iPhone 15 Pro Max vs. iPhone 14 Pro Max -- Specs, price, and features, compared

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    entropys said:
    The video direct to external storage is an interesting feature. I wonder if a vendor comes up with a streamlined external drive that sits flush with the iPhone?
    Embed it in a case, so it can be unobtrusive.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Zero_Cool said:
    Skeptical said:
    Zero_Cool said:
    Nothing about the 15 interests me. I’ll be keeping my 14 pro max until they remove the port altogether.
    We’re all happy for your decision. Thanks for clarifying that. We weren’t sure what you were going to do. 

Well, now that you have chimed in when no one asked, thanks…
    Exactly. No one asked you whether you would by the phone or not. Who cares what you do. Are you attention starved? Vote with your wallet and keep it your business. 

• Reply 23 of 30
    Here in the UK, John Lewis and Amazon continue to have the 14 Pro Max 256GB at 1249 GBP, a full 50 quid more than the 1199 GBP Apple will be selling  the 15 Pro Max for. Might be some nice offers for a 14 going on soon. 
    I just checked amazon it’s 1176.91 but one left for the muppet who can’t wait a week.

• Reply 24 of 30
    Am I the only one that is scratching their head at the same physical design for 4 years in a row?

Apple used to change the physical design Every two years. This “flat” sided iPhone design has been around since iPhone 12.

Sure they have changed the materials and dimensions a bit to accommodate for different internals and cameras… And I think this maybe the most iconic iPhone design shape, but I used to really look forward to a brand new design Every two years. 

I think the iPhone 10-11 were the best feeling in hand. 
  • Reply 25 of 30
    XedXed Posts: 2,692member
    Am I the only one that is scratching their head at the same physical design for 4 years in a row?

Apple used to change the physical design Every two years. This “flat” sided iPhone design has been around since iPhone 12.

Sure they have changed the materials and dimensions a bit to accommodate for different internals and cameras… And I think this maybe the most iconic iPhone design shape, but I used to really look forward to a brand new design Every two years. 

1) Changing materials and dimensions is physical design.

2) How much of a radical change in the general shape can you expect after 15 years of refining?
  • Reply 26 of 30
    2) How much of a radical change in the general shape can you expect after 15 years of refining?
    Well I knew this question would come in this manner. To answer your question I enjoyed the differences in each iteration IPhone  when the two-year cycle came around.

My favorite design was the iPhone 4.

It was the one that stood against all other phones on the market and looked and felt like it was from a different era.  

I don’t think Apple’s intention with design is to refine a product until they find the pinnacle of design, and then stay stagnant with the same type of design for years on end. 

So with that said, There are plenty of ways to change the aesthetic, and obviously  still retain the iPhone fApple flare that we know and love.

My gripe with the design is valid for these reasons. It’s been 4 iterations and years with this particular design.  Wanting them to change it up a bit more than new materials and slightly rounding the corners of the phone would not be a bad thing. 

It’s just getting a little bit long in the tooth for me.

I think we’ll always see rounded rectangular cell phones come from Apple because that’s in their DNA. That’s why all their apps have rounded squares. The Apple Watches also have a rounded square. They helped create that shape in digital interface, so, I am sure it will always be a part of their design language. 

But the edges, camera, screen, backplate real estate, etc.… Can all change in various ways. 

I’m not saying Samsung and other android phones have better looking phones…
    In fact I think they do not look better than Apple‘s iPhone, but one cannot deny that they do look cool and unique and are pleasing to the eye. .  

We can use Android phones  as an example of how many different ways you can design a rounded rectangle to look sleek and cool and unique from each other.  

I’m an apple fan, and I upgrade every year. My remarks and questions about their design was not made to be negative or bash them.

It was me because I am longing for a new design. I don’t think the iPhone 15. Is that much of a departure from the 12 13  and 14 that preceded it. 

I do appreciate the titanium, and apparently they rounded the corners a little bit more to be comfortable in the hand.

I will enjoy it. Just looking to see if others have noticed that they haven’t been sticking to the 2 year cycle design refresh. 

Lastly… Before anybody else comes in and tells me how difficult it is to change even the smallest minute details on the phone, I already know.

The iPhone 15 is built from the ground up. It Has to be. 
    When you add all these features, chips, different camera lenses… USB-C port… And make it with titanium frame… It’s a completely newly designed phone in everyway, and I am aware of that.

I am simply talking about The styling of the phone for the past four years has been largely the same. The last design cycle was iPhone 10 and 11. I really enjoyed that design as well. I also felt that the design felt better in the hand.

I wouldn’t even mind them  going back to that design. 
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Off topic. My charging port constantly gets clogged with debris because I often work outdoors in nature. I only charge using MagSafe so the port is seldom employed. Does anyone make a “butt plug” for the iPhone? A little Lightning (or now USB-C) shaped thingy with a protruding tab that can keep that port sealed?
    marc g
  • Reply 28 of 30
    XedXed Posts: 2,692member
    Off topic. My charging port constantly gets clogged with debris because I often work outdoors in nature. I only charge using MagSafe so the port is seldom employed. Does anyone make a “butt plug” for the iPhone? A little Lightning (or now USB-C) shaped thingy with a protruding tab that can keep that port sealed?
    Just check Amazon. There are countless anti-dust plugs for all sorts of ports.
    marc g
  • Reply 29 of 30
    thttht Posts: 5,536member
    Xed said:

Re 1: the iPhone 14 (not Pro) was a major change in industrial design. The iPhone 15 Pro, and presumably the iPhone 15, continues it. They have an internal structural frame, which unloads both the back and front glass, and all the internal components are mounted in it. That’s a huge change to the assembly process. 

Re 2: the design space is basically unlimited and Apple could do a lot of different things, but they choose not to as they have to maintain a slow and steady brand. 

The fundamental shape of the iPhone is its brand identity. The corner radii to side length has been the same since 2007. The home button, notch, dynamic island are secondary brand identifiers. 

They have a lot of things that they could do even with the current shape. Move the sleep/wake button back to the top. Round the bound edge more. Add some bezel back. Make the device thicker so the back cameras don’t stick out. Have the side lip over the back and front glass. Use recessed buttons instead of ones that stick out. Move the cameras away from the corner.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,770member
    The article fails to mention that the iPhone 15 Pro can (will be able to) take 3D video for Apple Vision Pro. That is a wonderful feature that is likely to trigger an upgrade for me as I plan on purchasing an AVP.
    But that will only be useful if you own a $3500 Apple Vision Pro (which will surely move to an M3 before its released).
    It is currently unknown you can watch this on any VR device that plays back stereoscopic footage.
    Is that a reason for it to be neglected in the article?