Apple Watch Series 9 & second Apple Watch Ultra will be significant upgrades

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2023

A report on Friday has spilled the beans on what appears to be a significant upgrade for both the Apple Watch Series 9 and the Apple Watch Ultra.

Apple Watch Ultra
Apple Watch Ultra

There have been few rumors about the new Apple Watch lineup at Apple's event, with most focusing on a new chip granting both the Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra more speed. However, Friday's report by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, goes into more detail about both devices.

As expected, neither Apple Watch model will change in size, nor design. However, new materials and colors are coming, with both devices using more recycled materials. The Apple Watch Ultra will get a new black color, as previously rumored.

While the report doesn't delve too heavily into the specifics, both models are said to get "various sensor and internal component upgrades," including a new version of the lauded heart rate sensor. The updates are also rumored to improve efficiency and sensor accuracy.

Both devices are rumored to include a new U2 ultra wide band chip. This will give the devices improved Find My capability.

The report also delves into the recent rumor that Apple will shift away from leather. However, this report says that only "some" of its leather watch bands will be discontinued.

Numerous rumors have surfaced throughout August about Apple switching to a woven composite fabric from its use of leather, affecting iPhone cases and Apple Watch bands. In the latter's case, the shift from leather may fully happen in September's event

Mark Gurman has a long-term, and well above average track record for reporting on Apple's future plans.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    If the Ultra get Emergency SOS via satellite I'll upgrade again. Outside of that I'm not sure if any YoY feature could move the needle for me.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    We consider new colours, an improved heart rate sensor, and improved Find My "significant" upgrades now? I remember when significant meant things like mobile calling capability.
    twolf2919bob-tahomawilliamlondongrandact73Alex1NJaphey
  • Reply 3 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Xed said:
    If the Ultra get Emergency SOS via satellite I'll upgrade again. Outside of that I'm not sure if any YoY feature could move the needle for me.

To be honest, I'm waiting for a compelling reason to upgrade my Series 4. I suspect it may be when the battery finally gives out, but I still easily get a full-day between charges. Maybe the 9 will surprise me with something.
    dewmeAlex1Nmattinoz
  • Reply 4 of 19
    What a nice picture of the sore on their arm…
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mike1 said:

To be honest, I'm waiting for a compelling reason to upgrade my Series 4. I suspect it may be when the battery finally gives out, but I still easily get a full-day between charges. Maybe the 9 will surprise me with something.

Yes, me too. I owned a "Series 0" and waited for the Series 4 to upgrade — and with features like fall detection, a bigger screen, ECG, raise-to-talk, vastly better processor and improved battery, it was worth it. Four years later, it still has fantastic battery life; it's very rare that my usage takes me to low-power mode near day's end.

The always-on, even larger displays, crash detection, and health features in newer models have tempted me … but not enough yet. I have zero doubt that I will upgrade eventually … but it's not clear whether the Series 9, 10, or 11 will be what gets me there.
    edited September 2023 Alex1N
  • Reply 6 of 19
    As another poster already complained, I fail to see how speed/accuracy improvements warrant the moniker "significant upgrade".  The only thing that'll make an Apple Watch upgrade significant, at this point, is the addition of a new sensor or, as another poster suggested, the addition of satellite SOS (perhaps only in the Ultra model as that feature might require significant power/battery?).

My previous Apple Watch was the AW6 and I vowed not to get a new one until the watch included a new sensor - e.g. blood pressure, body temperature, or glucose - none of these were added, but they did the only other thing for which I'd shell out for an upgrade: a bigger screen & battery in the introduced Ultra.  There have been no rumors about new sensors, so....
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonAlex1Njfabula1multimedia
  • Reply 7 of 19
    It’s weird to see people get hung up on a suggestive term like significant. The level of significance will obviously vary from person to person, but all you really need to keep in mind when reading any article is that significant can simply mean notable, which all stated improvements are (literally).
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 19
    That "significant" headline was the definition of "clickbait." Drew me in since I'll be swapping out my Ultra when the blood pressure sensor makes it into production. I know, I read the previous story that said it wouldn't make it until next year but I was hoping anyway. 
    grandact73Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 19
    A wrist blood pressure sensor is doable. At my last semi-annual dental check, the tech Velcroed a BP sensor not much bigger than my Ultra around my right wrist (she didn't ask me to remove my Ultra from my left wrist) and the result was very close to what my resting BP numbers normally are. So the technology is there, Apple just has to miniaturize it. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 10 of 19
    felix01 said:
    A wrist blood pressure sensor is doable. At my last semi-annual dental check, the tech Velcroed a BP sensor not much bigger than my Ultra around my right wrist (she didn't ask me to remove my Ultra from my left wrist) and the result was very close to what my resting BP numbers normally are. So the technology is there, Apple just has to miniaturize it. 
    Uh... Without a pressurized chamber, which takes up most of the current devices? Do you know the brand? Because I don't think that's out in the wild yet.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I would only upgrade from my Ultra if the new one included blood pressure detection. Otherwise, my current one remains delightful.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I would only upgrade from my Ultra if the new one included blood pressure detection. Otherwise, my current one remains delightful.
    Glucose for me to upgrade to the next ultra since im a type 2 diabetic, hate poking every day🙄🤨🤔
  • Reply 13 of 19
    You need to look up significant in the dictionary because there is nothing significant in the Apple Watch upgrade.   
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Toortog said:
    You need to look up significant in the dictionary because there is nothing significant in the Apple Watch upgrade.   
    You're the one that needs to look in a dictionary.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I’m hung up on my GOLD ALUMINUM Series 6 that I bought at the end of its year because Apple decided to DROP GOLD Aluminum with Series 7. I get around the short battery life by turning it OFF between daily exercises as that’s the main thing I use it for. But I still wear it 24/7, just not ON most of the time. I don’t understand why Apple quit GOLD Aluminum watches. I find Starlight just too silver for my taste. My two year old GOLD Aluminum Series 6 still looks like new. I’m going to wait at least another year to see what the new 2024 band is all about before I consider leaving my GOLD Aluminum behind.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    About the SE model? 
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Boomer Apple enthusiast here with a Series 5 watch. The heart rate monitor on the Apple Watch is among its most important feature for me. So an improvement in the HRM means instant order for me.
    designr
  • Reply 18 of 19
    sflagel said:
    We consider new colours, an improved heart rate sensor, and improved Find My "significant" upgrades now? I remember when significant meant things like mobile calling capability.
    Exactly spot on. Any change is considered “significant” nowadays as there isn’t much to talk about. That’s why the Apple events are so boring.