2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    avon b7 said:
    mayfly said:
    avon b7 said:
    mayfly said:
    Apple has 4 tiers of flat rate repairs for OOW (out of warranty) Macs. A failed SSD on a MBP is a Tier 1 and will cost you a very reasonable $280. Tier 4 is for Mac with observable damage, such as broken screen, large dents indicating a drop, or water damage. At that point, you're almost always better off dumping it.

That is way too much for what is an SSD change. Well, what should be at least. 

As Rossman has been pointing out for ages now, Apple soldered SSD is a design defect. I agree with that opinion especially as some machines were supposedly engineered to kill the entire board when the SSD goes south and in doing so, not even allow the machine to boot from an external SSD.

Those prices are obviously US prices. I would imagine the EU pricing is way higher. 

He is currently claiming he sees two or three 16 inch MBPs a day with failed SSDs. 
    So $280 is way to much to replace an SSD with a new one regardless of capacity? What year are you living in, and what would consider a reasonable price to install a brand-new logic board with a new SSD on a MBP? Less than $280?
    You're citing the opinion of a YouTube personality about the reliability of MBP SSD's. And since he has to either do this repair himself, or send it in to Apple for replacement and upcharge for it, it would cost far, far more than that $280. You have no complaint.
    Stardate: 2023

I can not find the equivalent of your US pricing in the EU unless it is with AppleCare+. 

In that case the price might be 259€ but you would also be paying over 100€ per year on top of that (AC+) or a 299€ for a three year plan.

Totally absurd for a part that should be easier to swap out and, assuming, Louis is on the ball with his comments, the failure should not kill the rest of the board in the process (making booting off an external drive impossible).

The latest video from him on this very subject was pushed over to me by YouTube just two days ago. 
    With Applecare+, it's $50 for damage. For defects, it's no charge. Pretty simple. Let this one go.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 23
    YP101YP101 Posts: 172member
    Kind a funny some of replies of my original post.
    I am not saying Apple won't fix the problem with payment(or maybe not). Such as out of warranty.
    OOW price table does not mean much unless Apple service site shows you what they will charge you replace the failed SSD exactly.
    So I guess everyone willing to pay over $300 for 512GB SSD replaced by Apple Service.

Also external SSD solution? Yes. I am using that way my M1 Mac mini. I bought 512GB model but external SSD for 1TB.

Anyway, my point is Apple still can make money for SSD upgrade even they make it replaceable. Because they can using own form factor like Mac Studio's SSD.
    And Apple can coded for your own Mac T2 chip to recognize it before send it to you so you can not buy from any 3rd party vendor.

About speed of SSD, so Mac studio slower then Mac Mini because it use replaceable SSD? I guess not.

AppleCare+ does mean much it only cover up to 3 years. SSD hardly break within 3 years. These days not many windows PC either.

I look up trade in price for my M1 Mac mini is around $400 which I paid $798 with tax from Amazon sale.
    Around 2 years use for less then $400 value drop, I guess I will buy M2 Mac Mini and get $400 back. $200 per 1 year equals less than $20 per month.
    I think I can live with that.. 
    I guess Apple wants consumer to keep replace the Mac every 2 years like iPhone and iPad. 
    If this is Apple's business model then that is fine..
  • Reply 23 of 23
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    "Over $1000 laptop or desktop died due to just SSD failure."

"
    AppleCare+ does mean much it only cover up to 3 years. SSD hardly break within 3 years. These days not many windows PC either.

You said both. Which is it? And are you happy that someone actually reads what you write?
    watto_cobra