Apple releases iOS 17.0.3 & iPadOS 17.0.3 with overheating fixes

Posted:
in iOS

Apple has released updates for iOS 17.0.3 and iPadOS 17.0.3, with a key feature of the releases being fixes for an iPhone 15 overheating problem.

iPhone 15 Pro
iPhone 15 Pro

Apple's point releases of operating systems usually include bug fixes and critical security updates that can't wait for the next full release. Unusually for a point release, we know what it's fixing.

Apple confirmed on September 30 that an update was on the way for iOS 17, following reports of iPhone 15 handsets overheating. While blaming third-party apps like Instagram for some of the trouble, Apple also admitted to finding a bug in iOS 17 and that it would be addressed in a future software update.

The release of iOS 17.0.3 and iPadOS 17.0.3 follows after iOS 17.0.2 and iPadOS 17.0.2 from September 26.

The new releases have build number 21A360, replacing the 17.0.2 builds, number 21A351.

Anyone running iOS 17 or iPadOS 17 on the affected devices are encouraged to update as soon as is reasonable. Performing a backup before updates is highly recommended.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Can anyone confirm whether 17.0.3 fixes the problem with BMW wireless charging frying the NFC chip in the iPhone 15 pro's?
    darkvaderwilliamlondonjamnapwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    Can anyone confirm whether 17.0.3 fixes the problem with BMW wireless charging frying the NFC chip in the iPhone 15 pro's?
    Have not heard about this but just heard a new one today about audio issues,  i think only on the base 15 and 15 plus, not sure.  Many iphones ago there was some audio issue fixed by ios update.  
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I wonder if this bug is also responsible for the sudden increase in power consumption (battery drain) noticed across various iPhone models since updating to iOS 17. Sure would be nice.
    darkvaderwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Is the WiFi and Cell bars disappearing when you are not in an App something anyone else is seeing.  The second I open an App the bars come back.
    darkvaderwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    No
    No
    No
    No
    Try Apple Support….
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Remember when I said "This is on Apple" and people here were like "nO iTs Teh aPP dEvelOPers!"?

This was on Apple.
    williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 7 of 23
    darkvader said:
    Remember when I said "This is on Apple" and people here were like "nO iTs Teh aPP dEvelOPers!"?

This was on Apple.

Wrong. It was both.
    dewmechasmStrangeDayswilliamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    I've never experienced a more bug-riddled update than iOS 17, and I'm pretty sure I've been through them all. I have had nothing but trouble with Siri, contacts, and watch-face complications. I would like to see an option of being able to roll back to a previous iOS but alas it isn't possible. Is it unusual to get three supplementary updates so quickly after the 17.0?
    edited October 2023 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 23
    installed update.

iPhone 14 pro max I own is still overheating, when no apps are running (except in background I suppose)  Phone gets hot in my pocket since  OS 17.

My friends 15 pro max was never overheating!  Weird.

My problem is NOT FIXED.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    installed update.

iPhone 14 pro max I own is still overheating, when no apps are running (except in background I suppose)  Phone gets hot in my pocket since  OS 17.
    Have you considered turning off all app backgrounding and see if that makes a difference, then adding backgrounding that you actually need (like Maps) back on one at a time to see what happens?

Did you update Instagram (if you use it) when they patched THEIR part of this issue a few days ago?

If you’re still having the issue after testing as described above, get the Apple Support app and contact Apple through it.
    Anilu_777Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    I wonder if this bug is also responsible for the sudden increase in power consumption (battery drain) noticed across various iPhone models since updating to iOS 17. Sure would be nice.
    That’s energy conservation theory. 
    battery drain = heat generated 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Are there any apps logging iphone temperature and presenting them in line / bar charts?
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    That’s energy conservation theory. 
    battery drain = heat generated 
    That was exactly my point. But after the iOS 17 update, there are many more reports of battery drain, across many more iPhone models, than there are reports of overheating devices.

Apple has focused only on the latter because here we are talking about the “perceived” overheating. A slow, continuous but excessive power drain would most likely not be noticed as overheating by the user.
    edited October 2023 williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    The WiFi and cell network bars missing was resolved with a hard reboot.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Is the WiFi and Cell bars disappearing when you are not in an App something anyone else is seeing.  The second I open an App the bars come back.

This self corrected for me after about a day after the initial 17.0 update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    jcbigears said:
    I've never experienced a more bug-riddled update than iOS 17, and I'm pretty sure I've been through them all. I have had nothing but trouble with Siri, contacts, and watch-face complications. I would like to see an option of being able to roll back to a previous iOS but alas it isn't possible. Is it unusual to get three supplementary updates so quickly after the 17.0?
    Great question.

I'd say that in the past it would be unusual to see so many updates rolled out so quickly because doing releases used to be a lot more work and more costly. They probably would have waited a little longer and accumulated more bug fixes before releasing a bigger update. Today, a lot of software development organizations follow a continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD or simply CD) model which, in theory, means that every build or every daily build is in a releasable state. In other words, if they had to ship the daily build, it would be good to go and fully tested. That's the goal, but I'm not sure Apple or very many software development organizations hit that goal perfectly. Getting closer to the goal still represents a significant improvement.

For CD to work software development organizations have to use a lot more automation, especially around regression testing, but in all aspects of their process from compilation, understanding dependencies impacted by code changes, code signing, integration, version control, change management, installation packaging, etc. There are usually still some processes that require manual testing and verification, but anything that can be reliably and predictably automated without sacrificing the fidelity of the entire software system or introducing variation helps speed up the process is fair game for automation. 

So the simple answer is: because they've made the whole update process easier, faster, and less risky they can release far more often without sacrificing quality. While we are annoyed by the frequency of these updates, we are now exposed to the negative side effects of bugs for much shorter periods of time. In a world of zero day security exploits, this model has become a necessity for survival. This is why Apple has spent a great deal of effort on refining their CD process to the point where they can support their Rapid Security Response (RSR) update model. So far, so good. But like everything software related, it's still not perfect. Perhaps AI will help move us closer to perfect. 
    edited October 2023 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    darkvader said:

This was on Apple.
    What’s it like to be wrong so consistently? 
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Yes, I have seen this several times (iPhone 15Pro), exactly as you describe. Too soon to know it it's been fixed.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    dewme said:
    Today, a lot of software development organizations follow a continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD or simply CD) model which, in theory, means that every build or every daily build is in a releasable state. In other words, if they had to ship the daily build, it would be good to go and fully tested. That's the goal, but I'm not sure Apple or very many software development organizations hit that goal perfectly. Getting closer to the goal still represents a significant improvement.
    It can also have the opposite effect if new requirements/features continue to be drip-fed into the proposed release. That means there is a continuous supply of new, hence immature and buggy, components.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 20 of 23
    looplessloopless Posts: 330member
    If you think your phone is "overheating" just go the battery monitor in settings and see what  app is using battery. The ONLY way a phone can "overheat" is if an app is converting "energy" into "heat" ? Your phone doesn't magically make heat out of nothing as apparently some people think.

thtwatto_cobra