Anti-War Actors

enaena
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I couldn't help but wince watching Sean Penn with his 35mm running around Iraq before the war. It seemed REALLY shallow. Something tells me they didn't show him the plastic shredders they used to enforce discipline.

At any rate:

What about these Hollywood types who live and die by popularity getting indignant when they piss off 77% (or whatever the percent of support for the war was) of the population with their views. In particular I watched visibly (oh wait he's an ACTOR) upset Tim Robbins give a speech to the D.C. press club telling how their is a "chill wind blowing in America" and their are "consequences" for the anti-war view.

Don't these people want it both ways?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The same Tim Robbins who flashes peace signs for the cameras and threatens physical violence on reporters who write about his family.

I thought part of the whole "against-the-grain" political activist was catching hell for your views. These idiots want to be martyrs for the cause without the hassle of dying.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    I'm inclined to admonish you for starting out the thread with a semi-ranting swipe at "hollywood types" because it only invites more ranting from the conservative faithful here.

What real question do you want to discuss? "Don't they want it both ways?"

What?
  • Reply 3 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

The same Tim Robbins who flashes peace signs for the cameras and threatens physical violence on reporters who write about his family.

I thought part of the whole "against-the-grain" political activist was catching hell for your views. These idiots want to be martyrs for the cause without the hassle of dying.

Was I right or was I right?

"These idiots"
  • Reply 4 of 57
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

I couldn't help but wince watching Sean Penn with his 35mm running around Iraq before the war. It seemed REALLY shallow. Something tells me they didn't show him the plastic shredders they used to enforce discipline.

Why was Sean Penn in Iraq?
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

No. If you were 'right' you would be ranting about inane topics and patting yourself on the back for helping to kill hundreds of children.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Here's a speech by Tim Robbins at the National Press Club in Washington DC on April 15. Pro-war or anti-war...it is an excellent speech, definitely worth a read.

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0416-01.htm
  • Reply 7 of 57
    sammi jo, it's not real. he's just acting.

• Reply 8 of 57
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

No. If you were 'right' you would be ranting about inane topics and patting yourself on the back for helping to kill hundreds of children.

Yes definately, those sanctions going on and on and on were responsible for many innocent lives lost. Their blood is on our hands for backing out on them 12 years ago.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Yes definately, those sanctions going on and on and on were responsible for many innocent lives lost.

Oh no, you're wrong. Just ask groverat. He knows that it wasn't the sanctions that killed and he posted a great link to support his position.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

"These idiots"

Not quite. I don't really care what Tim Robbins or Susan Sarandon's politcal views are, but they in particular have shown no restraint preaching their views when they want, where they want, no matter how inappropriate the forum. As presenters at the Oscars in the early 90s, they decided to bring up Haitian refugees out of the blue for example. Just like Michael Moore's rant, it wasn't appropriate. The Oscars is an awards presentation, not a stage for politics. At least Michael Moore wasn't supposed to follow a script. Richard Gere did the same with his "Free Tibet" views too.

As long as they stick to the right modes of communication, I've got no beef with them...too bad they never do.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Oh no, you're wrong. Just ask groverat. He knows that it wasn't the sanctions that killed and he posted a great link to support his position.

Groverat... gimme gimme gimme... need info...
  • Reply 12 of 57
    I don't know if I buy the whole appropriateness argument.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Who gives a Sh!t either way. I would never take an actors word more seriously or less seriously than any other stranger to be honest. I am getting so god damm sick of war protestors!!!! Getting sick of hearing from them.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

I don't know if I buy the whole appropriateness argument.

Of course not, since most of the time, the only ones inconsiderate enough to ignore appropriateness are the ones with a similar agenda to yours, Mr. Columbia Was Blown Up By Dubya.

Tell me, if you're receiving an award at some kind of a function, do you want to listen to a random fellow go on and on about politics you don't agree with?

I'm almost disappointed Robbins was snubbed by Cooperstown. I would have loved to have seen him try to push his politics on the baseball fans. It would have been great to see the audience react harshly to his words.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trevorM

Who gives a Sh!t either way. I would never take an actors word more seriously or less seriously than any other stranger to be honest. I am getting so god damm sick of war protestors!!!! Getting sick of hearing from them.

G'Day mate

Yep, especially the jerks who painted your Opera House with " NO WAR " Where are the SWAT teams with the High Powered rifles?

By the way, not all actors are bad.

Mel Gibson Liberated Scotland with the Irish Army, Some face paint & perfect teeth.

Spike Milligan & the Goons ran Rommel & Hitler to ground.

Frank Sinatra & the Ratpack liberated Las vegas of most of it's Loot.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

G'Day mate

Yep, especially the jerks who painted your Opera House with " NO WAR " Where are the SWAT teams with the High Powered rifles?

By the way, not all actors are bad.

Mel Gibson Liberated Scotland with the Irish Army, Some face paint & perfect teeth.

Spike Milligan & the Goons ran Rommel & Hitler to ground.

Frank Sinatra & the Ratpack liberated Las vegas of most of it's Loot.

the whole Opera House thing pissed me off. I do however think it was a little odd that people could accsess the top so easily.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Nah,

Yer just Buys yer ticket, climbs the internal stairwell, hides from the cleaners & sets yourself to work ?

Besides which I think the so called security probably wouldn't have given a stuff, even if you danced in front of them naked with the words "I love Saddam" tattooed on your Butt-cheeks !

• Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:

Nah,

Yer just Buys yer ticket, climbs the internal stairwell, hides from the cleaners & sets yourself to work ?

Besides which I think the so called security probably wouldn't have given a stuff, even if you danced in front of them naked with the words "I love Saddam" tattooed on your Butt-cheeks !

Very funny indeed!!

• Reply 19 of 57
    So where in Aussie land are you ?
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:

So where in Aussie land are you ?

I live in Tasmania, outside Hobart in a suburb called Blackmans Bay. [42 Degrees south]

I also lived in Sydney for a few years too. Really liked it their too. Tho down here is great as I do Mountain Biking in my spare time and the tearrin rocks!