Apple considers $2B Apple TV+ streaming rights grab for Formula 1

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,818member
    M68000 said:
    F1 is available now as it’s own streaming service.  I’ve considered getting it. So this “deal” could mean that eventually the only place to get F1 would be on Apple ??    Not sure i like that. 
    Why not? The things Apple could do with this would be great. Gotta be better than ESPN, or Sky. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    M68000M68000 Posts: 752member
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    F1 is available now as it’s own streaming service.  I’ve considered getting it. So this “deal” could mean that eventually the only place to get F1 would be on Apple ??    Not sure i like that. 
    Why not? The things Apple could do with this would be great. Gotta be better than ESPN, or Sky. 
    “Gotta be better than ESPN or Sky” - who have been in tv broadcasting way longer than Apple.  I did not know Apple was so great at this. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 23 of 27
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 138member
    williamh said:
    I don’t think F1 racing is carbon neutral and that’s something Apple cares about.  Maybe Apple ought to push or pay to start an e-racing league.  
    There is e-racing: Formula E. It's not nearly as popular as F1. I also think that F1 will become closer to carbon neutral (running the cars, not making them) if they move to biofuel / eFuel, such as what Porsche is starting to produce at scale.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    williamh said:
    I don’t think F1 racing is carbon neutral and that’s something Apple cares about.  Maybe Apple ought to push or pay to start an e-racing league.  
    You mean like Formula-E?

F1 has a goal to be carbon neutral by 2030, but they've still got a way to go.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    Sky's coverage is great. I find it jarring to watch an event that has a different commentary and support team (e.g. the Australian Grand Prix where the local broadcast from Channel Ten covers the entire weekend but keeps jumping out to unrelated topics and "tie-ins" that I do not care about).

Currently the video is captured by Formula1 and provided to the broadcasters/streamers for the live commentary (lap/sector times are also provided by F1). There is a limited ability to choose the video source you want and the timing information, but you can watch the race from the car of a given driver and there's now some pretty awesome footage from the helmet cameras.

IMHO, there's no other sport than motorsport that would be a better fit for the AVP - giving you the ability to perceive the action from the driver's viewpoint at whatever time you choose is a great feature. F1, F2, F3, F-E, WRC, Indy, tin-tops on various tracks... maybe even the "flying car" racing that Netflix has a documentary series about.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27
    FlappoFlappo Posts: 23unconfirmed, member
    Does it really fit in with their sustainability agenda - cars that do 2 mpg ?