Apple won't release leather iPhone 15 cases, claims leaker

Posted:
in iPhone

A leaker with a good reputation but not an abundance of detail, claims to have been told that Apple's planned iPhone 15 cases do not include the usual leather options.

Current leather iPhone cases from Apple
Current leather iPhone cases from Apple

The leaker is DuanRui, who did get details of the Apple Watch Ultra, and perhaps more relevantly, also correctly predicted the iPhone 14 Plus based on leaked cases.

I've heard that Apple won't be releasing a Leather Case for the iPhone 15 series.

-- DuanRui (@duanrui1205)

The leaker's history with cases and accessories lends weight to the claim, but Apple has shown no other signs of intending to stop using real leather. At present, Apple is selling 16 leather cases for the iPhone 14 range, plus around 18 leather straps for the Apple Watch.

Then there's the iPhone leather wallet with Magsafe, AirTag leather loops, and a leather Apple Pencil case. Add in the iPad and older iPhones, and there are many more leather items being made and sold by Apple.

It could just be that DuanRui's information is somewhat incomplete and really Apple plans to ditch all leather products. But sources knowing only about abandoned iPhone cases and not, for instance, a planned total removal of the material, makes it all seem unlikely.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,969member
    Maybe vegan leather or pleather?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,112member
    I love the leather case for my 12 mini. Feels great, looks good and protects well without being so thick it won't fit in my front pocket. I'll give up certain leather products when everyone else gives up gobbling hamberders continuously.
    FileMakerFellerdavMplsPAlex1Nwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 7
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,255member
    I'm not against leather so long as it's made from animals that were not killed for their skin. I love a good hamburger, so why not use the entire animal?
    MplsPAlex1Nwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 7
    DGDMNDGDMN Posts: 7member
    Is this article claiming that Apple won't let me spend my $$$ on an over priced Apple case?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,953member
    Maybe vegan leather or pleather?
    You mean vinyl or plastic?
    baconstang
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,953member
    I have a leather case for my 13 pro. It’s awesome - looks good, feels good and wears well. Overpriced? Depends on the user but virtually all iPhone cases are overpriced, imo. For me the leather case had been a good value because it has held up and works well. 
    baconstangAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 7
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    For the better probably. Apple’s leather quality has really gone down hill the last few years. I’ve been a leather case guy since 2016 but I decided to switch to caseless lately so I guess this is perfect timing. 
    williamlondon