New study finds Mac most secure & cost competitive in enterprise workplaces

Posted:
in macOS

A new study by Cisco compares Mac and PC usage in enterprise environments, focusing on security, cost, preference, and productivity -- and finds that Mac still holds up surprisingly well.

Mac in the workplace
Mac in the workplace

Cisco recently conducted an extensive study examining the impact of Mac versus PC in hybrid work environments. This study, based on an analysis of internal company data encompassing over 130,000 employees across 99 countries, provides insights into the potential advantages of Mac within enterprise settings.

There are some differences in cyber security between Mac and PC users. According to data from Cisco Secure Endpoint detection, Mac users tend to have lower rates of viruses and other cyber threats. Biometric security is also more commonly used among Mac users, with approximately 89% utilizing this technology compared to 29% of PC users.

Additionally, the upgrade process for macOS Ventura appears to be faster than that of Windows 11, which may make Macs a better choice for those who prioritize staying up-to-date with the latest technology.

Regarding cost, the study challenges the notion that Macs are inherently more expensive. According to Cisco's data, Macs were cost-competitive with PCs over three years, depending on the hardware model.

And, as it has been before, the Mac upfront price can be a deterrent to adopters. However, Cisco assesses that Mac is between $148 and $395 less expensive over three years.

The study also highlights employee choice and efficiency. It reveals that 60% of Cisco's workforce currently uses Mac devices, and when given the choice during device refresh cycles, a significant number of PC users -- 24% -- opt to switch to Mac. This indicates a growing preference for Apple products, providing employees with more platform options.

In terms of productivity and user satisfaction, the study suggests potential benefits associated with Mac use. It reports a reduced need for IT administrators to support staff using Macs and higher satisfaction levels among Mac and iPhone users regarding IT support.

Cisco IT has developed a built Total Cost Ownership (TCO) Calculator used to analyze key components of the program from a cost standpoint. The calculator is now available to all.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    So, following the math... 80% of Cisco employees will be using Mac in two years.   Up from 60% today.   That is crazy 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 20
    We've known this for years...nothing new. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 20
    macxpress said:
    We've known this for years...nothing new. 
    Other than the data that now powers Cisco's TCO calculator and is publicly available. That's a rather big deal.
    williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 20
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Discover a trick to save money... IT staff hates Apple for this!

FileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 20
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    netrox said:

I don't think that IT hates Apple.  Is just that companies like MS have an ecosystem for business / enterprises that companies like Apple don't offer.  
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    danvm said:
    netrox said:

I don't think that IT hates Apple.  Is just that companies like MS have an ecosystem for business / enterprises that companies like Apple don't offer.  
    IT will if Apple starts offering solutions for small to medium size businesses, but Microsoft is entrenched in that area along with companies like Dell, and HP, at the company I worked for there was always a crisis, every two weeks split half-and-half between users, and the IT department itself for who was at fault.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    danox said:
    danvm said:
    netrox said:

IT will if Apple starts offering solutions for small to medium size businesses, but Microsoft is entrenched in that area along with companies like Dell, and HP, at the company I worked for there was always a crisis, every two weeks split half-and-half between users, and the IT department itself for who was at fault.
    Nearly 2 decades ago the company I then worked for decided to replace our NetWare and MPE/iX servers with Windows.  It was a horrible decision in every way.  Newer and far more powerful hardware ran significantly slower (for the end user), and the cost (both initial and ongoing) was eye watering.  My company had developed many custom programs for the HP mainframe which worked exactly as the management wanted.  The Windows replacement was just generic and no matter how much "customization" was implemented, never performed nearly as well.

The Windows love in the IT world is something I just do not understand.
    danoxFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 20
    "The Windows love in the IT world is something I just do not understand."

It keeps them employed, in the control loop and able to 
    receive new toys to play with they'd otherwise find unaffordable and have to pay for themselves.
    StrangeDaysFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 20
    IBM came to the same TCO conclusion years ago and published a paper on it. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 20
    danvm said:
    netrox said:

Were you not around for the OS wars of the 1990s?

watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 20
    danvm said:
    netrox said:

Back then, one of the other engineers would bring me Dilbert strips which were Mac related.  I had that one hanging in my office for years!
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 20
    danvm said:
    netrox said:

My first workplace had Novell 3.11 and PC's connected with coax cables, so yes, I was around for the 90's OS wars.  I felt old typing this... :#.  IMO, MS has a big advantage in the business / enterprise market over every other company, including Apple, because of their ecosystem, and not because IT hates Apple (at least most of them).  
    edited September 2023 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I believe UPS did the same thing and made the switch. 

If you setup the environment correctly with an MDM such as jamf, Macs are extremely easy to manage in an enterprise environment. With jamf you can literally take a brand new Mac out of the box and if you have the back end of jamf setup for that Mac it will set itself up as soon as it hits the internet and checks in with Apple upon activation. There is no imaging, there's no manually installing most apps, configuring printers, mapping network shares, setting permissions and config profiles, etc. It's all done for you as part of the MDM setup. There's some initial setup with Apple Business Manager and things like that but once you get it setup it works like a charm. 

You don't have this complete package in a Windows enterprise environment. You can get part of the way there if you want to screw around with SCCM and Group Policy but it's so much more of a pain in the ass versus something like jamf. 

I think in today's world a good IT Tech or whatever you want to call (IT Engineer) them should be very open and be fluent in both platforms. It will make you very valuable with in a company. I know it saved my IT position during covid. I lost my entire team during covid and I have to think they kept me because I'm very fluent in both platforms and it's not always easy to find a Mac person who can also support Windows PC's and visa versa. It's typically either one or the other. 
    edited September 2023 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 14 of 20
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    netrox said:

My first workplace had Novell 3.11 and PC's connected with coax cables, so yes, I was around for the 90's OS wars.  I felt old typing this... :#.  IMO, MS has a big advantage in the business / enterprise market over every other company, including Apple, because of their ecosystem, and not because IT hates Apple (at least most of them).  
    When I took over handling IT, we were running IntraNetWare.  What an amazing product NetWare was.  It's a shame it went away.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Yup, I lived through the 90s OS war and Mac purge at my company too. 

Probably a few converging things:

1. MS Office won the office app war by the early 90s. Windows 3.x won the GUI on top of DOS war before that. 

2. They plied that into winning the OS war. OS/2 could only support Win16/Win32c APIs whatever it was. Modern Office? Slow emulation I think. Luckily Macs had Office. Nothing else had Office.  

3. IT departments literally required MS Office, IT departments standardized on PCs because they were “cheap”. Thus the purge began. 

One of the big reasons Apple survived was they got MS to commit to delivering Office for Mac. If not for that, I don’t think iPods would have rescued them. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    macxpress said:
    I believe UPS did the same thing and made the switch. 

If you setup the environment correctly with an MDM such as jamf, Macs are extremely easy to manage in an enterprise environment. With jamf you can literally take a brand new Mac out of the box and if you have the back end of jamf setup for that Mac it will set itself up as soon as it hits the internet and checks in with Apple upon activation. There is no imaging, there's no manually installing most apps, configuring printers, mapping network shares, setting permissions and config profiles, etc. It's all done for you as part of the MDM setup. There's some initial setup with Apple Business Manager and things like that but once you get it setup it works like a charm. 

You don't have this complete package in a Windows enterprise environment. You can get part of the way there if you want to screw around with SCCM and Group Policy but it's so much more of a pain in the ass versus something like jamf. 

I think in today's world a good IT Tech or whatever you want to call (IT Engineer) them should be very open and be fluent in both platforms. It will make you very valuable with in a company. I know it saved my IT position during covid. I lost my entire team during covid and I have to think they kept me because I'm very fluent in both platforms and it's not always easy to find a Mac person who can also support Windows PC's and visa versa. It's typically either one or the other. 
    Maybe you didn't knew, but a couple years ago MS has SCCM as "legacy".  They are moving their management tools to the cloud with Intune and Entra.  What you describe with Jamf can be done with Intune and Entra.  Intune also can manage macOS and iOS devices.

Microsoft Calls SCCM a 'Legacy' Product, Raising Questions About Its Future -- Redmond Channel Partner (rcpmag.com)
    Deployment guide to manage macOS devices in Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Learn

I also agree with you, and good IT person has to be fluent with all platforms in the market.  I work IT for small and medium businesses and have no issues with Windows or macOS.  Both are excellent platforms.

macxpressjony0
  • Reply 17 of 20
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    netrox said:

When I took over handling IT, we were running IntraNetWare.  What an amazing product NetWare was.  It's a shame it went away.
    My last NetWare server was 4.11, and then moved to Windows NT Server.  And I agree with you about NetWare, sad to see them go away.  
    jony0
  • Reply 18 of 20
    danvm said:

Microsoft Calls SCCM a 'Legacy' Product, Raising Questions About Its Future -- Redmond Channel Partner (rcpmag.com)
    Deployment guide to manage macOS devices in Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Learn

I also agree with you, and good IT person has to be fluent with all platforms in the market.  I work IT for small and medium businesses and have no issues with Windows or macOS.  Both are excellent platforms.

Both are excellent platforms?  BOTH?!?!

HERETIC!!!
    Break out the torches and pitchforks!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    tht said:

1. MS Office won the office app war by the early 90s. Windows 3.x won the GUI on top of DOS war before that. 

2. They plied that into winning the OS war. OS/2 could only support Win16/Win32c APIs whatever it was. Modern Office? Slow emulation I think. Luckily Macs had Office. Nothing else had Office.  

3. IT departments literally required MS Office, IT departments standardized on PCs because they were “cheap”. Thus the purge began. 

One of the big reasons Apple survived was they got MS to commit to delivering Office for Mac. If not for that, I don’t think iPods would have rescued them. 
    IMO, MS Office was the piece of the puzzle that made MS what it is today in business and enterprises.  Without it, Windows would not have succeeded by itself.  MS Exchange also played a huge role in this.
    edited September 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    danvm said:
    tht said:

IMO, MS Office was the piece of the puzzle that made MS what it is today in business and enterprises.  Without it, Windows would not have succeeded by itself.  MS Exchange also played a huge role in this.
    Yeah, agree. The proposed MS breakup solutions at the time for the antitrust trials were all the wrong courses of action. If the solution was to make Office file formats standard, open, and public, theoretically, it would have killed the network effect of Office files requiring the latest version of Office, which required Windows, which required ActiveDirectory and whatnot, and let more companies produce compatible office applications running on any number of operating systems.

MS failing to make ActiveX part of the Internet standard essentially opened the market to smartphones, Linux, macOS. ActiveX was basically MS's typical EEE plan. Luckily, security issues destroyed that plan.