Totally loving Safari now?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

It's doing this to me as well, and I'm not sure why. I can't see anything that would cause it.

also, how do I get rid of the java console?

haha i guess nobody cares about us
  • Reply 22 of 43
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    how does safari work with secure sites now? how about with ebay? i couldn't list things on ebay with earlier versions
  • Reply 23 of 43
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trevorM

?Or are you satisfied enough?

No.

Reason: Still no "back", "forward" in the contextual menu!
  • Reply 24 of 43
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

No.

Reason: Still no "back", "forward" in the contextual menu!

Actually I'll admit that the contextual menu is a lacking a little at the moment
  • Reply 25 of 43
    I'm giving Safari the Lemon Love TM right now.

It silk vs cotton. You hearing dat, M$?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 26 of 43
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

I also use Safari as my primary browser, but it still has some major issues with Java applets on some of the sites I visit on a daily basis, including my bank. It doesn't seem to be an OS issue, since Exploder still renders those Java applets correctly, albeit really slow.

Why is it that Java is so "iffy" in Safari? Will it ever work well?

\

I had a similar problem with my bank and found that if I visited that site with "Block Pop-Up Windows" engaged it did not work. I thought that the problem was with Safari because IE worked. Try visiting that site with "Block Pop-Up Windows" un-engaged.

Ty
  • Reply 27 of 43
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I'm giving Safari the Lemon Love TM right now.

It silk vs cotton. You hearing dat, M$?

Lemon Bon Bon

HA! I thought you are only using OS 9
  • Reply 28 of 43
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Has anybody else had the problem with Safari hanging upon launches? It's happened to me several times just yesterday and today. It will take almost a minute (with the bouncing beachball) for anything to load initially. It was a random thing, but now it's becoming expected. I had none of this with previous releases at all.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Safari v73 is working great for me. It now works flawlessly with Wells Fargo whereas WF refused to work with Safari at all before. Maybe they got tired of me sending them notes asking them to upgrade their web page.

As a suggestion for those having trouble with Safari, first open the Safari folder in your library and make a copy of the bookmarks.plist file in a separate folder. Then under the Safari menu select Reset Safari...

This will clear out everything and put Safari back into a fresh state. Quit Safari then replace the bookmarks file with the copy you made.

Restart Safari.

Possibly this will help.

Actually, for safety I would make a copy of the entire Safari folder and the apple.com.safari.plist file in the Library/Preferences folder just in case.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

so how do i fix this, i dont want to to ask me

Just delete the old keychain entry and let Safari recreate it. This odd behavior sometimes happens when you copy a new version of an app over an old.

Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

It won't remember the new homepage that I set for it.

EVER!

Have you tried deleting Safari's preferences?
  • Reply 31 of 43
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

is there any way to get safari to play mpgs in the browser?

Yes: get people to code their webpages properly and use some EMBED tags. Check out www.pixar.com for how it looks.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Why is their no Toolbar tictac widget to get rid of the toolbars?
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Why is their no Toolbar tictac widget to get rid of the toolbars?

The toolbar Apple uses is not the standard cocoa NSToolbar. It's some funky custom class. I have no idea why is it because the NSToolbar is *far* superior. Note that you can't move the buttons around the toolbar or "poof" them off it either.

On second thought, maybe it's because of the resizable slider between the address and Google fields that Apple had to subclass this.

Anyway, there's your answer.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    I forgot all about good old Safari in the flutter of iTunes. Yup, I'm loving it as much as ever. I can't recall the last time I've fired up IE. I guess when this goes final I'll be a permenant switcher.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

The toolbar Apple uses is not the standard cocoa NSToolbar. It's some funky custom class. I have no idea why is it because the NSToolbar is *far* superior. Note that you can't move the buttons around the toolbar or "poof" them off it either.

On second thought, maybe it's because of the resizable slider between the address and Google fields that Apple had to subclass this.

Anyway, there's your answer.

In my mind, the real "toolbar" for Safari is the Bookmark Bar -- which adopts NSToolbar's features in moving items around, adding, and organizing. There there's much more dynamic activity going on in that space than the address bar.

Just a difference in philosophy, but it makes sense. Who knows, perhaps there are technicial reasons as the slider as well.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I still have a few javascript niggles here and there, but Safari has now deposed every other browser from the Dock.

Can't wait for the final.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

Yes: get people to code their webpages properly and use some EMBED tags.

Contradictio in terminis!

I'll have you know that EMBED is nowhere to be seen in the HTML 4.01 specification, let alone in XHTML. It's an old hack that's still around, and sadly enough, still supported by most browsers.

The correct way would be by using the OBJECT tags appropriately. They have been around at least since HTML 4 ('98 or '99), but plenty 'o browsers still couldn't care less.

Ah well. Browsers and standards compliance'll give you gray hair way before your time.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Just delete the old keychain entry and let Safari recreate it. This odd behavior sometimes happens when you copy a new version of an app over an old.

the wise wisdom of brade

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
  • Reply 39 of 43
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I sent extensive feedback to Apple yesterday because I couldn't take it anymore. After a few minutes or a few hours depending on what sites I'm browsing (I guess? AI doesn't do this often) Safari stops loading pages correctly or at all. It royally messed up Slashdot twice rendering those icons at the top all over the page like wallpaper with only the first headline loaded. Next time I'll post a screenshot.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    It's good...nowhere near Camino's latest nightlies for speed or ease of use (I need contextual menus) but it is my secondary browser.