Globalstar taps SpaceX to launch Apple's Emergency SOS satellites

Posted:
in iOS

Despite an ongoing regulatory dispute, American satellite communications company Globalstar has partnered with SpaceX to launch satellites for Apple's Emergency SOS iPhone feature.

Emergency SOS via Satellite
Emergency SOS via Satellite

The agreement between Globalstar and SpaceX was recently revealed in an SEC filing. Although the filing, spotted by Nola, doesn't provide many details, it does indicate that SpaceX will launch the satellites within a 2025 launch window, with Globalstar paying $64 million for the launch.

The filing confirms what had been learned in September of 2022: Apple will pay 95% of the costs for the new satellites, including the launch fees, and is referred to as a "launch partner."

The deal comes at a time when Globalstar is actively embroiled in a legal battle against SpaceX. SpaceX hopes to secure a radio spectrum for its upcoming mobile service for Starlink.

According to PCMag, Globalstar has accused SpaceX of making a "lawless" attempt at securing the 1.6GHz and 2.4GHz radio bands, which could prevent features such as Emergency SOS via Satellite from working.

Emergency SOS via Satellite only works with Globalstar's network. In September 2022, Elon Musk tweeted that Starlink had been in talks with Apple about using its satellite network for the feature.

If someone is in an emergency situation and cannot connect to cellular or Wi-Fi networks, the iPhone 14 product line offers a solution. With the Emergency SOS via Satellite feature, custom software and hardware components within the Phone app can be utilized to connect directly to a Globalstar satellite. This option provides a reliable way to get help when needed most.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I would not trust something your life (or your customers’ lives) could depend upon to someone as unreliable as a guy that doesn’t pay bills for toilet paper. Or rent. Or cares about the rules for taking down a street sign. Or establishing a new one. Or treating people with respect, or like they actually mean something. Just sayin’. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobrawilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I would not trust something your life (or your customers’ lives) could depend upon to someone as unreliable as a guy that doesn’t pay bills for toilet paper. Or rent. Or cares about the rules for taking down a street sign. Or establishing a new one. Or treating people with respect, or like they actually mean something. Just sayin’. 
    Okay, does "lack of morality" that mean we should stop watching Apple TV+'s Foundation series, since the original novels were written by a serial sexual assaulter of women? Google it. On the other hand, Asimov wanted women to work at the same jobs as men, but only to save the planet by getting women to have fewer babies at home. That would be pro-environmental, wouldn't it? :-/
  • Reply 3 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I can’t figure out why there is a middleman here. Just go with starlink directly and reduce the endless fiddling around with making sure the iPhone antenna is placed correctly. Emergency service for free as part of the phone purchase,  but perhaps an actual Apple global cellular service might be tempting. It could be very disruptive for the existing services.

In my country, and no doubt many others, the carriers are setting up starlink deals for cell phone coverage outside 5G/4G areas. Voice and broadband. Within a year I will be able to ditch my iridium phone and just use my iPhone.
    edited September 2023 watto_cobraAlex1Nbyronl
  • Reply 4 of 14

What about a dude that for an entire childhood, refused to admit he had a love child? What a deadbeat.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    entropys said:
    I can’t figure out why there is a middleman here. Just go with starlink directly and reduce the endless fiddling around with making sure the iPhone antenna is placed correctly.
    You should probably tell us how this is possible, the part about not pointing the phone to the Starlink satellite. 

As for Apple, GlobalStar is their main provider for satellite comm services. They are giving Apple whatever they want, and Apple can continue to fund them for increasing the size and capacity of their satellite service, all for a pretty cheap price. 

If Starlink wants to get Apple’s business, they can offer a competitive price or a better service. 
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 6 of 14
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,259member
    Don’t worry, the exponential growth of space junk will  likely ensure that  low earth orbit will eventually be unusable anyway. 
    thtwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 14
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    entropys said:
    I can’t figure out why there is a middleman here. Just go with starlink directly and reduce the endless fiddling around with making sure the iPhone antenna is placed correctly. Emergency service for free as part of the phone purchase,  but perhaps an actual Apple global cellular service might be tempting. It could be very disruptive for the existing services.

In my country, and no doubt many others, the carriers are setting up starlink deals for cell phone coverage outside 5G/4G areas. Voice and broadband. Within a year I will be able to ditch my iridium phone and just use my iPhone.

I can't figure out who the "middleman" is, that you are referring to here. (Unless you're not using the term "middleman" correctly.)  It sounds like Globalstar have their own satellites and is only paying Space X to launch their satellites into orbit. Globalstar services do not use or are connected to Space X own Starlink satellites. If Apple wanted to use Starlink for their iPhone satellite features, I'm sure they would have made a competitive deal with Space X.

But it sounds like Apple is getting their foot in the door with services offered by satellites, by basically financing all the cost of building and launching satellites for Globalstar. I'm sure when it comes time for Apple to enter the services offered by satellite market, Apple will be in position to buy-out (or partner with) Globalstar on the cheap and will be competing with Starlink, instead of having to rely on them.  
    thtluke hamblygregoriusmAlex1Nbyronl
  • Reply 8 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Instead of bashing about Elon Musk, let's talk about the satellite based SOS or 2-way messaging. IMO, Apple should come up with 2-way satellite based messaging and charge user per usage based. So,if you are stuck outside of cell tower covered area and must need to communicate; use sat based messaging feature for short communication.
    People can also use it on remote places including islands when on vacation or business where traditional Cell coverage is not available. What about on boat/yatch in middle of ocean ?
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 9 of 14
    davidw said:
    entropys said:

I can't figure out who the "middleman" is, that you are referring to here. (Unless you're not using the term "middleman" correctly.)  It sounds like Globalstar have their own satellites and is only paying Space X to launch their satellites into orbit. Globalstar services do not use or are connected to Space X own Starlink satellites. If Apple wanted to use Starlink for their iPhone satellite features, I'm sure they would have made a competitive deal with Space X.

But it sounds like Apple is getting their foot in the door with services offered by satellites, by basically financing all the cost of building and launching satellites for Globalstar. I'm sure when it comes time for Apple to enter the services offered by satellite market, Apple will be in position to buy-out (or partner with) Globalstar on the cheap and will be competing with Starlink, instead of having to rely on them.  
    Starlink can provide full cell service. KDDI in Japan is going to use Starlink for cell service in locations where cell signal isn't available using existing phones. Apple is paying someone to use SpaceX to launch satellites to provide a service (SOS) not as functional as what SpaceX themselves is building (full cell service).
    edited September 2023 byronl
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Does anybody actually believe Apple is funding 95% of these satellites just for an emergency SOS feature!? 

Not likely. 
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 14
    alandail said:
    davidw said:
    entropys said:

Starlink can provide full cell service. KDDI in Japan is going to use Starlink for cell service in locations where cell signal isn't available using existing phones. Apple is paying someone to use SpaceX to launch satellites to provide a service (SOS) not as functional as what SpaceX themselves is building (full cell service).
    As with other statements regarding what people are getting with sat comm service, you will need to describe what “full cell service” means. 

A satellite client device needs to acquire a signal from a satellite in 800 to 3000 mile altitude orbits (whichever Starlink sats are using) using small little antennas inside a handheld. 

Both handheld and satellite will be power limited on transmit and receive ends. The satellites aren’t stationary above an area and there needs to be handoffs between satellites, the microwatt level signals will be blocked by almost anything, and these satellites will be bandwidth limited in how many client devices they can service.

By full cell service, you mean voice? Text messaging? EDGE Internet bandwidth? How many people?

I believe Apple and GlobalStar are headed down the path of providing 2-way text messaging for their next level of feature offerings, with voice and EDGE level Internet surely on the roadmap. They are building SoS service to the world in the next 2 years, but these next level features are surely coming if people will pay for them. 

The ultimate question for Starlink is whether they can provide a cheaper price than GlobalStar or more features. Apple is surely willing to have multiple sat comm providers if it is advantageous for them, but GlobalStar sounds a lot like a strategic investment for them. 
    gregoriusmAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingambyronl
  • Reply 12 of 14
    tht said:
    entropys said:
    I can’t figure out why there is a middleman here. Just go with starlink directly and reduce the endless fiddling around with making sure the iPhone antenna is placed correctly.
    You should probably tell us how this is possible, the part about not pointing the phone to the Starlink satellite. 

As for Apple, GlobalStar is their main provider for satellite comm services. They are giving Apple whatever they want, and Apple can continue to fund them for increasing the size and capacity of their satellite service, all for a pretty cheap price. 

If Starlink wants to get Apple’s business, they can offer a competitive price or a better service. 
    The iridium satelitte network is a dinosaur. I know, I have an iridium phone.  Hardly ever works well, a nearby tree, a shower of rain and its no go. Anyway, given the impressive broadband of Starlink (~250mbps, latency ~ 30 ms in my experience) compared with nothing. 

Optus, in collaboration with SpaceX, which designs, manufactures and launches some of the world’s most advanced rockets and spacecraft, today [12 July 2023] announced an agreement to deliver mobile connectivity using SpaceX’s Starlink satellite constellation. Together, Optus and SpaceX plan to cover 100% of Australia*.

• Through its agreement with SpaceX, Optus will work to expand the reach of customers’ mobile connectivity to include the 60% of Australia’s land mass that currently has no mobile coverage. This will be achieved through a phased rollout of SpaceX’s satellite capability, starting with SMS in late 2024, with voice and data to follow in late 2025.

SpaceX’s Senior Director of Satellite Engineering, Sara Spangelo, said, “We share Optus’ vision to improve connectivity across Australia. The connectivity pairs SpaceX’s Starlink satellite constellation with Optus’ mobile network to transmit directly to mobile phones across the country.

“We’re excited to collaborate with Optus and offer a solution to expand coverage and help keep customers connected regardless of where they live or travel,” added Dr. Spangelo.

This new satellite-to-phone coverage will be extensively tested before launch, with further information on its characteristics and accessibility provided closer to availability.

* Excludes Australian Radio Quiet Zone in Western Australia where no service is permitted to be provided and Remote Offshore Territories and Islands of Australia. Coverage requires a clear line of sight to most of the sky.  Further information will be provided at service launch..

There is also a deal with the Australian carrier  Telstra as well. Apple doubling down on globalstar tech seems strange if in two years you have satellite mobile coverage through SpaceX
    edited September 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 14
    entropys said:
    tht said:
    entropys said:

The iridium satelitte network is a dinosaur. I know, I have an iridium phone.  Hardly ever works well, a nearby tree, a shower of rain and its no go. Anyway, given the impressive broadband of Starlink (~250mbps, latency ~ 30 ms in my experience) compared with nothing. 

Optus, in collaboration with SpaceX, which designs, manufactures and launches some of the world’s most advanced rockets and spacecraft, today [12 July 2023] announced an agreement to deliver mobile connectivity using SpaceX’s Starlink satellite constellation. Together, Optus and SpaceX plan to cover 100% of Australia*.
    • Through its agreement with SpaceX, Optus will work to expand the reach of customers’ mobile connectivity to include the 60% of Australia’s land mass that currently has no mobile coverage. This will be achieved through a phased rollout of SpaceX’s satellite capability, starting with SMS in late 2024, with voice and data to follow in late 2025.

SpaceX’s Senior Director of Satellite Engineering, Sara Spangelo, said, “We share Optus’ vision to improve connectivity across Australia. The connectivity pairs SpaceX’s Starlink satellite constellation with Optus’ mobile network to transmit directly to mobile phones across the country.

“We’re excited to collaborate with Optus and offer a solution to expand coverage and help keep customers connected regardless of where they live or travel,” added Dr. Spangelo.

This new satellite-to-phone coverage will be extensively tested before launch, with further information on its characteristics and accessibility provided closer to availability.

* Excludes Australian Radio Quiet Zone in Western Australia where no service is permitted to be provided and Remote Offshore Territories and Islands of Australia. Coverage requires a clear line of sight to most of the sky.  Further information will be provided at service launch..

There is also a deal with the Australian carrier  Telstra as well. Apple doubling down on globalstar tech seems strange if in two years you have satellite mobile coverage through SpaceX
    This text doesn't explain how you can use a smartphone with pointing it at the satellite. And like I said in my other post, GlobalStar and Apple surely has 2-way text messaging, voice and data on their roadmap.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Elon Musk wants to be the world’s saviour but is an ass when things don’t go his way so that he gets the attention he wants. Apple should NOT partner with him. He’s unreliable. 
    williamlondonjony0