Apple will give 'Killers of the Flower Moon' a global release on October 20

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

"Killers of the Flower Moon" is the next big film from legendary director Martin Scorsese coming to Apple TV+, and Apple is skipping the limited release in favor of a global October 20 release.

Killers of the Flower Moon
Killers of the Flower Moon

The upcoming "epic Western crime saga" showcased its first teaser trailer in May, showing off the heavy, violent tone. More of the story saw the light of day with the theatrical trailer released in July.

Originally, "Killers of the Flower Moon" was set for a limited theatrical run in the United States beginning October 6, 2023. After that, the film would arrive in more theaters across the U.S. starting October 20, before eventually streaming on Apple TV+.

That plan has changed, though, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Apple, working with Paramount, will now release the film globally on October 20, 2023. It will be skipping the limited theatrical run entirely.

"Killers of the Flower Moon" depicts the story of an FBI investigation into several murders of the Osage people in Oklahoma in the early 1920s. The film is based on the book written by David Grann.

Eric Roth and Scorsese wrote the film. Leonardo DiCaprio, Lily Gladstone, Robert De Niro, Jesse Plemons, Tantoo Cardinal, and Cara Jade Myers star in the film.

After a theatrical run, "Killers of the Flower Moon" will be available to stream on Apple TV+. The service costs $6.99 per month or is available via any tier of Apple One.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Can't wait!! I think they may have a second best picture Oscar on their hands...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Could the change in release plan be because of the change in the Academy's rules for Best Picture consideration?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,307member
    Could the change in release plan be because of the change in the Academy's rules for Best Picture consideration?
    I doubt it — that’s what the limited theatrical run was for. I think Apple a) thinks this is a really good movie, and b) may be looking to recoup some of the massive budget, so c) debut it in cinemas to make some money ahead of it arriving on Apple TV+
    watto_cobraCluntBaby92