iPhone 15 Pro Max review: Come for 5x optical zoom, stay for USB-C

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    To the EU, USB-C is all about charging interoperability. However Apple has implemented USB 3.2 Alt on the Pro's USB-C connector. This means not only using external storage at 10Gbps (75 GB/min) but also driving an external 4k display at 60Hz AND simultaneous charging. Your phone can be your new desktop. This is  a big deal. 
    glnfradarthekatAlex1Nmarjorietuck@msn.commarjorietuck@msn.comwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    danox said:
    eightzero said:
    I knew I'd need a USB-A to USB-C cable for CarPlay to work with my new iPhone 15 Pro Max. It took me trying 4x cables to find one that worked. And then the one that works only does so with one particular side up. Pretty odd, and YMMV.
    The standard for USB varies even though it may look the same, but it isn’t. Have fun people the EU (politicians) didn’t think that through. :smiley: 

On a happy note download the Blackmagic Cam app.
    The EU Regulation is about charging only. It basically asks the manufacturer of devices with batteries to provide the possibility to charge it with a standard USB3 Cable. That’s also the case for bicycle lights that can’t transfer data at all. On the other hand Apple could have continued offering the Lightening Port as long as there is the alternative to also use a USB3 port. The MacBooks are a good example. They have the proprietary MagSave connector but you can also use one of the USB3 ports for charging. That’s in line with the EU regulation.
    edited September 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    saarek said:
    saarek said:
    It’s such a shame that Apple left Lightning to effectively die (despite the EU being a big reason for the change). There was nothing stopping them from upgrading Lightning to take faster speeds, etc. I’ll never understand why they did not bother investing money into it.

They fought the EU over the directive, but had they worked to keep Lightning up to date, indeed made it better than USB-C they could have pointed to the advantages as an example of why they should be allowed to keep proprietary ports.

It's cute that you think the advantages or disadvantages of Lightning versus USB-C had anything to do with the EU's decision, other than providing high sounding justification.
    I never claimed that, the writing was on the wall for lightning ever since the iPad Pro’s went USB-C.

Although the EU directive may well have sped the transition on. 

My central point remains though. Had they kept lightning more up to date and even offered some advantages the EU directive would have been much easier to stand against.
    Considering Apple's history with USB-C and the fact that iPhones are planned 3 years in advance, there is no justification that anyone can make to claim that the EU had any impact on Apple's decision or timing with moving to USB-C on iPhone. Apple always planned to move to USB-C. But they wisely waited until USB-C grew up around iPhone and became so common that the move would be welcomed rather than detested by the wider iPhone market. Moving much sooner would have met with anger and consternation amongst the millions who don't know or care what USB-C is, and would simply prefer their existing cable not change.

Standing against the EU directive also has nothing to do with USB-C itself. It has to do with an inept governing body getting involved in something they are incapable of being involved in, and ruining future innovation. The only reason USB-C became as ubiquitous as it is (ubiquitous enough to be the EU's choice) is because companies were free to adopt it, by choice, and prove it out in the market place. How exactly is that supposed to ever happen again? Why would anyone bother making the next great standard when no major manufacturer is free to adopt it onto their devices and start making it popular? The EU is utterly batshit and this law of theirs is a disaster for the future. 
    I expect that this is the last cable standard needed.  Surely in a few short years phones and tablets will go completely wireless. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    charlesn said:
    eightzero said:
    I knew I'd need a USB-A to USB-C cable for CarPlay to work with my new iPhone 15 Pro Max. It took me trying 4x cables to find one that worked. And then the one that works only does so with one particular side up. Pretty odd, and YMMV.
    I bought the Belkin cable with the woven jacket to use for CarPlay. It has worked perfectly every time with connection not dependent on orientation of the usb-c connector. CarPlay also connects more quickly than it did with Lightning. 
    Thanks for the suggestion. I suspect I'll now need better quality cables now. Have a part number, or description of that cable? Is it the one that is offered on the Apple Store online?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    saarek said:
    saarek said:
    It’s such a shame that Apple left Lightning to effectively die (despite the EU being a big reason for the change). There was nothing stopping them from upgrading Lightning to take faster speeds, etc. I’ll never understand why they did not bother investing money into it.

They fought the EU over the directive, but had they worked to keep Lightning up to date, indeed made it better than USB-C they could have pointed to the advantages as an example of why they should be allowed to keep proprietary ports.

It's cute that you think the advantages or disadvantages of Lightning versus USB-C had anything to do with the EU's decision, other than providing high sounding justification.
    I never claimed that, the writing was on the wall for lightning ever since the iPad Pro’s went USB-C.

My central point remains though. Had they kept lightning more up to date and even offered some advantages the EU directive would have been much easier to stand against.
    Considering Apple's history with USB-C and the fact that iPhones are planned 3 years in advance, there is no justification that anyone can make to claim that the EU had any impact on Apple's decision or timing with moving to USB-C on iPhone. Apple always planned to move to USB-C. But they wisely waited until USB-C grew up around iPhone and became so common that the move would be welcomed rather than detested by the wider iPhone market. Moving much sooner would have met with anger and consternation amongst the millions who don't know or care what USB-C is, and would simply prefer their existing cable not change.

Standing against the EU directive also has nothing to do with USB-C itself. It has to do with an inept governing body getting involved in something they are incapable of being involved in, and ruining future innovation. The only reason USB-C became as ubiquitous as it is (ubiquitous enough to be the EU's choice) is because companies were free to adopt it, by choice, and prove it out in the market place. How exactly is that supposed to ever happen again? Why would anyone bother making the next great standard when no major manufacturer is free to adopt it onto their devices and start making it popular? The EU is utterly batshit and this law of theirs is a disaster for the future. 
    I expect that this is the last cable standard needed.  Surely in a few short years phones and tablets will go completely wireless. 
    I'll still need a dongle for wireless CarPlay in a car I expect to have for a very long time. And stop calling me Shirley. :-D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    saarek said:
    saarek said:

Absolutely not a chance.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,068member
    eightzero said:
    charlesn said:
    eightzero said:
    I bought the Belkin cable with the woven jacket to use for CarPlay. It has worked perfectly every time with connection not dependent on orientation of the usb-c connector. CarPlay also connects more quickly than it did with Lightning. 
    Thanks for the suggestion. I suspect I'll now need better quality cables now. Have a part number, or description of that cable? Is it the one that is offered on the Apple Store online?
    Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08558B183/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    eightzerowatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 28
    charlesn said:
    eightzero said:
    charlesn said:
    eightzero said:
    Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08558B183/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    cool, thx.
    watto_cobra