Apple TV+ plans to milk all it can out of Lionel Messi

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

Footballer Lionel Messi's move to MLS and Inter Miami CF got quite some attention -- and now it's going to get more as Apple TV+ announces a documentary series following his every step.

Lionel Messi [Inter Miami CF]
Lionel Messi [Inter Miami CF]

You'd think Messi had signed to Apple TV+ instead of Inter Miami CF for how the move doubled subscriptions to Apple's MLS season pass. Or for how his debut also gave Apple TV+ a new viewership high.

Now Apple has announced an as yet untitled six-part documentary series about Messi, his move, and then his debut in the Leagues Cup.

"[With] unprecedented access to Messi and his new Inter Miami CF family, this series takes viewers behind-the-scenes as the greatest player to ever step on the pitch attempts to lead his new team to a Leagues Cup title and beyond," says Apple. "From selling out record crowds across America at breakneck speed, to his incredible last-minute game-winning goal in his very first match, to moments with Messi and his Inter Miami CF teammates, the series chronicles Messi's immersion in America, the remarkable journey and transformation of Inter Miami CF, and most significantly, the impact he is currently having on soccer in North America as 'Messi Mania' crisscrosses the continent."

Apple calmly mentions that this is all because Messi "made a landmark decision that forever changed the face of soccer."

Plus it's a decision that Apple adds is also getting him a completely separate "documentary event" about his life up to the start of the new series.

Messi is also "the greatest-of-all-time in a sport that commands the devotion of five billion fans around the world." Apple can only dream of getting those five billion signing up to Apple TV+ and its MLS coverage.

But however many fans end up watching, they will be hoping to not have a repeat of the technical problems that disrupted coverage of Messi's debut.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    I love the honest and accurate headline.

They are right to milk it for everything they can. It’s not often there are opportunities to make big money off of men’s soccer in the US. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    clexman said:

They are right to milk it for everything they can. It’s not often there are opportunities to make big money off of men’s soccer in the US. 
    Milking it is step 1. For big success, MLS has to be entertaining enough to maintain subscribers, get more subscribers, and to grow ancillary revenue. Apple has some ducks in a row here. MLB fans are aging out. Soccer is the 2nd most popular sport for 30yo and younger. So, this 10 year deal with MLB has a chance to be something pretty big revenue wise if Apple plays it right. It probably can't overtake the NBA and NFL business, but I can see it overtaking MLB as the sport everyone watches during the summer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 100member
    The Apple TV App has been the Lionel Messi App for the past month now. They were milking the s**t out of him even before this announcement.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Too bad I don’t give a flying f$#k about sports. I wish there was a way the remove all this meathead garbage off of my Apple TV+! having this actually makes me like Apple less. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I've been loving MLS Season Pass. As a long-time cord cutter, watching sports has been difficult as all cord cutters can attest. But being able to watch not only every game of my home team (both home and road games) as well as every game of every other team has been amazing. No blackout garbage like you see on, say, NBA League Pass (which is a joke). And the price is great. Leagues Cup (tournament between MLS and the Mexican league) has been a lot of fun to watch. I'll be subscribing every season. Great job Apple!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    jcc said:
    Too bad I don’t give a flying f$#k about sports. I wish there was a way the remove all this meathead garbage off of my Apple TV+! having this actually makes me like Apple less. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way.
    It's ok to accept there are things other people like that you don't like. Just scroll on by. It's not difficult.
    foregoneconclusionFileMakerFellerbestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    jcc said:
    Begs the question, exactly what DO you give a flying f$#k about?? Rolling donuts?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    LOL...sounds like some jealousy from the UK staff members of AppleInsider. I think a lot of people in Europe thought Messi was going to MLS to kick back and take it easy and instead he's been really focused. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    Personally I prefer watching the TeleTubbies.  But, that's just me.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    tht said:
    clexman said:

Milking it is step 1. For big success, MLS has to be entertaining enough to maintain subscribers, get more subscribers, and to grow ancillary revenue. Apple has some ducks in a row here. MLB fans are aging out. Soccer is the 2nd most popular sport for 30yo and younger. So, this 10 year deal with MLB has a chance to be something pretty big revenue wise if Apple plays it right. It probably can't overtake the NBA and NFL business, but I can see it overtaking MLB as the sport everyone watches during the summer.
    Look at the impact "Drive to Survive" has had on the number of new fans for Formula1. I think the documentary is a smart move.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Very smart move from Apple. Reinvigorate a flailing and boring MLS with a star player. More will follow, and Apple is in there early, for cheap.
    mayflywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    michelb76 said:
    Very smart move from Apple. Reinvigorate a flailing and boring MLS with a star player. More will follow, and Apple is in there early, for cheap.
    Yeah, he's scored 9 goals in 6 days. Or was it 6 goals in 9 days?

But who cares? REAL football started on Saturday, and Da Bearss won! Ditka!
    michelb76watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    jcc said:
     Sure it does. Grow up. 
    🙄
    watto_cobra