Second Gen AirPods Pro get new USB-C case that can be charged by iPhone 15 directly

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2023

Apple has brought USB-C charging capabilities to the second-generation AirPods Pro, and for the first time, the new case can be charged by the iPhone.

New USB-C AirPods Pro charging case
New USB-C AirPods Pro charging case

While the AirPods Pro didn't receive a refresh at this year's iPhone 15 event, the second-generation AirPods Pro case did.

Like the iPhone 15 lineup, the AirPods Pro charging case now features a USB-C port rather than Apple's proprietary Lightning connector. The new USB-C port simplifies charging, and the iPhone 15 lineup can charge AirPods directly.

Apple mentioned a few new features with the updated AirPods Pro 2 with USB-C, but isn't clear about which devices get these features specifically. The case has an actual dust rating now, instead of "X," it's IP54, and it gained USB-C.

But in the same statement, Apple says AirPods Pro 2 with USB-C gets Lossless audio when connected to Apple Vision Pro. It is related to the H2 processor, which is in the Lightning version of the AirPods Pro 2 also, so it doesn't seem likely that the Lossless feature would be limited to the new USB-C case.

AppleInsider has reached out to Apple for confirmation of the new feature set.

Currently, there is no way to order the case alone. However, those who are looking to upgrade to the second-generation AirPods Pro can do so starting September 12 for $249 on Amazon.

The AirPods Pro will be available in stores and begin shipping to customers who ordered the upgraded version online on Friday, September 22.

Apple is also selling a USB-C version of its wired EarPods, designed to work with the new iPhone 15 lineup, for $19.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
     Currently, there is no way to order the case alone.”

I can heard the uproar starting in 5,4,3,2,1….. 😎
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    glennh said:
    “ Currently, there is no way to order the case alone.”

I can heard the uproar starting in 5,4,3,2,1….. 😎
    I'm sure they will soon start selling a USB-C charging case as an option accessory soon as they did with the MagSafe cases as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,736member
    It's taken years to get here but it's a great addition. 
  • Reply 4 of 5
    So does this reverse charging work for other devices plugged into a 15? Or is it tied down to watch and AirPods?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    When my family goes out of town, I pack each of them a tech bag for keeping their devices charged.  Lately that just means one of the compact dual USB-C adapters, a watch cable, and lightning cable.  They also carry a MagSafe battery.  When it comes to charging, they charge overnight through the battery.  That just leaves the kids AirPods, which they need to charge separately.

I wonder we'll be able to also charge AirPods with this configuration.  Battery>iPhone 15>AirPod Pros.  🤔
    watto_cobra