Apple MLS Season Pass subscriptions have doubled since Lionel Messi joined Inter Miami

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

Lionel Messi is the driving force behind MLS Season Pass subscriptions, doubling the number of subscribers since he joined the league.

Messi doubles MLS subs
Messi doubles MLS subs

Apple's push into sports broadcasting is showing increasing success as its MLS Season Pass offering continues to grow. This has been aided by Lionel Messi joining the league via Inter Miami after his departure from Paris Saint-Germain.

According to an X post from Jorge Mas, Managing owner of Inter Miami, MLS Season Pass subscriptions have doubled since Messi joined Inter Miami. Also, Spanish language viewership has surpassed 50% when Messi is playing a match.

Apple CEO Tim Cook also chimed in on the post, promoting another Lionel Messi game taking place on Friday.

Tune in tomorrow to watch Messi and all the Leagues Cup action with #MLSSeasonPass on @AppleTV https://t.co/ZqmybySBa8

— Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

When Lionel Messi joined Inter Miami and played his first game, it broke viewership records -- at least for Apple. Viewership hit almost 100 countries around the world for Messi's debut, causing Apple to see the three most viewed games since MLS Season Pass launched.

The MLS Season Pass is available for $14.99 per month or $99 per season. Apple TV+ subscribers get a slight discount at $12.99 per month or $79 for the season. Season Ticket Holders will get one free access pass to the MLS Season Pass.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lmasanti said:
    Being a non-American resident/citizen… pardon my ignorance on some habits and things.

What does this mean?
    “Season Ticket Holders will get one free access pass to the MLS Season Pass.”

I understand the last part ‘MLS Season Pass’ as the Apple TV+'s subscription.
    But… ‘Season Ticket holders’ is something of a subscription to the physical stadium?
    And what does it means ‘one free access pass’ —maybe one game in Apple TV+?—.

(Sorry, in Argentina, where I live, we use quite different distribution methods)
    As an American resident/citizen, I don't know what was meant either.  I wouldn't think you need anything more than one MLS Season Pass, at least for one household.  Perhaps that single access pass is for a single Apple ID / Family account.  Regardless, I'm definitely considering singing up as a result of Messi going MLS - exciting!
    lolliverFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    lmasanti said:
    Being a non-American resident/citizen… pardon my ignorance on some habits and things.

What does this mean?
    It means if you have a season ticket to attend the games in real life, purchased from MLS, you get a code from Apple/MLS for one full season access to MLS Season Pass. It can only be redeemed once, but it is for the whole current season. It's a perk for people who buy season passes to attend any/all games in person at a given venue or for a specific team.
    ravnorodomFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Bart YBart Y Posts: 67unconfirmed, member
    lmasanti said:

What does this mean?
    “Season Ticket Holders will get one free access pass to the MLS Season Pass.”

I understand the last part ‘MLS Season Pass’ as the Apple TV+'s subscription.
    But… ‘Season Ticket holders’ is something of a subscription to the physical stadium?
    And what does it means ‘one free access pass’ —maybe one game in Apple TV+?—.

(Sorry, in Argentina, where I live, we use quite different distribution methods)
    I believe what it means is if you are a Season Ticket holder to ANY MLS team for Home games in your home stadium, a Season ticket holder has one paid for and assigned seat for the whole year’s home games and has rights to buy playoff and special games like tournaments, friendlies, and exhibitions.  A person can buy as many seats as they wish to buy and pay for annually or for years packages.

Here in Southern California we have both the LA Galaxy and the LA Football Club.  A season ticket holder gets one Apple TV+ MLS Season Pass for all MLS games streamed regardless of team or region.  In essence, no blackouts, no regional restrictions.  

It’s actually a pretty good deal for a season ticket holder who wants to see and stream lots of MLS games and full playoffs plus Watch Messi even if he’s not playing your team.

Both MLS and Apple TV get huge exposure and expansion of viewing, win-win.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lmasanti said:

What does this mean?
    It means if you have a season ticket to attend the games in real life, purchased from MLS, you get a code from Apple/MLS for one full season access to MLS Season Pass. It can only be redeemed once, but it is for the whole current season. It's a perk for people who buy season passes to attend any/all games in person at a given venue or for a specific team.

I believe it’s one pass per season ticket package. So if you and your spouse and your two kids all have season tickets to your team’s games, purchased as a block, you collectively get one MLS Season Pass, not four. (If they gave you four, there’d be no reason not to sell or give away three of them.)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Imagine what would happen if they got Zava! :wink: