Entire iPhone 15 lineup's camera specs detailed in last-minute leak

Posted:
in iPhone

A new camera spec roundup confirms many of the rumored features coming to the iPhone 15 lineup, like periscope zoom and 48MP Main Cameras for all.

iPhone 15 Pro Max getting big camera bump
iPhone 15 Pro Max getting big camera bump

The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro will be announced in a matter of days, but the rumors won't stop for anything. The latest last-minute leak alleges to have a full spec sheet of camera information for every iPhone 15 model.

According to information obtained by MacRumors, most of the rumors about the iPhone 15 cameras will prove accurate. Details about the 48MP sensor for the standard models and a periscope lens for the iPhone 15 Pro Max are all here.

There doesn't appear to be anything entirely new in this leaked data, but it does confirm multiple rumors in one space.

iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max (Ultra)

The iPhone 15 Pro Max will continue to have three cameras in a slightly larger camera bump. The camera bump size change is likely necessary to fit the rumored periscope zoom lens.

iPhone 15 Pro to have periscope zoom lens
iPhone 15 Pro to have periscope zoom lens

The Main Camera is a 48MP sensor, like in the iPhone 14 Pro, with the same Sony IMX-803 image sensor and f/1.78 aperture. Apple is increasing the specs for the Telephoto camera to a 12.7MP, f/2.8 sensor, and Ultra Wide to 13.4MP and f/2.2 sensor.

The Telephoto lens type and layout are also changing. It will use a periscope lens system for increased zoom capabilities -- moving from 3x to a zoom between 5x and 10x.

This large system requires essential space within the device to fit. Apple rearranged the components in the iPhone 15 Pro Max to make a periscope lens work, but it isn't possible for the smaller iPhone 15 Pro.

The report suggests as Ming-Chi Kuo has previously that the periscope lens will arrive in both high-end iPhones in 2024. The iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Ultra would allegedly be larger at 6.3 inches and 6.9 inches, respectively, thus having space for the feature.

The iPhone 15 Pro gets the same camera system upgrades as the iPhone 15 Pro Max, minus the periscope telephoto lens. The slight boost in resolution for the Telephoto and Ultra Wide cameras will result in improved image quality.

iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus

There's less to discuss for Apple's standard iPhone cameras, but the updates are significant. The Main Camera is being bumped up to a 48MP sensor, though it won't be the same one used by the iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 15 Pro.

iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus to have 48MP Main Camera
iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus to have 48MP Main Camera

Like with the iPhone 14 Pro, the 48MP sensor will still take 12MP photos using pixel binning. The Apple ProRAW format won't be available in the non-pro device, but third-party apps can unlock RAW 48MP image capabilities.

Apple has allegedly tested two types of sensor systems for the iPhone 15 -- stacked and standard. It isn't clear if this made it to final production models, but if it does, it will improve readout speeds and low-light images.

The report states the Ultra Wide camera is unchanged at 12MP and f/2.4 aperture.

Find out on September 12

Apple is holding its Wonderlust iPhone 15 event on September 12. All will be revealed then, so readers won't have to wait long to determine how accurate this report is.

Alongside the iPhone 15 lineup, Apple is expected to reveal the Apple Watch Series 9 and an updated Apple Watch Ultra. New USB-C accessories could also make an appearance.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    "The slight boost in resolution for the Telephoto and Ultra Wide cameras will result in improved image quality."

In my testing the i14 the UWA was visibly soft even on the small i14 screen, which was confirmed in a number of reviews over time... My i14 'pro' was returned. If the UWA lens remains unchanged and 'soft' how will higher MP help...?
    edited September 2023 williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I must confess I am a total noob when it comes to lenses and other photography terminology. Skill level is at "ooh shiny" level.

These alleged camera bumps may or may not happen as described. Apple has had a strong track record of putting things in place that later enables breakthrough innovations to ramp and scale quickly.

So I am thinking that this iPhone generation will likely have camera tech that will enable content generation that will be best consumed on the vision pro in the near future. It takes time to bootstrap a new form factor and having a year or two of creatives learning and demystifying the process makes sense.

The iPhone feels like the ideal 3D photo and 3D video capture platfiorm to scale this quickly. If done right then maybe Apple has a 3D YouTube on its hands which could divert some serious ad cash from Alphabet and TikTok.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Sounds about right
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    is this going to be the only thing that is ever improved going forward?
    just adding cameras or making them higher resolution?
    what if i am perfectly happy with camera as is?

so we make the cpus faster with every generation of iphones
    then ios gets more bloated, so end result is about the same performance as older phones on their then new ios
    whats the net gain?
    other than profits for apple

jeffharrisgatorguy
  • Reply 5 of 12
    It’s such a mature product now that I find this new phone to be very boring compared to my iPhone 13 Pro. I might just replace my battery when I need to.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    kmarei said:

Why should I ride in an “aero-plane” when I have a perfectly good car?

Why should I buy a “smart” phone when I have a perfectly good landline?

IMO the introduction of colour RUINED movies and TV …

<sticks head in sand>
    edited September 2023 radarthekatmike1williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    These leaks/additional tumors don’t confirm anything.  They may reinforce existing leaks/rumors, increasing our confidence, but they don’t confirm anything. 

williamlondonCalvin_Hobbeswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I’m quite happy with my iPhone 13 Pro, but, then I use a real ILC (interchangeable lens camera) with numerous lenses.

For me, it’s mainly for music with 1TB storage. I only use the camera occasionally.
    Often I’ll shoot the same phot as my camera to use as a Mac desktop or text/email to people.
     I really like the panorama feature, though.

I’ll probably wait for the 16 Pro to upgrade. It would be a shame if it got bigger, though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Looking forward to the lighter frame (titanium), a telephoto zoom camera, better modem (faster LTE), and Thunderbolt for (hopefully) faster Mac syncs. Going from 480 mb/sec to a nominal 40 gb/sec should make for much faster transfers - though changing out my alarm clock and cables will be a bit painful.

Unfortunately, wired docks may be a thing of the past due to USB-C's tighter tolerances eliminating blind docking solutions.

The A17 should be faster and more energy efficient and in conjunction with the bigger battery should solve some of the battery woes of the 14 Pro with its always on display.

Hopefully supply chain problems won't make this puppy too hard to get.
    edited September 2023 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    kmareikmarei Posts: 183member
    chasm said:
    kmarei said:

Why should I ride in an “aero-plane” when I have a perfectly good car?

Why should I buy a “smart” phone when I have a perfectly good landline?

IMO the introduction of colour RUINED movies and TV …

<sticks head in sand>
    none of your examples are accruate
    a plane compared to a car is not the same as a phone with 3 cameras compared to a phone with 2 cameras
    this is not a groundbreaking change or evolution
    a smartphone with 2 cameras is just as smart as a phone with 3 cameras or 4 cameras or 6 (whatever samsung has now)

apple (and others) have run out of ideas in regards to smartphones
    other than adding cameras or making them higher resolution, what major changes have happened since the iphone X?
    whats the airplane/smartphone/colour feature?

williamlondonCalvin_Hobbes
  • Reply 11 of 12
    kmareikmarei Posts: 183member
    Looking forward to the lighter frame (titanium), a telephoto zoom camera, better modem (faster LTE), and Thunderbolt for (hopefully) faster Mac syncs. Going from 480 mb/sec to a nominal 40 gb/sec should make for much faster transfers - though changing out my alarm clock and cables will be a bit painful.

Unfortunately, wired docks may be a thing of the past due to USB-C's tighter tolerances eliminating blind docking solutions.

The A17 should be faster and more energy efficient and in conjunction with the bigger battery should solve some of the battery woes of the 14 Pro with its always on display.

Hopefully supply chain problems won't make this puppy too hard to get.
    i am 99% sure apple will limit the speed of USB-C, simply out of pride (in regards to the EU forcing them to do it), to USB2 speeds
    i hope you are right
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 12
    kmarei said:
    i am 99% sure apple will limit the speed of USB-C, simply out of pride (in regards to the EU forcing them to do it), to USB2 speeds
    i hope you are right
    The speed will be the same.   USB-C is a standard. Either it’s USB-C or it’s not.  
    Ideal would be USB-4 which would include Thunderbolt 3 as well as the USB-C current speed and common connector.

watto_cobra