China government iPhone ban will have almost no effect on sales, says analyst

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2023

Wedbush's Dan Ives has commented on the reported China government iPhone sales ban, and he feels that not only is it just a small speed bump on the road, but sales in the country will be up in 2024.

iPhone 14 Pro with Dynamic Island
iPhone 14 Pro with Dynamic Island

In an appearance on CNBC, Ives said that the reports that have hammered Apple's stock price aren't of much consequence. Saying that the reports' "bark is worse than the bite," Ives goes on to quantify the impact of the ban.

In a worst case, Ives is expecting maybe a sales impact from the ban to be about 500,000 units. This is relative to what he says is 45 million units sold in total in China.

And, he believes that given the relatively weak sales in the 2023 sales year, China will probably be up year-over-year on the strength of the iPhone 15 lineup.

Conventional wisdom suggests that a ban, if it is happening officially, may be a move to boost the home-grown Huawei's first 5G phone, the first model released by the company since US sanctions bit. Sources in at least three ministries and government bodies have confirmed the ban in a report earlier on Thursday, one source said they had not been given a deadline to comply.

Another source in one of the ministries affected reported have had no such order, and that he or she was currently continuing to use an iPhone. The source, said to be from a regulatory body, said that staff had not been told to cease using iPhones. They were, though, told that they would be held responsible should any issues arise because of their iPhone use.

We discussed the low impact as a probability when we started talking about this story on Wednesday, and Ives added more color to the concept. The governmental and state-owned business purchases remains a small percent of the total purchases in China, and it's not clear how many devices Huawei will be able to ship on the high-end to compete with the iPhone.

Ives maintains Wedbush's $230 Apple stock price target.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    This is a fair judgement. The real fear is probably from the impact of Huawei Mate 60 Pro. The media seems try to divert attention to the ban instead of the new phone. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 27
    It’s still China giving the middle finger to one of its biggest investors. 

Not out of character. 
  • Reply 3 of 27
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    Interestingly, Huawei Mate 60 Pro adopted iPhone dynamic iceland feature. Two features that got my attention. Satellite voice communications and 5G support. How in a world 5G chip was developed internally and use in Huawei phone when most of the 5G tech/patents were banned for Huawei's usage. Even mighty Apple have yet to design, manufacture and use it's own 5G chip in it's products. And year old iPhone 14 supports satellite emergency messaging, not voice

I also understand Huawei is indirectly funded lot by Chinese government. Against that, Huawei does not have choice but give front and back door access to anyone using Huawei phone where PRC and Chinese Spy agencies can keep eye on people's communications. I am sure that is happening with every communication gears made by Chinese companies but Huawei is a innocent face to world for Chinse spy agencies.
    edited September 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 27
    wood1208 said:
    Interestingly, Huawei Mate 60 Pro adopted iPhone dynamic iceland feature. Two features that got my attention. Satellite voice communications and 5G support. How in a world 5G chip was developed internally and use in Huawei phone when most of the 5G tech/patents were banned for Huawei's usage. Even mighty Apple have yet to design, manufacture and use it's own 5G chip in it's products. And year old iPhone 14 supports satellite emergency messaging, not voice

I also understand Huawei is indirectly funded lot by Chinese government. Against that, Huawei does not have choice but give front and back door access to anyone using Huawei phone where PRC and Chinese Spy agencies can keep eye on people's communications. I am sure that is happening with every communication gears made by Chinese companies but Huawei is an innocent face to world for Chinse spy agencies.
    LOL I am 100% sure my AT&T can listen to my calls. LOL
  • Reply 5 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,859member
    wood1208 said:

I also understand Huawei is indirectly funded lot by Chinese government. Against that, Huawei does not have choice but give front and back door access to anyone using Huawei phone where PRC and Chinese Spy agencies can keep eye on people's communications. I am sure that is happening with every communication gears made by Chinese companies but Huawei is a innocent face to world for Chinse spy agencies.
    Some corrections. 

The 'dynamic island' is only an animation. Both Honor and Huawei have been using animations around notches and cutouts for years now. Basically just to disguise those elements. What Apple did was take that idea and expand on it. 

Satellite communication was already part of some Huawei models and they connect to high orbit satellites which is more challenging on a technological level.

The Mate 60 Pro actually contains a seperate chip to handle satellite voice calling to high orbit geo stationary satellites but I believe there is a subscription fee and a short period for the handshaking to take place. Probably a non-issue for anyone who needs to use that functionality. 

Huawei has absolutely zero patent restrictions on the use of 5G. In fact, it receives between 2 and 3 dollars for every 5G phone that is sold through patent royalties. Apple is paying Huawei as iPhones now have 5G.

The 5G issue for Huawei was a component sourcing issue. It sourced a key component (RF BAW filter) from a US company which could not supply Huawei due to sanctions. 

As part of its supply chain component rejigging, Huawei can now source things like that filter from a Chinese company and not depend on a US company. 

Huawei is not indirectly financed by the Chinese government. It is directly part funded by the Chinese government and many other entities across the world. It is no different to how any company anywhere is partly financed. Loans and repayment of loans. 

There are no front or back doors beyond what are legally required by legislation in any country. 

If such a nefarious usage was in place the US government would have been waving it around the world. 

Truth is, the US has not been able to provide a single shred of evidence to support its claims. Years of accusations but nothing to prove anything. 

Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamrundhvid
  • Reply 6 of 27
    wood1208 said:

Don’t believe so much coming from the mouth piece….
  • Reply 7 of 27
    avon b7 said:
    wood1208 said:

Some corrections. 

The 'dynamic island' is only an animation. Both Honor and Huawei have been using animations around notches and cutouts for years now. Basically just to disguise those elements. What Apple did was take that idea and expand on it. 

Satellite communication was already part of some Huawei models and they connect to high orbit satellites which is more challenging on a technological level.

The Mate 60 Pro actually contains a seperate chip to handle satellite voice calling to high orbit geo stationary satellites but I believe there is a subscription fee and a short period for the handshaking to take place. Probably a non-issue for anyone who needs to use that functionality. 

Huawei has absolutely zero patent restrictions on the use of 5G. In fact, it receives between 2 and 3 dollars for every 5G phone that is sold through patent royalties. Apple is paying Huawei as iPhones now have 5G.

The 5G issue for Huawei was a component sourcing issue. It sourced a key component (RF BAW filter) from a US company which could not supply Huawei due to sanctions. 

As part of its supply chain component rejigging, Huawei can now source things like that filter from a Chinese company and not depend on a US company. 

Huawei is not indirectly financed by the Chinese government. It is directly part funded by the Chinese government and many other entities across the world. It is no different to how any company anywhere is partly financed. Loans and repayment of loans. 

There are no front or back doors beyond what are legally required by legislation in any country. 

If such a nefarious usage was in place the US government would have been waving it around the world. 

Truth is, the US has not been able to provide a single shred of evidence to support its claims. Years of accusations but nothing to prove anything. 

QCOM lost 7.22% most likely because its dead customer become live again and no longer using its chips. 
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Sure wish I waited for this news (that I didn't know about) before buying another chunk of AAPL. Great opportunity! :)
    Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 27
    jfabula1 said:
    wood1208 said:

Don’t believe so much coming from the mouth piece….
    As opposed to that bastion of truth the United States that insisted that there were WMD’s in Iraq?

/S
    muthuk_vanalingamdanoxwilliamlondonrundhvid
  • Reply 10 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,778member
    Excellent buying opportunity, I'm grabbing another 200K of AAPL.
    Bart Y
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Another item left out of the story:

Even if this alleged ban in China costs Apple a few hundred thousand phone sales, how many of them will be made up in the newest big market: India?   This is the first launch where Apple has a real presence in that country:  web, stores (okay, just two of them..for now), and production.

My bet- in a few years, India will be buying more iPhones than China regardless of what the Chinese government says or does.
    Bart Ytmay
  • Reply 12 of 27
    avon b7 said:
    wood1208 said:

Some corrections. 

You seem to be trying really hard to spread propaganda and promote huawei.  Name one tech company outside of china that is partly owned by a government.  And is there another country outside of china that legislates a back door?

Here is a fact you probably know, but won’t admit — the only reason huawei is still around is because they either stole IP or were handed IP from the chinese government.  No innovation — only stealing and copying.

Do you really think anyone believes the trash you or your government spews out?
    tmaywilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,859member
    avon b7 said:
    wood1208 said:

Some corrections. 

You seem to be trying really hard to spread propaganda and promote huawei.  Name one tech company outside of china that is partly owned by a government.  And is there another country outside of china that legislates a back door?

Here is a fact you probably know, but won’t admit — the only reason huawei is still around is because they either stole IP or were handed IP from the chinese government.  No innovation — only stealing and copying.

I don't need people to believe or not believe me. I have an opinion. It is balanced and not prone to propaganda tactics. 

You have waded in making some big claims but I'm sure you cannot support a single one of those with anything that holds up to scrutiny. 

Ironically you will even claim this is propaganda but when you are forming an opinion it always a good idea to listen to the accused. 

https://www.huawei.com/en/media-center/multimedia/videos/2022/fact-huawei-isnt-built-on-chinese-state-funding
    rundhvid
  • Reply 14 of 27
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,076member
    NYC362 said:

Even if this alleged ban in China costs Apple a few hundred thousand phone sales, how many of them will be made up in the newest big market: India?   This is the first launch where Apple has a real presence in that country:  web, stores (okay, just two of them..for now), and production.

My bet- in a few years, India will be buying more iPhones than China regardless of what the Chinese government says or does.

You’re living in dreamland on that one, India’s new high speed rail, initiative will have a much bigger impact on the future of India. In fact, if the United States doesn’t get its ass in gear, India will pass the USA up in two years.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,076member
    avon b7 said:
    wood1208 said:

Some corrections. 

Does it have to be a tech company? There are many companies in all areas that are owned by governments around the world and almost every country in the world subsidizes the home team, big and small, why is this even a topic? Every country looks after their own self interest. Some are better at it than others. China, Israel, Turkey, India, South Korea, Japan, Russia, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Kuwait, for instance there is no real separation between the companies and the government (unless you’re dumb enough to believe it). They’re pretty much one in the same. 

Also in each one of those countries, if you are not a citizen of that country, you can’t buy nothing in those countries, but in most of the English-speaking countries (USA, UK Canada, New Zealand Australia) you can buy pretty much whatever you want if you are a non-citizen particularly real estate.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,430member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    wood1208 said:

Some corrections. 

I don't need people to believe or not believe me. I have an opinion. It is balanced and not prone to propaganda tactics. 

You have waded in making some big claims but I'm sure you cannot support a single one of those with anything that holds up to scrutiny. 

Ironically you will even claim this is propaganda but when you are forming an opinion it always a good idea to listen to the accused. 

https://www.huawei.com/en/media-center/multimedia/videos/2022/fact-huawei-isnt-built-on-chinese-state-funding
    The West is better off supporting growth in its own Telecom industry rather than funding Huawei. Let the BRICS pay for Huawei, and given that they are already have a number of autocratic members, Huawei will feel right at home.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    danox said:
    NYC362 said:

You’re living in dreamland on that one, India’s new high speed rail, initiative will have a much bigger impact on the future of India. In fact, if the United States doesn’t get its ass in gear, India will pass the USA up in two years.
    Hyperbole much? India will pass the USA up in two years in what? Rail connectivity and facilities? I don't have much knowledge about railway infrastructure in USA. But, if India were to have a better railway infrastructure than USA in 2 years, then it must be an extremely low quality bar that USA railways has set. I am from India and as far as I could see - Indian railways never had a period of extraordinary progress in a short span of time, nor stuck without progress for prolonged periods of time. It has made a slow and steady progress over the past 30 years. It is definitely not the start of the art or high quality by any stretch of imagination, but the good news is that it is continuing to make progress (never stuck without progress, which is what is the state of affairs in USA as per many commenters in this forum).

India's new high speed rail initiative covers just 2 cities (Mumbai and Ahmedabad). And Ahmedabad is not a major city. It was planned only because it is the native place of India's current Prime Minister. There is no plan for high speed rail connectivity for other major cities (New Delhi, Kolkotta, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad) yet. And they won't be getting high speed rail connectivity anytime soon (a decade or more). There are lot of challenges (land acquistion, funding, ROI etc) to execute such projects in India.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,430member
    danox said:
    NYC362 said:

"India will pass the USA up in two years"

Not sure what that is about, but if it's just about high speed rail, you can specifically thank Elon Musk for sidelining that in California.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/elon-musk-hyperloop-rail-17486877.php#:~:text=Musk%20reportedly%20told%20his%20biographer,too%20slow%2C%20outdated%20and%20expensive.

Then it came to light that the world’s richest man never intended to prove out the futuristic Hyperloop technology or build the proposed suction tube. Musk reportedly told his biographer, Ashlee Vance, that the Hyperloop proposal was motivated by “his hatred for California’s proposed high-speed rail system,” which he felt would be too slow, outdated and expensive. “With any luck, the high-speed rail would be canceled,” Vance wrote

Elon's narcissism, but not yet at its peak, at least to date, which would come with the purchase of Twitter.
    edited September 2023
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Be aware that the Chinese government has a very robust propaganda/disinformation branch with many ready followers who post regularly to push the interests of China.
    tmayKierkegaarden
  • Reply 20 of 27
    avon b7 said:
    wood1208 said:

Some corrections. 

What a difference knowledge makes 🙏

or…

Nothing to see here, move along”, for those who insist that the world is flat and everything is black/white; good/evil…