Roadside Assistance via Satellite provides more help for iPhone users

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2023

During the iPhone 15 event, Apple announced expanded satellite safety features, providing aid when you need roadside assistance when first responders aren't necessary.

Satellite features on iPhone 15
Satellite features on iPhone 15

Apple highlighted the importance of Emergency SOS via Satellite during its Wonderlust iPhone 15 event, showcasing users who were rescued thanks to the new service. Now, it's bringing more functionality for when emergency first responders don't need to be deployed.

The new feature is called Roadside Assistance via Satellite and it operates in much the same way. With a compatible phone limited to iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 models, users can text Roadside Assistance which will ask you a series of questions to get you aid.

Roadside assistance options
Roadside assistance options

Car lockouts, no fuel or charge, flat tires, car stuck, or vehicle not starting are the options Apple will present during the aid process.

When you're experiencing a roadside issue, this can help users can the help they need even if cellular connectivity isn't available.

The service will be included for free for two years with new iPhone 15 purchases. AAA members get the service for free.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    By free service, I assume you mean just the calling feature (satellite only needed if out of cell range), not the fix- it truck or tow you get.  That would be a separate service that has its own cost.   If that service stop is covered for two years, that would be way too amazing to believe.  
    I do think an edit is in order to prevent false expectations of what is free for two years.  It’s not obvious to all that will read the article.  
    Otherwise, great news and lots of fast reporting on Apple’s reveal event. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    By free service, I assume you mean just the calling feature (satellite only needed if out of cell range), not the fix- it truck or tow you get.  That would be a separate service that has its own cost.   If that service stop is covered for two years, that would be way too amazing to believe.  
    I do think an edit is in order to prevent false expectations of what is free for two years.  It’s not obvious to all that will read the article.  
    Apparently only AAA for the moment. This year AAA California is $56/year for the basic service. As a 49 year member* I can say even if you need them once every couple of years it's worth it.

* Except that one year back in the 1970s, while I was a struggling student, when they kicked me out because I ran out of gas 24 times in 6 months. LOL.
    pichaelkdupuis77Alex1Nappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    During the Apple video earlier, they did mention that the satellite-based roadside service request functionality would be free for existing AAA members (with more providers to come later) as well as new members. So the linkup itself is free for "two years" (Or until Apple figures out how/if they will charge us for this great feature) but yes you must pay for your own AAA membership still. And I also agree, the annual fee is well worth it if you ever need the services and CAN be worth it with discounted hotel rooms and other things (Always check the Non-AAA prices though as discounts/sales are sometimes less).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Lost in translation is the fact that Apple’s satellite road service is US only. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I swear, if Apple covered the entire planet with a new service starting on day one, there would be people complaining, "wtf, it doesn't work off of Earth!"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I swear, if Apple covered the entire planet with a new service starting on day one, there would be people complaining, "wtf, it doesn't work off of Earth!"
    So what is your problem, earthoid?