Apple Watch may gain a new fabric band

Posted:
in Apple Watch

A leaker with a short but good record says that Apple is planning to introduce a new woven fabric Apple Watch band with a magnetic buckle.

Apple's current Apple Watch bands may be joined by a new fabric type with magnetic buckle
Apple's current Apple Watch bands may be joined by a new fabric type with magnetic buckle

Apple currently offers regular Apple Watch bands in eight varieties, ranging from leather to stainless steel, and with variations such as the Sport Band and the Nike Sport Band. The Apple Watch Ultra is offered with three band types, the Alpine Loop, Trail Loop, and Ocean Band.

Now leaker Kosutami says that an as yet unnamed further band type is planned by Apple. Kosutami claims that Apple will launch the band alongside its unveiling of the next generations of the Apple Watch.

#Apple will release a new Watch band with weaved fabric materials and magnetic buckle (might like Modern Buckle Leather Band one) this year later with new watch.
(Photo only for concept looks)#appleinternal @markgurman @URedditor @ProfessorTox pic.twitter.com/9wD75v6go5

-- Kosutami (@KosutamiSan)

Kosutami has no images of the band, and also doesn't specify if it's intended for the forthcoming Apple Watch Series 9, the second generation Apple Watch Ultra, or both.

Despite the lack of detail in this case, Kosutami has a small track record in leaks to do with Apple's materials and color choices. The leaker has recently claimed, with some plausibility, that Apple considered shipping AirPods in different colors, and also tried new colors for a MagSafe charger.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,681member
    I never got excited about bands.  I still wear the Black DLC link band that came with the SBSS Series Zero with my current RED Series 8.   It's kind of neat.  I just paid far too much for it not to keep using it.

Otherwise, I only have the black silicone from my 4 and now some unused red band.  Never bought any aftermarket.  The watch costs way too much to spend money on bands for "style".   

Nice wrist hairs.  I recommend zooming out a bit on that pic.   Maybe bookeh that arm. 
    edited August 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    Not really new, just new from Apple. You can buy hundreds of different fabric watchbands from other suppliers. Cheaper, too.
    williamh
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Fabric is my choice. Metal bands tend to be heavy and their edges dig into my wrist. Silicone bands aren't breathable. Nylon webbing is breathable and very light. There are times when I forget I'm wearing the watch.
    darkvaderiqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,036member
    A friend got a multi-pack of the woven bands in the picture a few years ago and gave me a few.  The bands were probably $1-$2 each.  I like them a lot and they're still like new.   If I get one dirty, it goes in the wash and I install the other. 

I am glad Apple is getting in the game so I could spend 10-20x more than mine cost.  I'm sure the Apple woven band will be carbon neutral, made from a revolutionary new material, few buttons, thinner, and available in Project Red and Pride designs.  Maybe if we're lucky they'll eventually come out with a fantastic really white white version.
    darkvaderwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,623member
    Any band with a finite number of fasteners seems to never fit me. My fabric band has an infinite number of fastening positions which always work for me.
    mayflydarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    So Apple is going to charge $100 for a $5 watch band?

Yeah, don't care.  I'm wearing a fabric one right now.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 7
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Any band with a finite number of fasteners seems to never fit me. My fabric band has an infinite number of fastening positions which always work for me.
    My circumstances too. The fabric band at last is perfect for me, allowing just the right tension.
    watto_cobra