tvOS 17 beta 5 references iPhone models that don't exist

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2023

A code sleuth has uncovered iPhone model identifiers in tvOS 17 for two devices that don't exist and likely don't belong to iPhone 15 models.

An unknown iPhone appears
An unknown iPhone appears

Apple has many serialization systems, internal naming schemes, and codes to identify different products. The identifier code for iPhone usually looks something like iPhone15,3, which is for iPhone 14 Pro Max.

According to an X post from @aaronp613, Apple has accidentally left two identifiers in the tvOS 17 beta 5 code. Those are iPhone14,1 and iPhone14,9.

An additional X post states that additional iPhone identifiers existed in previous betas but have since been removed. These are likely for the iPhone 15 lineup -- iPhone 15,4, iPhone15,5, iPhone16,1, and iPhone16,2.

Speculation is hovering around an upcoming iPhone SE 4, internal test models for iPhone Fold, or even an unlikely return of the iPhone mini.

iPhone identifiers

The numbering system for iPhone identifiers isn't clear-cut, so it isn't easy to determine what these devices are. It seems the chipset series in use affects the first number.

Here's how Apple has numbered the identifier since it reached the "14" series.

• iPhone 13 mini is iPhone 14,4

• iPhone 13 is iPhone14,5

• iPhone 13 Pro is iPhone14,2

• iPhone 13 Pro Max is iPhone14,3

• iPhone 14 is iPhone14,7

• iPhone 14 Plus is iPhone14,8

• iPhone 14 Pro is iPhone15,2

• iPhone 14 Pro Max is iPhone15,3

Since the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus are going to be using the A16 processor, it is likely they will have iPhone15,x identifiers, as was discovered in the later X post. It isn't clear what iPhone model tvOS 17 beta 5 could be referencing.

More to come

Apple released the fifth developer beta for all of its upcoming releases on Tuesday. Code sleuths like Aaron are only just diving in, and if these identifiers were found, more could likely surface soon.

The code sleuth also discovered a new name for Apple Vision Pro's external battery pack. It was called the MagSafe Battery Pack, likely a placeholder, and is now called the "Magic Battery."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Why is it so hard to find something with AppleInsider's search function? Trying to find more info on the various 17 betas I did a search for iOS 17 betas after watching this video and Search returned:
    https://appleinsider.com/search/?query=iOS+17+beta

This wasn't helpful but going to another site got me what I wanted. WTF AI? Search as been like this as long as I can remember. Did I use bad keywords?
    appleinsideruserwilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 9
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Those are iPhone14,1 and iPhone14,9.
    Speculation is hovering around an upcoming iPhone SE 4, internal test models for iPhone Fold, or even an unlikely return of the iPhone mini.
    Is there any chance Apple included those identifiers as a red herring? I would do that if I were at Apple.

Or is there any chance I could be an undercover Apple employee trying to come up with a red herring false theory here?
    Graeme000Alex1Nchasm
  • Reply 3 of 9
    If it’s a 14.x identifier that would put it on par with the 14/Plus line so I’d say a new SE. I don’t think a Fold would have anything but the newest chipset as there would be a lot of processing to do to alter for the large internal screen. Mini fans would love another and I’d like to see Apple swap it up with the Plus for two years then the Mini for two years. 
    mobirdchasm
  • Reply 4 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    macgui said:
    Why is it so hard to find something with AppleInsider's search function? Trying to find more info on the various 17 betas I did a search for iOS 17 betas after watching this video and Search returned:

This wasn't helpful but going to another site got me what I wanted. WTF AI? Search as been like this as long as I can remember. Did I use bad keywords?
    I get better results by doing a web search and including “Apple insider” at the end. Way faster. Way more accurate. Way less irritating. 
    mobird
  • Reply 5 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Japhey said:
    macgui said:

I get better results by doing a web search and including “Apple insider” at the end. Way faster. Way more accurate. Way less irritating. 
    Search engines also have keywords to limit searches to a particular site using site:appleinsider.com. So the search term can be:

"site:appleinsider.com ios 17 beta"
    "site:appleinsider.com ios 17 beta 2/3/4/5"

https://duckduckgo.com/duckduckgo-help-pages/results/syntax/
    https://www.google.com/advanced_search
    mobirdwilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    macgui said:

It has always been thus. You will have far more success if you go to Google or literally any significant search engine (DuckDuckGo in my case) and start your query with site:appleInsider.com and then the search words you’re looking for.

I tried this with DDG and your “iOS17 betas” keywords, and the top 10 links were all AI articles on iOS 17 betas.
    edited August 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    14,1 is almost certainly the iPhone SE 4th gen, since it is a lower-priced phone that will be using the current, rather than forthcoming, chipset to keep prices down. I have no idea when that might actually come out, but that’s bound to be it.

14,9 on the other hand … no idea.

Or maybe the 14,1 was going to be a mini but that got dropped, and the 14,9 is the iPhone SE 4. As Judy Tenuda says, “it could happen!”
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 9
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
  • Reply 9 of 9
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member
    I rather see a iPhone 15 mini than a iPhone 15 fold. Or actually, rather than any other model actually. And while I am at it - new Airport devices and a new 27” iMac.
    edited August 2023