Woman swallowed her AirPod after mistaking it for a vitamin

Posted:
in General Discussion

A new viral video on TikTok has a woman explaining how she accidentally swallowed one of her AirPods while chatting with a friend.

Third-generation AirPods
Third-generation AirPods



In the video, Utah resident Tanna Barker explained how the incident happened. She'd met up with a friend, and after taking her AirPod out to better hear, accidentally popped it into her mouth, thinking it was a vitamin.

"I put my vitamins in, took a drink, and I was like, man, those are stuck," she says in a video spotted by The Daily Mail.

"So I guzzled my water, kept on going, said bye to [the friend] and went to go get my AirPod. And my pills were in my hand. I swallowed my AirPod."



Barker immediately called close friends and doctors to ask for advice. They all told her to do the same thing -- let it pass naturally.

"There's a bonus," Barker says while laughing. "I still have my right AirPod."

In the video, Barker wonders if anyone else has done the same thing. As it turns out -- they have. Often.

In February 2021, a man from Massachusetts swallowed one of his AirPods in his sleep. The device had to be removed via emergency endoscopy.

In November 2021, a Massachusetts woman swallowed one of her AirPods after mixing up her AirPods and an ibuprofen.

In June 2022, a celebrity in the UK accidentally swallowed an AirPod, after mistakenly consuming the Apple wireless earbud along with her vitamins. She later threw it up.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 18
    🙄

    This is why people who can’t multitask properly, shouldn’t. 

    I can see putting it in your mouth, but swallowing it is a different class of idiot. 
    kdupuis779secondkox2Alex1N
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Wow. Adult loves AirPod while kids love Tide Pod. "Pod" is so "Popular". Maybe Apple should coat AirPod with extreme sour flavor.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    ...only in america.
    9secondkox2ralphie
  • Reply 4 of 18
    kmarei said:
    ...only in america.
    …and the UK according to the story.
    retrogustomaltz9secondkox2Alex1NchasmFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 18
    maltzmaltz Posts: 461member
    "let it pass naturally"

    Um, no, you should make an immediate trip to the emergency room.  If they rupture or even just become stuck, lithium batteries can cause severe, life-threatening injury very quickly.
    kdupuis779secondkox2Alex1NFileMakerFellerappleinsideruser
  • Reply 6 of 18
    maltz said:
    "let it pass naturally"

    Um, no, you should make an immediate trip to the emergency room.  If they rupture or even just become stuck, lithium batteries can cause severe, life-threatening injury very quickly.
    Imagine that little sucker's battery rupturing and igniting inside her stomach lol. Holy sweet lord talk about heartburn lol.
    9secondkox2Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,413member
    Maybe Apple needs to work on the mouthfeel of the AirPods. 

    Too smooth & tasty?

    A strip of foil may help.
    edited September 2023 9secondkox2mknelsonAlex1NjSnively
  • Reply 8 of 18
    If you mistake a giant AirPod with a very distinctive shape (stems anyone?) for a… vitamin… you have done very serious issues indeed. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Wait until she sues Apple for it.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 10 of 18
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,128member
    🙄

    This is why people who can’t multitask properly, shouldn’t. 

    I can see putting it in your mouth, but swallowing it is a different class of idiot. 
    So, nobody should…

    People don't multitask, they multiplex (do a bit of a, a bit of b, a bit of a, a bit of c, a bit of b…). It's basically the same as CPU thread switching, but unlike CPUs, people don't have perfect memory. 

    And I agree with your swallowing comment. I can certainly see distractedly picking one up and popping it in your mouth, but how big (and wax flavoured) are your horse vitamins to not clue in immediately!
    Alex1Ndewme
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Don’t you have to be a special kind of stupid to do something like that? It scares me that these people live among us. They drive. And they vote. Which explains a lot…
    KosherCoder
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Wonder if the person involved was either drinking (heavily) or a heavy user of wacky tebacky (or something stronger)?  Maybe the battery in these is sealed tightly enough that they can be allowed to pass thru the body safely.  Would be interesting to know what the poison center would advise.  For rings, I believe the standard protocol is to allow the ring to pass normally.  There is a capsule with a camera that a friend of mine had to swallow for an examination of part of her gastrointestinal system.  I've seen a picture of the device (seems huge).  Found the following from a facility in India.  
    https://www.medicoverhospitals.in/surgery-cost/capsule-endoscopy-cost#:~:text=traditional%20endoscopy%20procedures.-,Capsule%20Endoscopy%20Cost%20In%20India,25%2C000%20to%20Rs  

    Found this from the world famous Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN on capsule endoscopy:  
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/capsule-endoscopy/about/pac-20393366  
    edited September 2023
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Just to let you know you can order AirPod right or left ear at Walmart.com. I lost my right AirPod and it was great that I could by the one.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,413member
    Interesting that 2 of the cases were in Massachusetts. Maybe they thought they were albino clams. Was there a bowl of melted butter nearby?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    She's not smart enough to even own AirPods.
    KosherCoder
  • Reply 16 of 18
    This again. Sheeeh.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,298member
    Once again proves that you can't fix stupid.
Sign In or Register to comment.