Apple TV+ unveils its first German-language show

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

Dark comedy "Where's Wanda?" has become the first German-language commission from Apple TV+.

"Where's Wanda?" (Source: Apple)

Both as part of expanding its slate and also helping comply with European television production quotas, Apple TV+ has announced an eight-episode dark comedy about a missing daughter and her parents.

"How far would you go to save your child?" says Apple. "For Carlotta (Heike Makatsch) and Dedo (Axel Stein ), the answer is clear."

"Until recently they were a normal family, but after waiting in vain for the police to bring back their 17-year-old daughter Wanda (Lea Drinda), who disappeared months ago without a trace, they are now taking matters into their own hands," continues Apple.

"With the help of their tech-savvy son Ole (Leo Simon), who helps them obtain surveillance devices," says the company, "they disguise themselves as employees of an electrical company and bug first their neighborhood and then half their suburb, finding out that behind closed doors none of their neighbors are who they pretend to be."

"Where's Wanda?" is written by Royal Television Society nominee Oliver Lansley, and based on the story by Zoltan Spirandelli. The series is directed by Christian Ditter and Tobi Baumann.

No streaming date has been released yet.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Would Apple limit availability of this show to just the German market? The reason for my question is that I would love to check it out, when it comes out. However, while being a native Germany, I live in the United States.

The answer, I am guessing, is that Apple with its original content is not hampered by existing competing licensing agreements between licensors and licensees and thus has no problem distributing all its content wherever in the world Apple TV+ is available.
    bonobobchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    The 30% requirement seems really odd. There are seven continents (OK, six that are populated). If they each demanded that Apple TV+ include 30% content produced locally to them… we’d run out of percents. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    rweiser said:
    The 30% requirement seems really odd. There are seven continents (OK, six that are populated). If they each demanded that Apple TV+ include 30% content produced locally to them… we’d run out of percents. 
    No, we'd have lots and lots of really great regional productions. 

I wish this were EU requirement for radio stations, as well. France and Austria have such quotas, I believe, and they've done no end of good for the local music businesses.
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    Would Apple limit availability of this show to just the German market? The reason for my question is that I would love to check it out, when it comes out. However, while being a native Germany, I live in the United States.

The answer, I am guessing, is that Apple with its original content is not hampered by existing competing licensing agreements between licensors and licensees and thus has no problem distributing all its content wherever in the world Apple TV+ is available.
    I suspect the programme will be shown on Apple TV+ worldwide, with subtitling available in various languages. The plot sounds fun, I suspect I’ll enjoy this.
    watto_cobra