Apple TV+ reveals 'The Buccaneers' to stream from November

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ has released the first images of its take on Edith Wharton's "The Buccaneers," and revealed it will premiere on November 8, 2023.

Christina Hendricks stars in
Christina Hendricks stars in "The Buccaneers," premiering with the first three episodes on November 8, 2023.

The new eight-part adaptation of Wharton's unfinished novel was first announced by Apple TV+
in 2022. It's written by series creator Katherine Jakeways, best known for "Tracy Ullman's Show" and "Where This Service Will Terminate."

"Girls with money, men with power. New money, old secrets," says Apple's new series description. "A group of fun-loving young American girls explode into the tightly corseted London season of the 1870s, kicking off an Anglo-American culture clash as the land of the stiff upper lip is infiltrated by a refreshing disregard for centuries of tradition."

"Sent to secure husbands and titles," it continues, "the buccaneers' hearts are set on much more than that, and saying 'I do' is just the beginning."

Kristine Froseth, Alisha Boe, Josie Totah, Aubri Ibrag and Imogen Waterhouse star in
Kristine Froseth, Alisha Boe, Josie Totah, Aubri Ibrag and Imogen Waterhouse star in "The Buccaneers."

The large ensemble cast includes Christina Hendricks, Kristine Froseth, Alisha Boe, and Josie Totah. The eight episodes are directed by Susanna White, who also acts as executive producer alongside Jakeways and "Doctor Who" alumni Beth Willis.

Edith Wharton began her novel in the 1930s, and while she did not live to complete it, she did leave an extensive outline. Her unfinished manuscript was published in 1938, the year after her death, and then completed by Marion Mainwaring in 1993.

In 1995, screenwriter Maggie Wadey also wrote an ending to the story, this time for a BBC television version in conjunction with PBS via WGBH. Wadey's screenplay was then used for a further completion of the novel.

Apple says that the first three episodes of its version will all premiere on Wednesday, November 8, 2023. The remaining five editions will debut weekly until December 13, 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member
    Another rubbish show from Apple 😡
    They're as bad as Disney 
    williamlondonJapheyentropysMichae1maltz
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    When will America's appetite for TV shows about rich people behaving badly be sated??? Especially British costume "dramas." Who thinks "Yellowstone" is anything but "Dallas, Montana?" or "Peyton Place of the West?" or "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous Ranchers/Serial Killers?" It's been done, overdone and should now be dead and buried.

Why do people watch this dreck? Does it make them feel better about not being rich, or titled, or famous/infamous?? Are they happy that their lives aren't as screwed up as their "betters?"
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Big surprise, the nerds in the comment section don’t like costume dramas, and are angry about it.
    williamlondonmknelsondavAppleishSpitbathAlex1NFileMakerFellerthtsphericStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Big surprise, the nerds in the comment section don’t like costume dramas, and are angry about it.
    And think they're so fucking important that we give a shit about their negative nelly opinions, they're just like children, "I don't like that."
    mknelsondavAppleishSpitbathAlex1NStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,940member
    🤣
    mknelsondavAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    So, this show was announced in 2022 and is already making it to the small screen? Where the fuck is Time Bandits?
    Alex1NMichae1
  • Reply 7 of 17
    M68000M68000 Posts: 827member
    Is the cursing really necessary in some of these comments?   It’s giving the forum an amateur look.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Japhey said:
    So, this show was announced in 2022 and is already making it to the small screen? Where the fuck is Time Bandits?
    In the can,  on film, 42 years ago — where it belongs, since it can never be bettered.
    Alex1NentropysFileMakerFellersphericdavwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,245member
    When I saw "The Buccaneers" I got all excited thinking it was going to be a pirate movie full of daring do, sea battles full of broadsides sword fights and falling rigging, and instead find out it is a Bridgerton knockoff, but with yank accents.

Actually, considering it is based on an unfinished novel, probably more like a "Sanditon " knockoff.
    edited August 2023 FileMakerFellerMichae1
  • Reply 10 of 17
    entropys said:
    When I saw "The Buccaneers" I got all excited thinking it was going to be a pirate movie full of daring do, sea battles full of broadsides sword fights and falling rigging, and instead find out it is a Bridgerton knockoff, but with yank accents.

Actually, considering it is based on an unfinished novel, probably more like a "Sanditon " knockoff.
    At least it wasn't about corn merchants.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,591member
    entropys said:

Heh. My first thought after the headline was, "Interesting. They are making a documentary about the 1970s Tampa Bay Buccaneers?"

But I wouldn't mind a modern Cutthroat Island either.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,642member
    M68000 said:
    Is the cursing really necessary in some of these comments?   It’s giving the forum an amateur look.
    Wait, what — you're a professional poster?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobramaltz
  • Reply 13 of 17
    …the nerds in the comment section…
    That’s a funny way to say ‘paying subscribers.’
    williamlondonwatto_cobramaltz
  • Reply 14 of 17
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,642member
    Michae1 said:
    …the nerds in the comment section…
    That’s a funny way to say ‘paying subscribers.’
    I'm not, I'm a nerd, and I get to comment here. 
    davwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,005member
    40domi said:
    They're as bad as Disney 
    Idiotic nonsense. Define woke for us please. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    sunman42 said:
    Japhey said:
    In the can,  on film, 42 years ago — where it belongs, since it can never be bettered.
    Maybe. But are you saying that you won’t at least check it out? With that strong an opinion of the original?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    40domi said:
    They're as bad as Disney 
    Just renewed my yearly subscription Apple TV+ and enjoy its content. Beats the 100+ channels on Spectrum I never watch.