iPhone 15 dummy models provide real life look at new, muted colors

Posted:
in iPhone

Rumors have pointed to a muted set of colors for iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro, and we've got our hands on dummy units that showcase them.

All the new iPhone 15 colors
All the new iPhone 15 colors

We're less than a week away from seeing the iPhone 15 lineup direct from Apple, but that hasn't stopped the rumor cycle. After a new set of color rumors landed at the end of August, AppleInsider got ahold of dummy models that show off those colors better than any render could.

iPhone 15 colors

Five purported colors are coming to the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus: white, black, blue, yellow, and pink/red. The new colors are very pastel, like the rumors and circulated renders suggested.

The black and white color options don't differ from previous generations, with a glossy monotone back panel and matte sides. The white has pure silver sides, and the black looks completely black versus dark gray.

Blue iPhone 15
Blue iPhone 15

The blue, yellow, and pink options stand out on the iPhone 15 units versus the dull-by-comparison pro models. All the new hues are toned down from previous color offerings, a decision that will surely be divisive among users.

Apple currently sells a yellow iPhone 14, and the new yellow is even more faded than that. The pink color is a far cry from the vibrant versions released in the past.

iPhone 15 matte sides
iPhone 15 matte sides

The dummy units showcase rumored features too, including the USB-C port, slightly tweaked design, and even the Dynamic Island on the front of the phones.

iPhone 15 colors
All iPhone 15 colors

These dummy units have SIM card trays, though those likely won't be present on the US models. Apple has retained them on certain international models but has moved to eSIM otherwise.

iPhone 15 Pro colors

The iPhone 15 Pro dummy models show the four colors that have been recently rumored: silver, Space Black, Carbide Gray, and blue.

All of the gray-ish titanium colors don't show much variation. Apple's real models will likely have more distinct differences for customers to choose from.

Space Black iPhone 15 Pro
Space Black iPhone 15 Pro

Blue is the stand-out option here, and Apple will likely tout some fancy marketing name for this shade. The dummy appears to be a darker version of the Pacific Blue used with iPhone 13 Pro.

iPhone 15 Pro colors
iPhon 15 Pro colors

The pro dummy models also showcase many of the rumored features, including the updated design, the Action Button instead of a mute toggle, and the Type-C Thunderbolt port.

Coming soon to Wonderlust

All will be revealed soon as Apple holds its September 12 Wonderlust event.

iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro colors
iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro colors

The iPhone 15 lineup is expected to be announced alongside an Apple Watch Series 9 and a minor update to the Apple Watch Ultra. There are only a few days left before we discover which rumors are true or not.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Umm, there was no Pacific Blue for the iPhone 13 Pro but Sierra Blue. I think you meant the iPhone 12 Pro!
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I see sales of cases going up.
    williamlondonad0niram
  • Reply 3 of 15
    These look great actually. Finally somebody does something unique and classy instead of the over saturated rainbow bright colors we’ve been inundated with the last 2 years. Nice, classy, Apple colors. 

Yet, as with almost all smartphones, they’ll be covered by cases anyway and the case will be what you see. 
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Hey Andrew! Thanks for this! Apart from the colors, what can you tell us about the supposed change to "curved edges" on the sides of the 15 Pro models? The difference from the 14 Pro, assuming there is one, appears in these photos to be really, really, really subtle. Does the phone handle any differently? This doesn't look like a difference that would make a difference considering that I'm not even sure they've made a change to the design. 
    edited September 2023 williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 5 of 15
    kmareikmarei Posts: 183member
    i'm sure these colours looked great before they were left out in the sun :)

fred1
  • Reply 6 of 15
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Sorely wish Apple would have a back camera option for flush back cam or one that sticks out like the Washington monument.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    These look great actually. Finally somebody does something unique and classy instead of the over saturated rainbow bright colors we’ve been inundated with the last 2 years. Nice, classy, Apple colors. 

Yet, as with almost all smartphones, they’ll be covered by cases anyway and the case will be what you see. 
    Not me, I def prefer bolder colors. Serious orange, purple, etc. Not into easter egg colors. 
    Alex1Nfred1Scot1
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Boring washed out colors.
    Scot1
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member

Not me, I def prefer bolder colors. Serious orange, purple, etc. Not into easter egg colors. 
    They could always do one colour option in each style each year instead of doing all pastels or all bright and they could all still compliment each other. 

Alex1NM68000muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 15
    charlesn said:
    Hey Andrew! Thanks for this! Apart from the colors, what can you tell us about the supposed change to "curved edges" on the sides of the 15 Pro models? The difference from the 14 Pro, assuming there is one, appears in these photos to be really, really, really subtle. Does the phone handle any differently? This doesn't look like a difference that would make a difference considering that I'm not even sure they've made a change to the design. 
    The curved edges may matter to those who do not use a case.  I actually like the rounded shape of the sides of previous generation iphones,  it was both futuristic looking and comfortable to hold.  The current style is okay and perhaps debatable as to which is easier to hold.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I'm surprised how shiny the titanium band looks on the pro models. I thought because it was titanium and not steel this time that it would be more matte.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    I'm surprised how shiny the titanium band looks on the pro models. I thought because it was titanium and not steel this time that it would be more matte.
    Those images are of dummy units presumably made by some 3rd party case maker. They are not real phones shown in the image.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    For all I care my phone is diarrhea brown and covered with obscene memes on the back.
    I have used covers since the iPhone 1… 
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Missing the gold option. 

That being said, the iPhone 1 came in all shades of black. So did the 3G and the 3GS and only with the iPhone 4 did we get black or white. 

I've also not seen my very beautiful gold 11 Pro except when I clean the case after the beach and so on... So really - not a big deal. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    Boring washed out colors.
    That’s my take on the lighter shades. Very 70s IMO. I like the greys and darker ones, though.

But most colours are a question of judging market trends so it could go either way in terms of acceptance/rejection. 

We should all be glad though that there's no sign of a resurrected dalmatian or flower power! 
    edited September 2023