Apple buys Foxconn servers for testing its AI services

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware

Apple's artificial intelligence work has now extended to it needing a series of servers for testing, and Foxconn is its exclusive supplier.

Apple is to test AI services which might boost Siri's capabilities
Apple is to test AI services which might boost Siri's capabilities

Tim Cook has said that Apple has been working on AI for years, and it's Machine Learning tools also pervade everything it does, but it hasn't got a ChatGPT-like app as rivals have. Or at least, it doesn't have one outside of internal use.

Now according to the South China Morning Post, Apple has ordered an unknown number of servers that are specifically for the training and testing of AI services. The servers are to be made by a division of Apple supplier Foxconn, called Foxconn Industrial Internet, and built in Vietnam.

Foxconn is reportedly already Apple's biggest supplier of servers for its data centers. The South China Morning Post says that Foxconn accounts for approximately 43% of the server market globally, not just within Apple.

Neither Apple nor Foxconn have commented. However, it is believed that this division of Foxconn already supplies servers to ChatGPT OpenAI, as well as Nvidia and Amazon Web Services.

News of the order follows recent conflicting reports from analysts about Apple's plans to compete against AI chatbots. Bloomberg has said Apple intends a major launch in 2024, but Ming-Chi Kuo says that's unfeasible.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    If true, this is long overdue and if the servers are Apple designed and specifically for training it will be very much a step in the right direction.

Although, more than servers in the traditional sense I would expect them to be cluster boxes housing thousands of accelerator cards. Then all the interconnect technology, software frameworks etc. 
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    Amazing what can happen with no budget constraints :)
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ApplePoor said:
    Oh you better believe there’s a budget!
    that’s why they went with Foxconn, it was cheaper than sourcing their own. 
    Just to get started on smaller projects cost around 5-10 million for the servers. That’s using a smaller data lake than a lot of larger projects. Those take enormous amounts of data and push them through hundreds of servers. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 112member
    Seems kind of odd to see this headline just a couple months after ChatGPT et al put AI into the spotlight.  What are the odds of Apple just happen to need some AI servers at this time - especially, if they've been working on AI for years, as Tim Cook suggested.  To someone more cynical than I, it might seem as if Apple is trying to show in any public way they can that they're not behind on AI.

I hate to beat a dead horse to death, but if Apple had developed some worthwhile generative AI over the years, would Siri be in such a sad state?  I mean, it's been 12+ years since this digital assistant appeared on Apple's platform.  Has anyone noticed any huge improvements in those 12 years?  After a few years, I've pretty much been giving up on my hopes for it and been using it mainly to set an occasional timer or to check on the day's weather.  In the last couple years, I've added asking Siri to turn lights on/off for me.  Anything beyond that, is just too much of an exercise in frustration.  Siri mishears or needs an Internet connection for the most mundane requests  (e.g. requests for stuff that's on my friggin' phone!).  I've never expected Siri to engage in serious two-way conversations, but even asking simple follow-up questions to a previous question have mostly been beyond its ken (I think recently some rudimentary capability was added there for some limited scenarios).  If Apple has spent billions and years on AI, they sure haven't gotten their money's worth with Siri.

AI, of course, is in a lot more things than just conversational AI - Apple has applied it successfully to its object recognition in Photos, voice transcription, and probably other areas.  But Apple's best known AI representative - Siri - remains as dumb as a stone.

edited August 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 15
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    So I wonder what the hardware specs are for those servers. Are these Intel/AMD CPUs with Nvidia GPUs running Linux? Or are they some kind of custom ASi-based servers running macOS?

It would be cool if they packed a bunch M2 Mac mini mainboards together in a box or some such. But I wonder how likely that is... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    cambercamber Posts: 20member
    So why does everyone appear to forget that when Google now and Alexa responded to about 3 languages, Siri was handling 20 languages?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    I promise you this: whatever Apple is going to do with "AI" (the MOST inaccurate word in the tech world right now), it will NOT be a data-mining clown car of often-inaccurate information like Bing Chat, ChatGPT, or Google Bard.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    twolf2919 said:
    AI, of course, is in a lot more things than just conversational AI - Apple has applied it successfully to its object recognition in Photos, voice transcription, and probably other areas.  But Apple's best known AI representative - Siri - remains as dumb as a stone.

It's not at all -- you just don't know how to use it, because you haven't figured out what its limits are.

Siri probably seems "dumb" compared to other, data-mining assistants because it will not mine your data (and sell that data) in order to have a wealth of knowledge about YOU to draw on when you ask a question. Is that dumb? No, that's great! Is it a handicap? Yes, it is.

AppleInsider themselves put out a great video about what you can ask Siri a few years ago, and it can do more than that now -- but 100 percent of what Siri can do (apart from some music and movie trivia, and its terrible jokes) is oriented around simpler use of Apple's existing apps, especially the ones that you use to be productive. I'd recommend you watch this, apply as useful to your daily life, and I think you'll be as happy as I am with Siri: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJjVMZ1ACIs
    edited August 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    chasm said:
    twolf2919 said:

It's not at all -- you just don't know how to use it, because you haven't figured out what its limits are.

Siri probably seems "dumb" compared to other, data-mining assistants because it will not mine your data (and sell that data) in order to have a wealth of knowledge about YOU to draw on when you ask a question. Is that dumb? No, that's great! Is it a handicap? Yes, it is.

AppleInsider themselves put out a great video about what you can ask Siri a few years ago, and it can do more than that now -- but 100 percent of what Siri can do (apart from some music and movie trivia, and its terrible jokes) is oriented around simpler use of Apple's existing apps, especially the ones that you use to be productive. I'd recommend you watch this, apply as useful to your daily life, and I think you'll be as happy as I am with Siri: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJjVMZ1ACIs
    To summarize, SIRI is best suited for looking information from many apps on the iPhone. 
  • Reply 10 of 15
    To summarize, SIRI is best suited for looking information from many apps on the iPhone. 

I actually mostly use it with my HomePods, but yes I suppose that’s so. I use Siri on a daily basis for calendar and reminder/to-do management, sending texts or placing/answering speakerphone calls, telling me what’s next for the day, reading back recent messages or emails, car navigation, playing music and song identification, timer settings, workout management (via Apple Watch), nearby restaurant recommendations, nearby movies playing, controlling smart home devices (I don’t have many, to be fair), and a surprising amount of currency and temperature conversion (damn you Americans with your Fahrenheit!).

There are other things Siri can do, but these are the things I do most, and they seem to work very nearly 100 percent of the time for me. Just lucky, I guess. :smile:
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    camber said:
    So why does everyone appear to forget that when Google now and Alexa responded to about 3 languages, Siri was handling 20 languages?
    BUT BUT BUT
  • Reply 12 of 15
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    chasm said:
    I promise you this: whatever Apple is going to do with "AI" (the MOST inaccurate word in the tech world right now), it will NOT be a data-mining clown car of often-inaccurate information like Bing Chat, ChatGPT, or Google Bard.
    I agree there are some inaccuracies in the results from the Chat Bots you mentioned, but still, they are very helpful.  If you ask me, is the same as search engines.  Sometimes you search for something, and the results could be inaccurate.  But at the end, they are extremely helpful for web users.  

Another thing MS and Google are doing is adding intelligence to their suites of apps. Search for the demo of MS 365 CoPilot and Bard with Google Workspace.  IMO, that's where AI shines, improving apps that most people use, like MS Office and Google Workplace.  And where is Apple in all of this?  Based in what I'm seeing today, they are behind the competition. Let's see what they do in the next few years.  

• Reply 13 of 15
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    ApplePoor said:
    Everyone has a budget.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    So one of the reasons why Apple is taking longer for results to show to the public is how they clean their data to make sure it’s anonymous. That takes time. Then it takes humans to pour over it using SQL to make sure the data is accurate before creating data lakes. Right now there isn’t an automated system to do that yet. 

As far as Siri goes, the team is finally getting more involved using ML in a lot of what Siri does. They are taking their time to make sure user query data is clean before it’s stored, meaning making it anonymous. This takes time, especially if you want privacy which the others in the market don’t care about. 
    It’s not an excuse but it does help explain why it’s taking so long to get it to work right. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    HrebHreb Posts: 83member
    blastdoor said:
    So I wonder what the hardware specs are for those servers. Are these Intel/AMD CPUs with Nvidia GPUs running Linux? Or are they some kind of custom ASi-based servers running macOS?

It would be cool if they packed a bunch M2 Mac mini mainboards together in a box or some such. But I wonder how likely that is... 
    Even ignoring cost, totally wrong quantity of CPU cores and RAM for a modern server in 2023.  Intel or AMD CPUs main processors running linux are much more likely, with specialized hardware for ML processing.
    williamlondon