iPhone 15 Pro review: Best balance of performance to price yet in an iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,067member
    M68000 said:
    Does anybody think the yearly cadence of new phones is too fast?  Have we reached a point where it seems things are not properly tested.  Like the “Finewoven” cases and the ability to transfer old iphone to new one, without stuck new phone. Let’s not mention the overheating issues in the pro models.   These are all things that should be tested in a QA environment over a period of time and not rushed.  Tim Cook,  any thoughts?  I also just heard there are carplay issues unless you are lucky enough to have latest car that has usb-c and not have to use usb-a to usb-c cable.  Was carplay not tested? The yearly release of new phones is really about “wall street” right?  As a publicly traded company Apple has to answer to “wall street”.  The tail is wagging the dog as the saying goes. My point is that technology should not be rushed. 
    Yes and no. In the real world of how advanced current smartphones have become, do we need a new model every year? Do the advancements each year still justify it? No and no. But also part of the real world: Apple and its competitors are in the business of selling you as much stuff as frequently as possible. No shade intended, that's just the goal of a publicly owned, for-profit, consumer goods company in a capitalist society. And no single word has ever proven more powerful in the world of selling than "New." So, once a year with much fanfare, we get a new phone, just as carmakers roll out new models every year, most of them barely changed from the models that preceded them. And when all competing companies are releasing new models annually, they create a self-perpetuating need to keep doing it. 

Are we seeing more problems because the tech is getting rushed? I don't think so. There are always some issues to be expected, especially when the design of something gets revised as the iPhone Pro models were this year. And it's always hard to separate the anecdotal issues reported that may be user error from what's actually a problem with the product. You mention CarPlay issues... I have a 2020 Mazda, so I'm now using a USB-A to USB-C cable from Belkin and CarPlay has worked flawlessly with it. On the other hand, I noticed that my battery life seemed worse on the 15 Pro than my 14 Pro. But rather than race to AI or another Mac site to scream about worse battery life on the 15 Pro, I checked my battery app and saw that my sleep tracking app was eating 40% of my power usage. So clearly there's an issue with that app and iOS 17, since this was never the case before. 
    thtwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 22
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    M68000 said:
    Does anybody think the yearly cadence of new phones is too fast?  Have we reached a point where it seems things are not properly tested.  Like the “Finewoven” cases and the ability to transfer old iphone to new one, without stuck new phone. Let’s not mention the overheating issues in the pro models.   These are all things that should be tested in a QA environment over a period of time and not rushed.  Tim Cook,  any thoughts?  I also just heard there are carplay issues unless you are lucky enough to have latest car that has usb-c and not have to use usb-a to usb-c cable.  Was carplay not tested? The yearly release of new phones is really about “wall street” right?  As a publicly traded company Apple has to answer to “wall street”.  The tail is wagging the dog as the saying goes. My point is that technology should not be rushed. 
    Yes, obviously.

Releasing a new model every year is, at this point, just silly.  We'd all be better off if Apple went to a 3+ year release cycle.