Apps by Apple promotes first-party apps already on iPhone and Mac

Posted:
in iOS

Apple has added a new page to its website, with Apps by Apple promoting all of the first-party tools and applications Apple makes for its iPhone and other hardware.

Apps by Apple
Apps by Apple

Updated on Saturday, the new Apps by Apple page explains users can "connect, create, and get things done with powerful and intuitive apps designed to be accessible, private, and secure."

The headline carousel has slides promoting Messages, Safari, Final Cut Pro for iPad, and Logic Pro for iPad. Each listing, along with a small paragraph explaining what the user can get out of using the app, is accompanied by a link for users to find out more.

Further down the page are smaller carousels, organized by Communication, Creativity, Productivity, Exploration, Entertainment & Home, Health & Fitness, and Features. The default All view will show all apps on each carousel, but users can also elect to view apps for the Mac, iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, or Apple TV, with the lists adjusting to match.

At the bottom, Apple has a large grid of non-interactive app icons, showing all of the smaller feature-like apps its operating systems also provide.

Toward the bottom of the page, Apple reiterates its commitment to privacy and accessibility, and a final part that takes users to the App Store.

The timing of the page's introduction is curious, as Apple is thought to be bracing itself for the European Union to force the company to allow third-party App Stores to exist on its devices in 2024. It also occurs ahead of the expected fall release of iOS 17 and its other milestone operating systems.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    Sounds like a great idea for risk-averse iPhone users like myself.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Apple doesn’t bother to listen to feedbacks or even closes the door to hear feedback, e.g. about the buggy Contacts app (2 Stars at max) in macOS and iOS, and unlike third party apps to provide Star rating, any promotions are redundant.
    Ofer
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I have always appreciated the security of the closed garden, albeit not as robust as it is reputed, but opening up the iphone/ipad to other core apps may at least allow competitors to address some of my peeves, some going back over a decade - for example, the ability to store books libraries externally and easily edit/customize the metadata and make backups, the same applies to audio books... As for TV the inability to customize metadata, view and organize files has made handling tutorials etc., a real challenge.  If Apple loses it dominance of core apps, it is its own fault.  The failure to offer a viable alternative to Photoshop, Illustrator or Acrobat Pro is yet another peeve. With all those billions, one would think that they would already be gearing up to compete. While I understand the importance of allowing room for 3rd parties to develop, the dominance of Adobe really needs to be addressed.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    gaffer said:
    I have always appreciated the security of the closed garden, albeit not as robust as it is reputed, but opening up the iphone/ipad to other core apps may at least allow competitors to address some of my peeves, some going back over a decade - for example, the ability to store books libraries externally and easily edit/customize the metadata and make backups, the same applies to audio books... As for TV the inability to customize metadata, view and organize files has made handling tutorials etc., a real challenge.  If Apple loses it dominance of core apps, it is its own fault.  The failure to offer a viable alternative to Photoshop, Illustrator or Acrobat Pro is yet another peeve. With all those billions, one would think that they would already be gearing up to compete. While I understand the importance of allowing room for 3rd parties to develop, the dominance of Adobe really needs to be addressed.

Two things:

1. Normal people (the vast, vast majority of buyers) have ZERO interest in where they store books or customizing metadata. You, my friend, are a NERRRRRD (as am I) but we represent the tiniest possible sliver of people who buy Apple products, and that fact should guide one’s thinking on Apple’s priorities.

2. Apple has ZERO need to provide a replacement for every great app out there. There are MANY terrific (and inexpensive!) replacements for Photoshop and Illustrator from third parties, and you seem to be unaware that Preview IS IN FACT an Acrobat Pro replacement (again, to the extent that the majority of customers would want, such as filling out forms, attaching signatures, and making small corrections).

In fact, if Apple went TOO far in making superior apps, developers would just abandon the Mac and iPad platforms for certain (as happened to the Mac in the 90s) in favour of the more lucrative Windows and Android platforms, where barely-functional default apps are the norm and (at least in the Windows market) there is huge financial opportunity.
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra