Apple was 'close' to introducing 14-inch iPad model in 2023

Posted:
in iPad

Apple allegedly got close to creating a super-sized iPad Pro that was much larger than the current-largest 12.9-inch model, with a 14-inch version considered for a potential launch in 2023 at one point.

iPad on a table
iPad on a table

Apple is anticipated to be preparing an iPad Pro upgrade in early 2024, with OLED accompanied by a replacement of the 12.9-inch model by a 13-inch version. However, Apple could've gone much larger with the model.

In Sunday's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman claims that Apple actually got close to actually releasing a 14-inch iPad Pro at one point, but instead it's gone for the 13-inch update instead.

Gurman first mentioned a larger iPad Pro was in the works back in 2021 for potential release within years, but other leaks down the road continued to promise that Apple was actively still working on the concept.

In June 2022, DSCC's Ross Young said that a 14.1-inch tablet could arrive from Apple at some point in early 2023, though that ultimately didn't happen. In October 2022, a report said that a 16-inch iPad could be launched in the fourth quarter of 2023, though admitted that development could kill the product before release.

While Gurman does say about the product's development by Apple, there still doesn't seem to be a launch for such a large-screened model on the horizon, or for quite some time.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    This is not unusual or surprising.   Apple dabbles in alternate sizes on many products.   

My guess is the surprise inflation killed the product due to prohibitively high final costs to the customer.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Still waiting on a 65” iPad to mount on the wall. 
    pulseimages9secondkox2williamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Makes sense with the 15” MBA. 

I suspect we will see this size in the next iPad Pro revamp. 
  • Reply 4 of 15
    crofford said:
    Still waiting on a 65” iPad to mount on the wall. 
    Who needs Samsung’s “The Wall” when you can have a giant iPad? 

I’ll order the 120” version. 
  • Reply 5 of 15
    The reality is that the 12.9 inch iPad Pro is excessively heavy and unwieldy.  Many people bought it because of its outstanding screen, but regret the move due to limited portability.  Raising the size to 14 inches would be suicide for a product.   
    netroxwilliamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 15
    And all Apple has to do is add touch to Mac screens and you have a large screen iPad with case and Magic Keyboard already. 

So simple, yet so very far away. Sigh…
  • Reply 7 of 15
    The reality is that the 12.9 inch iPad Pro is excessively heavy and unwieldy.  Many people bought it because of its outstanding screen, but regret the move due to limited portability.  Raising the size to 14 inches would be suicide for a product.   
    Incorrect. I have the 12.9” pro. Often times I wish it had a 15” screen. I hate moving and zooming artboards ad naseam around just to work in detail on a deadline. 

If you don’t need the pro, get the air or the base model. Let the pros have useful features. 
    edited September 2023 thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Incorrect. I have the 12.9” pro. Often times I wish it had a 15” screen. I hate moving and zooming artboards ad naseam around just to work in detail on a deadline. 

If you don’t need the pro, get the air or the base model. Let the pros have useful features. 
    I guess you didn’t realize I’m speaking from experience as well.   I also have the 12.9 inch pro and as far as I am concerned, it is very heavy and cumbersome.  And I’ve seen many people online say the same thing, so I’m not alone.

Funny I don’t see people in this thread clamoring for a 14 inch iPad either, so I think it’s safe to say you’re in the minority.  At 1.5 lbs, it’s the 12.9 inch iPad is the heaviest one they’ve ever made by at least a half pound.

You miss the point of the iPad Pro.  It’s supposed to be portable AND useful. While it is useful, the size and weight put off many people, and that includes pros.
    edited September 2023 williamlondonFileMakerFeller9secondkox2entropys
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Right now iPad needs an OS that's worthy of its power and form factor. Until then it's just an overgrown iPhone and even a 65 inch iPad won't be of any value.
    mattinozmuthuk_vanalingamentropys
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Then I was very close to buying one. 
    The 12 is big but is also a bit of a tween device. 
    It has the next level of bulk but not the next level of function over the 11inch Pro. 

Which as other pint out is made worse by the software not keeping pace.
    muthuk_vanalingam9secondkox2entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    If a new iPad Pro, no matter what size, uses OLED technology eliminating backlighting, would that make the device thinner and lighter?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    My wife and I both have an iPad Pro and are completely used to the weight. We done away with our television. I would be in the marked for a bigger one. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    thttht Posts: 5,452member

I guess you didn’t realize I’m speaking from experience as well.   I also have the 12.9 inch pro and as far as I am concerned, it is very heavy and cumbersome.  And I’ve seen many people online say the same thing, so I’m not alone.

Funny I don’t see people in this thread clamoring for a 14 inch iPad either, so I think it’s safe to say you’re in the minority.  At 1.5 lbs, it’s the 12.9 inch iPad is the heaviest one they’ve ever made by at least a half pound.

You miss the point of the iPad Pro.  It’s supposed to be portable AND useful. While it is useful, the size and weight put off many people, and that includes pros.
    Well, perhaps you forgot? The original 2010 iPad 9.7" inch was 1.5 lbs. The fondly remembered iPad 2 was 1.3 lbs, but the iPad 3 with 2048x1536 display pushed it back to 1.44 lbs. It is only with the iPad Air 9.7" where Apple settled on 1 lb as the weight target for their 10" to 11" iPads. The iPad Pro 12.9" basically took the 1.5 lb weight target after that.

I agree with you that 1.5 lb is too heavy for a handheld, but being handheld doesn't have to define what an iPad has to be. iPad tablets can encompass a wide product range serving a variety of customers, and Apple should offer more options. I'd like to see a 7" class iPad, basically an iPhone 14 Plus without the cellular modem and with lower performance SoC, offered. There is room for a 15" iPad. When the folding iPads come, those will serve as 20" external displays, AIO, laptop, and tablet computers, basically all of the above. It doesn't mean that there aren't 9" to 11" sized iPads that would be the bulk of sales. There should be a model for as many niches as possible.

The more worrying thing, which is repeated ad infinitum, is Apple is curiously uncertain on where they want to take touch computing. They have the handheld phone touch tablet well in hand. Bigger touch tablets? Curiously only want to serve a certain niche. There is probably a strange resource competition between Macs and iPads inside Apple.
    williamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 14 of 15

You might have it, but you don't need it. it. Trade down and be happy. Let us who need it get the upgrades that matter in our work. If the featherweight iPad Pro is too heavy for you, then you have other things going on that need looking into. And no true pro who WORKS on the iPad is going to find a decent sized screen an issue. For folks like yourself, there is an entire lineup of various smaller and lighter ipads to choose from. All you have to do is choose the one that suits you. It's already out there. As far as. the Pro, there. is a smaller on of that.  So having ann even bigger one will literally not be an issue for anyone. YOu can always buy the smaller one. Or buy the Air. Or the base, etc. etc.  etc. It's really that simple. 
    edited September 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 15

I suppose I could clamor yet again for a larger iPad. There are many musicians who already use the 12.9 iPadPro to store, edit, and display huge libraries of sheet music. For me the current main constraints are a not quite sufficient screen size and battery charge limitations. A more readable screen size might push adoption to a significantly higher level. Certainly a “niche” market but so was desktop publishing when it surprised many by how it saved the Mac from oblivion.
    watto_cobra9secondkox2