iPhone 15 Pro has faster 5G downloads -- assuming you've got good coverage

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2023

Data gleaned from iPhone 15 Pro 5G speed tests suggest that users will see a notable download boost, but that's still assuming that you've got good network coverage.

iPhone 15 Pro color options
iPhone 15 Pro color options

Apple's iPhone 15 line features the Qualcomm Snapdragon X70 model. Speed test result for just the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone Pro Max, versus the two iPhone 14 Pro models suggest that all three major networks in the US will deliver better download speed, and slightly better upload speed for users.

In short, SpeedSmart says that "an average download speed of 255 Mbps over 5G is very impressive." This, of course, varies by carrier, and the user's location. It's also not clear how different the antenna system is in the new model, versus the iPhone 14 Pro.

In our experience, the 5G build-out is going very slowly. Most of the AppleInsider staffers don't see good 5G speeds despite being mostly in the suburbs of large population centers, and speeds remain miserable outside of major metropolitan areas.

The FCC says that it has made auctioning high-speed spectrum freed by various initiatives a priority, and that has been the case with the spectrum available for carriers to utilize. However, projects like the 5G Fund for Rural America, and other programs don't seem to have given the carriers any real boost in roll-outs.

And, like the report says, "Ping times, like upload speed, had mostly minor bumps in performance to unchanged between devices."

"There is always next year for that..." The report concludes.

Announced just four days ago, Qualcomm's Snapdragon 5G Modem-RF Systems for smartphones will be provided to Apple for smartphone launches in 2024, 2025, and 2026. This would in theory mean Qualcomm's modems will be used in the iPhone 18 range.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    And they're getting this data from where? From the select few Apple employees who both have a iPhone 15 pro/pro max test unit and are also using this particular speed test service which I have never even heard of? So these tests were likely concentrated in very particular areas, and there may have been a grand total of 3 users using this particular speed test service. Why would any Apple employee even use "SpeedSmart" to test their phone?
    I would not be surprised if the performance is actually better from last year, but this conclusion is extremely premature, unscientific, and a total conjecture. 
    edited September 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    It’s ultimately radio distance and performance will vary like always similar to telling your fortune :)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/467389267549858469/ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    It the same thing every year and every year my phone still doesn’t work at work lol. I don’t care if I can pull ludicrous speeds, I just want my phone to always work when I have a signal but we aren’t there yet 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Great, I guess. I'm literally in the most populated neighborhood in my city right now and have one bar of 5GUC and got 142Mbps down (fine), 12Mbps up (boo), 22ms ping (good). But, it fluctuates SO wildly depending on where/when you are, I can't imagine anyone at all noticing these speed bumps. For the most part, I haven't noticed a huge overall improvement over when I first got 4G, which WAS very noticeable at the time.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Well, that rules out T-Mobile near me. Service is very spotty despite being a well populated city.
    watto_cobra