Netflix starts testing games service for smart TVs

Posted:
in General Discussion

Netflix has confirmed it will be bringing its gaming service to set-top boxes and smart televisions, but it probably won't arrive on the Apple TV just yet.

[Netflix]
[Netflix]

An app that acted as a game controller for Netflix games was discovered on August 8, sparking rumors of an introduction of its games platform to televisions. In a Monday announcement, Netflix confirmed the rumors were true.

After making mobile games a part of the Netflix experience, the streamer advised it was rolling out a "limited beta test" to a small number of members in Canada and the United Kingdom, on a select number of smart TVs and via PC and Mac through the Netflix website.

Two games will be provided for the trials, with Night School Studio's "Oxenfree" and "Molehew's Mining Adventure" available to play by the selected members. Players will also be able to use the controller app when using a smart TV, though they could also use a keyboard and mouse when using the desktop.

Netflix is using the test to shake down its game-streaming technology and controller app before a wider launch. Eventually, it will be available on Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast with Google TV, Nvidia Shield TV, Roku devices and TVs, LG and Samsung smart TVs, and Walmart ONN, with other additional devices to be added "on an ongoing basis."

One big name missing from the list is the Apple TV, and the omission may be due to Netflix's existing troubles running its gaming service on mobile. Due to App Store rules that prevent apps from becoming third-party app storefronts that also affect game-streaming services, Netflix's mobile games are offered separately to the main Netflix app, rather than as part of it.

It is likely that the same problem could occur for the Apple TV app, with Netflix made to release separate apps for the games rather than using its main Netflix video-streaming app as the hub.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    After more than 20 years of seeing how Apple respects my privacy, I trust Apple's hardware and software. But for other companies, it's going to take at least 5 years of a solid security record before I trust any other hardware manufacturer for any device that has intelligence. (A dumb device like a mouse or dumb display isn't too worrying to me.) I have similar concerns about software, and I investigate any software and the company that makes it before I install it. The Apple App Store has several innovative ideas that exist to help me protect my own security and privacy, such as the Privacy Labels. Do these other platforms mentioned in this article have that? Probably not, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mobirdmobird Posts: 754member
    "One big name missing from the list is":

Sony

chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    mobird said:
    "One big name missing from the list is":

Sony

My guess is Sony TVs might have this since they use Google TV streaming technology.

Or maybe not. Sony may be reserving streaming game technology exclusivity for their own PlayStation service.

Time will tell.
    edited August 2023 ravnorodomwatto_cobra