Apple Wallet's Connected Accounts may come to the US

Posted:
in iOS

The Apple Wallet Connected Cards feature, included in the iOS 17.1 beta for UK-based users, may become available elsewhere, with references indicating it will also become available in the United States at some point.

A UK debit card added to Apple Wallet
A UK debit card added to Apple Wallet

The first beta of iOS 17.1 introduced a new feature to Apple Wallet, but only in the United Kingdom. Connected Cards allows users to see the balance of debit cards from major banks added to the Wallet.

Though limited only to banks in the UK, it seems that this is only an initial start for the feature, and U.S. users could gain access to it in the future.

Text in the terms and conditions spotted by software researcher @aaronp613 on X mentions that UK users must permit Apple to consolidate account information and to provide it to the user. As part of the statement, Apple is represented by "Apple Payments Services Ltd (UK) or Apple Processing LLC (US)."

Using the reference, MacRumors then discovered a legal document on Apple's website that goes further in the clarification. The document clearly states "If you are in the United States, Connected Cards is provided by Apple Processing LLC," and that the UK version is provided by "Apple Payment Services Ltd."

It may be a challenge for Apple to bring Connected Cards to the Unite States, compared to the United Kingdom. The UK's version relies on the Open Banking API, which is adopted by all major banks.

Meanwhile, in the United States, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is still working to introduce open banking rules that would allow for a freeing of data transfers, with formal proposals potentially finalized by 2024.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Is this something we even want?  I'm not at all sure I'd be comfortable with that.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 9
    When you look at data, the data holder is looking at you.
    darkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    darkvader said:
    Is this something we even want?  I'm not at all sure I'd be comfortable with that.
    Hey their captain uninformed. It’s opt in, no need to get worked yon over a feature you do t have to use. 
    seanjtorb9hsgordonmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    This proposed feature for other cards sounds like what we can do right now with the Apple Credit Card, seeing balance, transactions, etc., etc.
    sgordonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Hey their captain uninformed. It’s opt in, no need to get worked yon over a feature you do t have to use. 
    *there

sgordondarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Very happy to see this, and as a dual citizen I have both uk and Usa accounts so was very happy to see it working for me already with my uk Hsbc account :-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    *there

Ohh you got me. I made a grammatical error. The funky horror of it all!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    *there

Ohh you got me. I made a grammatical error. The funky horror of it all!!
    Learn the language and maybe people will take you seriously.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I don’t know the details but there have long been intercommunication protocols and APIs in the US for this sort of thing.   My credit unions already let me link external accounts to their online offering so I can get the balances etc of my accounts at other non related credit unions and banks when I log into my main one.  

Don’t know how it works or how reliable it is but this sort of base functionality already exists. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra