you missed the important part thanks to your ADD. I’ll try to spell it out more simply next time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    chasm said:
    To the people commenting on my post: try reading beyond the first sentence, mmmkay?

My hope is that they could be rehabilitated and become loving parents, BUT if not THEN they should be harshly punished so as to prevent the spread of such crimes.

I’m sorry I put the sentences in non-linear order so you missed the important part thanks to your ADD. I’ll try to spell it out more simply next time.

Just an observation, the prospect of harsh punishment doesn't appear to be much of a deterrent in the U.S., based on repeat offender statistics.  Such is at least part of the implication in Jdw's response.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    You notice that they did not sell the kid for a Samsung phone.
    Cold, cold. But true.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    jdw said:
    chasm said:

This is only criticism. What is your better solution? Let's discuss it. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 13
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,341member
    jdw said:
    chasm said:

The post I quoted and commented under was absolutely in the category of "criticism" toward the wicked parents in this story. (Yes, I feel they are wicked for that they did, and yet I am not in any way contradicting what I said in my previous post either.) And yet you said nothing at all in this thread until my post, implying that my comment was the only critical one. You and I have disagreed in this forum before, so I am not too surprised you hand-picked my post out of all the others.  Your post post amounts to little more than criticism of my post (which is truly very funny), and such implies you take the same "critical" stance toward the parents as the person I quoted earlier, and imples that you at least somewhat disagree with the words I put forth in my previous post.  I view that as problem point number one, and for that reason alone, I really shouldn't even be replying to you at all, but I have a second reason as well...

I am also aware that the vast majority of your posts in this forum, that I have seen, tend to hunt down any comments even seemingly related to one particular country that I shall not name, and I am also aware that country tends to not have the best track record for human rights, not to mention it's tendency toward harsh punishments.  As such, I suspect that any conversation I could have with you on this subject would not result in you being convinced by any statements I could make, and instead you would merely argue in defense of the current status quote of jail and punishment, as if the status quo is somehow the best society can do.

You won't be satisfied with this FINAL post from me in this thread (I shall not be posting again in this thread, regardless of any follow-up posts), and no doubt you'll try to chide me wrongfully for "having no valid arguments."  But for the two reasons I've just mentioned, this is really all I need to say or should say on the subject.  Even so, as a lover of all things Apple, I am happy to say "one more thing"...

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

I tend to fall into that category because I am almost never satisfied with the status quo, even when it comes to Apple.  That makes me a crazy, misfit, rebel who always creates trouble, at least in the minds of those who later try to vilify me.  But I really do see things differently.  And I boldly wish to say that more people ought to THINK DIFFERENT too.  Maybe we really can CHANGE THINGS for the better, if we are crazy enough to think we can change the world.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    jdw said:
    jdw said:
    chasm said:

The post I quoted and commented under was absolutely in the category of "criticism" toward the wicked parents in this story. (Yes, I feel they are wicked for that they did, and yet I am not in any way contradicting what I said in my previous post either.) And yet you said nothing at all in this thread until my post, implying that my comment was the only critical one. You and I have disagreed in this forum before, so I am not too surprised you hand-picked my post out of all the others.  Your post post amounts to little more than criticism of my post (which is truly very funny), and such implies you take the same "critical" stance toward the parents as the person I quoted earlier, and imples that you at least somewhat disagree with the words I put forth in my previous post.  I view that as problem point number one, and for that reason alone, I really shouldn't even be replying to you at all, but I have a second reason as well...

I am also aware that the vast majority of your posts in this forum, that I have seen, tend to hunt down any comments even seemingly related to one particular country that I shall not name, and I am also aware that country tends to not have the best track record for human rights, not to mention it's tendency toward harsh punishments.  As such, I suspect that any conversation I could have with you on this subject would not result in you being convinced by any statements I could make, and instead you would merely argue in defense of the current status quote of jail and punishment, as if the status quo is somehow the best society can do.

You won't be satisfied with this FINAL post from me in this thread (I shall not be posting again in this thread, regardless of any follow-up posts), and no doubt you'll try to chide me wrongfully for "having no valid arguments."  But for the two reasons I've just mentioned, this is really all I need to say or should say on the subject.  Even so, as a lover of all things Apple, I am happy to say "one more thing"...

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

I tend to fall into that category because I am almost never satisfied with the status quo, even when it comes to Apple.  That makes me a crazy, misfit, rebel who always creates trouble, at least in the minds of those who later try to vilify me.  But I really do see things differently.  And I boldly wish to say that more people ought to THINK DIFFERENT too.  Maybe we really can CHANGE THINGS for the better, if we are crazy enough to think we can change the world.
    Ok, I will take the bait this time. Usually, I enjoy reading your posts for the thoughts/insights/perspective on the topics being discussed. But I am a bit perplexed with your comments on this thread. In one of the rarest occurrences, I completely with @waveparticle on this topic. But your criticism of @waveparticle does not apply to me. So could you please share your thoughts on what is the better solution than the current criminal procedure codes that various countries have adopted? I wouldn't claim to have knowledge on the legal system or best practices to rehabilitate the criminals. I am sincerely curious to know, in your opiniion - what is the better alternative than what we already have.
    waveparticle
  • Reply 13 of 13
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 515member
    Ofer said:
    jdw said:
    chasm said:

Very well-said! Incarceration is torture and really does very little (to nothing) to reform the people who are sent to prison and also doesn’t help alleviate crime.
    Decriminalize everything - zero crime society!