Code sleuth discovers reference to Apple Pencil charging via USB-C

Posted:
in iPad

Apple could be preparing for an Apple Pencil 3 with USB-C, but it is difficult to determine exactly what a code reference is suggesting in iOS 17.1 beta 2.

A USB-C Apple Pencil could be on the way
A USB-C Apple Pencil could be on the way

The 10.9-inch iPad was released with a USB-C port and convoluted support for the first-generation Apple Pencil. Rumors began pointing to a new Apple Pencil model solving the awkward charging situation and have begun to solidify.

Code discovered by Steve Moser of MacRumors suggests Apple could be working on an Apple Pencil 3 with USB-C. However, the code could also be a shorthand reference to the existing Lightning-based Pencil with USB-C dongle.

Apple ran into a design conundrum with the 10.9-inch iPad that wouldn't allow it to support the magnetic second-generation Apple Pencil, so it relied on dongles. Those who own the 10.9-inch iPad and want to use an Apple Pencil need a charging dongle built specifically for adapting the Lightning-based Apple Pencil to the USB-C port.

It seems Apple may have a solution for that by eliminating the dongle entirely, if the Apple Pencil 3 can charge via USB-C.

iOS 17.1 Beta 2 (21B5056e) changes:

- Double Tap support added to watchOS 10.1 Beta 2 for Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2
- New Standby settings

Apple Pencil 3?

Also, code in beta 2 suggests that Apple might be planning an Apple Pencil 3 with USB-C charging support. The Apple pic.twitter.com/3eeZuW9Zoq

— Steve Moser (@SteveMoser)

A separate rumor suggests Apple Pencil 3 could have interchangeable magnetic tips. Very few verifiable sources have discussed a new Apple Pencil, so it may still be early days for the product's development.

Since the code appeared in iOS 17.1 beta 2, it may just be a reference to existing hardware rather than a fumble from Apple. If a new Apple Pencil is incoming, it will likely be announced alongside new iPads, which likely won't arrive until spring 2024.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    If you'd told me in 1970, when I was in drafting class at the Illinois Institute of Technology, that my #3 Ticonderoga pencil would one day need batteries to operate, I'd have laughed in your face! Of course, a 4 function HP calculator was $115, and my scientific calculator was a Pickett N4 slide rule. sigh…
    FileMakerFellerAlex1Nmattinozbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,323member
    mayfly said:
    If you'd told me in 1970, when I was in drafting class at the Illinois Institute of Technology, that my #3 Ticonderoga pencil would one day need batteries to operate, I'd have laughed in your face! Of course, a 4 function HP calculator was $115, and my scientific calculator was a Pickett N4 slide rule. sigh…
    They should put little mechanical batteries in the pencil recharge with a few shakes like a pen that is running dry. 
    mayflyAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    If true, I hope it will still charge magnetically. But that charging area is what’s preventing a horizontal FaceTime camera module. So I hope they figure this out. I don’t want to have to stick the end into the USB C port.
    edited October 2023 Alex1Nwatto_cobra