Apple's forgotten Trailers app is on its way out

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

The iTunes Movie Trailers app for iPhone is still on the App Store, but Apple is transitioning away from it toward having the TV app include everything in one place.

Apple's iTunes Movie Trailers app still exists
Apple's iTunes Movie Trailers app still exists

Movie trailers were once important to Apple for how it showed off the superiority of video on Macs, most notably with "Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace" in 1999. But since then, Apple has ceased to be the place to go to see new trailers, and has been usurped for this by YouTube.

It's not, though, as if Apple lavished attention on its iTunes Movie Trailers app. Since it was launched in 2012, it has had a total of 16 updates -- most of which were minor. Its latest update was in 2018, when Apple released version 1.4.4 with the new inclusion of an Apple Watch icon.

Today the iOS app is headlined by a banner image saying that "Apple TV app is the new home of iTunes Movie Trailers." The banner is in a carousel that rotates to a new message every few seconds -- but each image is the same.

At present, the banner can be tapped and it does react but goes to a blank screen and then snaps back like an elastic band.

It's clearly intended to take users to the iOS TV app, and that app is beginning to show signs of being ready for them. While it isn't working, and is only in the US at present, the TV app does now contain a section for trailers.

Apple has not commented and as yet there is no way to know when this rather clunky rolling out of a new feature to the Apple TV app, will take to reach all users.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Hmm am I the only one who frequents Trailers!?
    diz_geekwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    Yes. 

I had forgotten about the app like the headline said I probably did.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Who knew they even had an app like that.

Just what I want to do.
    Sit and watch a bunch of trailers for movies I'd never want to see.

I guess if you can't afford a streaming service…
    williamlondonmobird
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Nope - I usually open it a couple of times a month. Going to miss it - was always great for seeing not just previews for the big blockbusters but lots of smaller films as well that I otherwise wouldn’t have heard of!
    williamlondonentropysbloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I remember in the late 90s visiting the Apple website to watch trailers.
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I use it often, but only on my AppleTV's.    It used to show theaters and movie times, but over the past few months that has been erratic, so I usually then have to go to Fandango.

I love movies.  Trailers allows me to review most (if not all) of the smaller indy films that come out.   I am amazed that there are  way more than one new movie per day released in the US (something like nearly 500 per year).

decoderringentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I also use it often to see what’s new. I also liked the favorite feature. Wish they did more with it so you would know when you could hire them. I’m glad it will find a new place. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

Just what I want to do.

I can think of many reasons to use the Trailers app that don’t involve breaking out the popcorn to spend an evening in front of it. Is that what you think people use it for?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member

Just what I want to do.

What is refreshing about the trailer program is that there’s no bullshit ads or pop-ups. The interface is clean, simple and easy to use, try it before it disappears. You can watch a trailer at your leisure and there is no garbage in between you and the trailer, well course other than the trailer itself.
    edited August 2023 williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    I hit the Trailer App just last week.  I enjoy seeing what's coming down the pipeline.  
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    diz_geek said:
    Nope - I usually open it a couple of times a month. Going to miss it - was always great for seeing not just previews for the big blockbusters but lots of smaller films as well that I otherwise wouldn’t have heard of!
    danox said:

Just what I want to do.

What is refreshing about the trailer program is that there’s no bullshit ads or pop-ups. The interface is clean, simple and easy to use, try it before it disappears. You can watch a trailer at your leisure and there is no garbage in between you and the trailer, well course other than the trailer itself.
    There are trailers in the Apple TV app on all Apple devices, including Macs, this is what's replacing the Trailers app. On Mac it's /Applications/TV.app. In that app, go to the store tab, there are trailers available for most of the items.

It would be good to have a simpler filtering system. It's nice to be able to list all movies by year but sort by popularity/rating/release date and be able to filter out movies below a certain rating.

For going on a trip that is offline like a flight, you could search all movies in the last 10 years above 7/10, sort by popularity, tap a bunch of them, rent all, and store on iPad and you'd have decent movies to watch in a few minutes.

Potentially it could play the trailers back to back with a skip option.

Like an advanced search > start year, end year, above rating, sort by popularity/rating/release date, Genre (multiple). It would return a list of results and there can be a button to play trailers so you could sit through them in order and favorite/wishlist the ones you like or skip/ignore.
    edited August 2023 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I have trouble these days viewing multi season box sets on the ATV(or iPad etc) these days. It used to be easy with a row all of their own.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17

Just what I want to do.

My goodness that's a bit critical (and superior sounding too) - it's a discovery service. Nice way to identify movies/shows you might want to check out, not a poverty scarlet letter with which you're branded for using.
    lolliverFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    I doubt it. Apparently there's a meaningful portion of the US population that live in the things. :wink:
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    We go into the Trailers app on a weekly basis to see what is new on AppleTV. I liked having the ability to see what was playing in theaters, but that has been flaky lately. 
    edited August 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I do not waste my time looking for anything on YouTube, I am looking for the site to shutdown (much the same with the rest of Google).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    It’s not forgotten by me! 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra