iPhone 15 Pro models will be thicker & lighter than iPhone 14 Pro

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2023

The iPhone 15 will be almost identical in size and weight to the iPhone 14, but the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max are rumored to be thicker and lighter than the iPhone 14 Pro.

iPhone 15 Pro render
iPhone 15 Pro render

Every year, Apple makes small changes to its iPhone product lineup that can render accessories from earlier models unusable by the latest releases. For the 2023 collection due on Tuesday, it seems that Pro model buyers will have more to consider than the standard non-Pro iPhone 15 purchasers.

In data uncovered by MacRumors, the iPhone 15 will be the same 7.8mm thickness as the iPhone 14. It will be slightly wider at 71.6mm (2.81 inches) to 71.5mm, and it will be longer at 147.6mm (5.8 inches) versus 146.7mm.

The iPhone 15 will also be lighter than its predecessor by one gram, at 171 grams (6.03 ounces).

Data was not available for the iPhone 15 Plus.

While the iPhone 15 will stay pretty much the same as the previous model, and therefore should fit into most cases without needing a new one to be bought by upgraders, the same cannot be said for the Pro models.

The iPhone 15 Pro will be shorter than the iPhone 14 Pro at 146.6mm to 147.5mm, narrower at 70.6mm to 71.5mm, and thicker at 8.25mm versus 7.85mm. It will be lighter, at 1.88 grams to 206 grams for the iPhone 14 Pro.

It's the same story for the iPhone 15 Pro Max, with the same growth in thickness accompanied by a shorter body at 159mm to 160.7mm, and a narrower frame at 76.7mm to 77.6mm. The 221-gram weight is also down versus the iPhone 14 Pro Max's 240 grams.

Report sources say the models will use Grade 5 Titanium, which will greatly affect the weight of the Pro models. Though the overall form factor is largely the same, the thickness change will be the element which could rule out using older accessories.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Wow, the iPhone 15 Pro Max being 19 grams lighter than the 14 Pro Max will definitely put less strain on people’s bones and joints. That’s like carrying 8 fewer pennies in your pocket.

Not only that, iPhone 15 Pro Max  owners can now buy pants with 1 mm shallower and 1 mm narrower pockets. 

I guess we’ll know who has upgraded to the 15 Pro Max by seeing all those iPhone 15 Pro Max owners with a little more pep in their step.

What about the difference in the weight of the charging cable? Or do we have to wait for the big reveal to find out? Not sure I’ll be able to sleep for the next couple of days …
    williamlondonAlex1NWhiskeyAPPLEcider
  • Reply 2 of 6
    It’s a tenth of a mm difference for the non Pro. 🤔 
    edited September 2023 williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 6
    A little thicker is great. The iPhone is kind of dangerous to hold sometimes at the thinness it is now. It’s ok but I’m always worried it’s going to slip when it’s out of its case. 

Lighter is always great. I don’t carry my phone in my pocket anymore and haven’t fsince the 6 plus. But for those that do, it makes a difference. 

Titanium is great. Hopefully they’re using the right grade. If so, the iPhone will be stronger than ever, even though it’s lighter. 

I’ll take the titanium gray color please. Love it when products showcase what they’re engineered from. 
    Alex1NWhiskeyAPPLEcider
  • Reply 4 of 6
    People scoff at the incremental differences in weight and size over the years, but a current top-of-the line iPhone [14 Pro Max] weighs more than two top-of-the-line iPhones from 2012 (240g vs. 112g for the iPhone 5), and they have only gotten thicker since the iPhone 6.
    appleinsideruserdanoxAlex1N
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    People scoff at the incremental differences in weight and size over the years, but a current top-of-the line iPhone [14 Pro Max] weighs more than two top-of-the-line iPhones from 2012 (240g vs. 112g for the iPhone 5), and they have only gotten thicker since the iPhone 6.
    The few grams of weight reduction is certainly a move in the right direction after many years of constant increases in both size and weight.

That’s not the thing that’s scoff worthy here. What is scoff worthy is the desperation to dig up anything compelling or even mildly interesting or newsworthy or worth speculating about with the product release only days away. 

Maybe Apple is finally doing a much better job of stifling leaks, which would explain why we’re only seeing crumb sized improvements mentioned. Or maybe everything leaked so far, no matter how uninspiring and pastel in nature, or deferred to 2024, is all there is for this year’s new and updated products. 

I’m expecting Apple is going to be showing us a little more than what we’ve been hearing about for the past year. If a 19 gram weight reduction and 1 mm slimming of the Pro Max gets mentioned during the presentation, I think Apple is in real trouble. 
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dewme said:
    The few grams of weight reduction is certainly a move in the right direction after many years of constant increases in both size and weight.

That’s not the thing that’s scoff worthy here. What is scoff worthy is the desperation to dig up anything compelling or even mildly interesting or newsworthy or worth speculating about with the product release only days away. 

Maybe Apple is finally doing a much better job of stifling leaks, which would explain why we’re only seeing crumb sized improvements mentioned. Or maybe everything leaked so far, no matter how uninspiring and pastel in nature, or deferred to 2024, is all there is for this year’s new and updated products. 

I’m expecting Apple is going to be showing us a little more than what we’ve been hearing about for the past year. If a 19 gram weight reduction and 1 mm slimming of the Pro Max gets mentioned during the presentation, I think Apple is in real trouble. 
    I do think Apple will show us a little more, but I also think that they will tout the loss in weight, if true. Nothing wrong with that.
    Alex1N