Epic takes its 'Fortnite' fight with Apple to the Supreme Court

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,283member
    Marvin said:

But the problem is including Apple and Google on the graph and implying they are 'game companies'. Most of those companies run stores for 3rd party game developers and make a significant amount of revenue that way too just like Epic does (they only really make 3 games - Unreal Tournament, Gears of War, Fortnite). His beef is that companies who don't make games shouldn't take a cut from companies who sell games through their store, which is a dumb point of view. GameStop, WalMart, Amazon sold games for years without making games and no legal challenge from Sweeney.

The real elephant in the room, as is clear from the chart, is Tencent, which is the largest outside investor in Epic. They are the ones who want to take Apple and Google's revenue. The instant that Apple is forced to allow 3rd party stores in China, Tencent will find a way to become the dominant store there, like they have with Google and it will cost Apple $10b+.
    Which is another reason why Apple may not be able to sit on the sidelines. Apple as usual will have to be more involved, Apple isn’t quite there yet on the desktop when it comes to GPU’s, maybe by the M4, looking at that chart once again, they can’t leave it up to chance (third parties).

Also, Apple can roll up their sleeves and get busy or like half of the companies on that list they can cry to the government for help, I think Apple will stay true to type and roll up their sleeves.
    edited September 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,452member
    danox said:
    nizzard said:
    I'll be happy with Epic finally goes out of business. 
    I wouldn't be. Unreal Engine is pretty essential.
    Which is why Apple can’t sit on the sidelines when it comes to game engines, the evolution of what Unreal Engine has become, can’t be ignored by Apple any longer, it’s too important going into their computing future and I don’t think dependence on a third party company is going to work long-term.

The recent flake out of Unity also adds to the fire now that Apple is starting to add Ray Tracing cores to their hardware, and into future to even smaller devices, they need more control the 15 pro with its A17 processor (heat), and what’s coming up with the Apple Vision Pro, the tolerances, wattage/heat/battery are just too important. if programs like Instagram are causing trouble what do you think gonna happen with a game engine? I’m sure Apple is talking about it, with Epic/Unity in their face in recent times.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US.  Just take a look around. It’s too important…. In the future.
    In what way is Apple dependent on Unreal Engine?

What "flake out of Unity"?

Not sure what you mean by Instagram causing trouble or what that has anything to do with game engines. Developers actively work to optimize their software for new hardware, often in tandem with Apple. This is no different for Unity and Epic.

Not sure what you're talking about, once again.
    Instagram is purportedly one of the key offenders of iPhones running hot (this forum comment).
    Unity has recently backed down from a proposed licensing fee change that really annoyed their developers. There's another AI article covering why it's a problem for Apple.
    First one has nothing to do with anything regarding Unreal Engine or Apple, it's just a software bug unrelated to the subject at hand.

Unity licensing also doesn't "add to the fire" — not sure what fire this person is talking about other than this random pile of unrelated things is some sort of impetus for Apple to create their own game engine for some reason.
    edited October 2023
  • Reply 23 of 24
    danox said:
    danox said:
    nizzard said:
    I'll be happy with Epic finally goes out of business. 
    I wouldn't be. Unreal Engine is pretty essential.
    Which is why Apple can’t sit on the sidelines when it comes to game engines, the evolution of what Unreal Engine has become, can’t be ignored by Apple any longer, it’s too important going into their computing future and I don’t think dependence on a third party company is going to work long-term.

The recent flake out of Unity also adds to the fire now that Apple is starting to add Ray Tracing cores to their hardware, and into future to even smaller devices, they need more control the 15 pro with its A17 processor (heat), and what’s coming up with the Apple Vision Pro, the tolerances, wattage/heat/battery are just too important. if programs like Instagram are causing trouble what do you think gonna happen with a game engine? I’m sure Apple is talking about it, with Epic/Unity in their face in recent times.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US.  Just take a look around. It’s too important…. In the future.
    In what way is Apple dependent on Unreal Engine?

What "flake out of Unity"?

Not sure what you mean by Instagram causing trouble or what that has anything to do with game engines. Developers actively work to optimize their software for new hardware, often in tandem with Apple. This is no different for Unity and Epic.

Not sure what you're talking about, once again.

You don’t want to and seemingly you can’t keep up with recent developments. Once again it’s too important. If I a social media program can cause a heat problem. What do you think about a game using a third-party gaming engine? The immaturity of Sweeney Todd and the Unity meltdown says it all, and it won’t get any better with any other third-party gaming engine company. Apple may have to do something not because they want to but because they have to.

Also it isn’t like the AAA game companies are jumping to support Apple ecosystems anyway, and if they are as flaky as Unreal Engine and Unity, Apple definitely isn’t gonna pay any of them to do anything, that’s probably what they’re hoping for. They’re hoping Apple will pay them sight unseen upfront, ray tracing is already in the A17 and is coming to the M3 Apple Silicon, whether they participate or not.
    I'm very aware of recent developments. The Instagram thing is a bug. The overheating thing is a bug Apple has said will be fixed. 

Why would game companies be expecting to get paid by Apple? Unity has a partnership with Apple regarding visionOS, but that's unrelated. Many, many game companies publish games on Apple's platforms using both Unreal and Unity to publish to their platforms. There's no reason for Epic or Unity to drop support for Apple's platforms, all that does is reduce their income and the benefits to the developers to use their development platforms. I'm really not sure what you're talking about here.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    danox said:
    Marvin said:

But the problem is including Apple and Google on the graph and implying they are 'game companies'. Most of those companies run stores for 3rd party game developers and make a significant amount of revenue that way too just like Epic does (they only really make 3 games - Unreal Tournament, Gears of War, Fortnite). His beef is that companies who don't make games shouldn't take a cut from companies who sell games through their store, which is a dumb point of view. GameStop, WalMart, Amazon sold games for years without making games and no legal challenge from Sweeney.

The real elephant in the room, as is clear from the chart, is Tencent, which is the largest outside investor in Epic. They are the ones who want to take Apple and Google's revenue. The instant that Apple is forced to allow 3rd party stores in China, Tencent will find a way to become the dominant store there, like they have with Google and it will cost Apple $10b+.
    Which is another reason why Apple may not be able to sit on the sidelines. Apple as usual will have to be more involved, Apple isn’t quite there yet on the desktop when it comes to GPU’s, maybe by the M4, looking at that chart once again, they can’t leave it up to chance (third parties).

Also, Apple can roll up their sleeves and get busy or like half of the companies on that list they can cry to the government for help, I think Apple will stay true to type and roll up their sleeves.
    What do GPUs have anything to do with any of this? Raytracing cores just mean better results from those game engines. Apple doesn't need to develop their own. And again, who would use it, presuming the inability to target any other platform besides Apple's with it? Doesn't make any sense.
    muthuk_vanalingam