How bad a lag in future hardware will you accept?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Furthermore, I s'pose the guy above is more concerned with the write speed of the drive, not the read.

exactly. 8x cdr and 4x cdrw is not up to date for 2000$ and no opportunity to change the internal drive
  • Reply 22 of 30
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It is, however, up-to-date for a DVD burning super-drive.

Still a pain in the ass though, as you may have absotutely no need for DVD burning.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by schrumpl:

<strong>Furthermore, I s'pose the guy above is more concerned with the write speed of the drive, not the read.

exactly. 8x cdr and 4x cdrw is not up to date for 2000$ and no opportunity to change the internal drive</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know, but even a 40x CDROM drive produces lots of heat, so anything faster than what the iMac has would probably pose a problem to cooling. I really tought the new iMac might have a better CDR drive, if it's 8x it's a shame, really. That's what my brother bought for his PC two years ago.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    just as long as the gap is closing slowly i'm happy.

1.25ghz g4 X 2 = 1.5Ghz theoretical

which i'm guessing is actually around 2.1ghz real life

3ghz p4 = 3ghz theoretical

which IS in real life around `500mhz

Mac's don't really lag behind pc's alll that much in terms of other hardware.

Most motherboards from wintel are still at agp 4x when there are only 4 chipsets that even feature it.

Most wintel motherboards don't come with firewire or usb 2. Starting to see early usb2 adoption for periferals but big deal, why does a printer need over 500mbs?

Wintel boxes lack bluetooth built in.

So most of the stuff that people complain about apple not having on their towers are stupid when most wintel computers don't even have them.

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: MicrosoftOsXp ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Well, I sold my several years old Mac clone last Christmas. It just seemed too darn slow compared to the Athlon 1.6 xp I had to buy.

Yet...the dilemma...Apple's towers were so expensive and behind the hardware curve...there was no way I was buying one unless it could last me years (the last tower I bought was when Power tower clones murdered the Pentiums way back...) Problem was...then Apple's were competitive and it cost me £7k to kit me out. It'd be cheaper now...but nobody pays several k for behind the curve performance.

So. My wife...who's a computer phobic, she'd been eyeing an iBook for a year or so. Liked them. I was waiting (still am...) for Apple and it's legendary g5 tower...or simply...a competitive tower and believe me...the 'old' dualies aren't it...

I bought my wife and iBook and its a real cute little machine. I use it sometimes. In fact, since I've got it hooked with an ADSL connection...I haven't been able to stop using it! The Athlon is out in the cold. Merely being used for 3D rendering.

Moral? Buy a Mac for your better half. Use it.

Wait for the 'King'.

My wife is no longer computer phobic.

So. I guess the G4 is the lag I just couldn't accept.

The 600mhz G3 iBook, not mine...but a little cutie that runs Photoshop 4 better than my four year old Mac Clone ever could...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 26 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I think it's a rather naive game we're playing here. Not that I don't understand why the original question was asked - it's a perfectly legitimate concern. However to pick a speed gap and say "beyond this I won't stay Mac" is pretty laughable. Most of us will stay beyond what we claim.

For me I think my point of switching to the dark side would have to encompass more substantial factors than just clock speed on Pro towers. For one thing, I would have to be convinced Apple has no alternative in the immediate future besides Motorola. That is, I would have to read something from IBM that says "we're not developing any chips for Apple's pro lineup".

Second, the performance gap (as opposed to clock speed gap) would basically have to be two fold across the board. That is, everything I do on my Mac (Office tasks, music, GoLive, Photoshop - everything) would have to be twice as slow on my Mac (in terms of minutes and seconds, not imaginary benchmarks) in order for me to give up OS X and everything I like about it.

Third, the price of the machine that runs everything twice as fast as the Mac would have to be the same price or below what pay for that Mac.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    I bought a PC (built it actually) about 3 months ago. Not because I was wasn't buying any more macs (I will buy a new one very soon I think). But I bought it because I needed a couple programs for my web business to run.

I don't feel like a traitor, and I only boot it (the PC) up once a week just to make sure it works. I'm I normal?

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: Not Unlike Myself ]</p>
  • Reply 28 of 30
    tabootaboo Posts: 128member
    [quote]Originally posted by MicrosoftOsXp:

<strong>Most wintel motherboards don't come with firewire or usb 2. Starting to see early usb2 adoption for periferals but big deal, why does a printer need over 500mbs?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I regularly send really big files to my printer (say 64-128meg), but that's what network printers are for. Don't know that I'd trust something that needs my processor to regulate it....or ties up my computer that much for that long...

As for the lag, I'm way behind now....still using a 9600/350. Now that I've seen the current crop, I'll be waiting some more....just with a new Sonnet card. The new machines just aren't compelling enough (well, my TiBook was).

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: taboo ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 30
    I've managed to go by a "factor of ten rule" when it comes to buying new computers. And that applies to everything (processor, memory, and hard drive). So I won't even be in the market until there is something as fast as a 5 ghz G4, with 5 gigs of ram, and a 300 gig hard drive.

That or some kick-ass new feature like HDTV/ replayTV type functions.

Also, if PCs ever get fast enough to emulate a powerPC that will run OS X faster than a mac then Apple's in real trouble.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    [quote] I bought a PC (built it actually) about 3 months ago. Not because I was wasn't buying any more macs (I will buy a new one very soon I think). But I bought it because I needed a couple programs for my web business to run.

I don't feel like a traitor, and I only boot it (the PC) up once a week just to make sure it works. I'm I normal? <hr></blockquote>

Web work virtually requires platform agnosticism. I'm with you all the way. You almost have to have a PC and a Mac.

Stop-gap or not, my work required the purchase of the new 1GB dualie. Barefeats results notwithstanding, I'm hoping this baby will be fast, fast. At work I use an 867 G4 and a 1,8 Ghz Sony VAIO. At home--get this--a sturdy old 180 mhz PowerCenter Pro with 128 MB of RAM, a new Yamaha CD-RW, USB in the PCI slot, etc. Five years and going strong of multimedia work.... I'll be keeping it, too.

------------------------------------

Still Waiting on My New PowerMac in Nashvegas