USB 2.0 Controller

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Light sensitive keyboard.... dunno about that wouldn't that be hilarious. God that feature on the 12" will kick my ass!

My '2' key cap fell off, and I can reveal that i) the membrane is translucent and ii) the keys' markings are also translucent iii) there is a smalls hole below the membrane and iv) if a keyboard replacement is necessary I'll be asking for a light up one, just in case. No way do I have the guts to do it myself.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Only question is where would the light sensors go. My guess is the bezel around the LCD. Or if they're too thick then maybe behind the keyboard but there is very little space back there, so little they had to move the speakers.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

iBooks should have monitor spanning enabled. I have no doubt that all the recent Mac's (PB 17, PB 12, MDD PMacs) Have USB 2.0 because they use a chip for it just like everyone else.

Unlikely. The new desktop G4s, unlike previous models and unlike all the other new machines, actually have an additional, separate USB controller. When I first read the tech docs, I was kinda puzzled why they would do that and leave KeyLargo's 2 built-in USB ports completely unused (they are not even connected), but if the external chip really supports USB2, it makes good sense.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 24 of 26
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    Quote:

Originally posted by robster

I would not be at all suprised to find the mb for the 12" supported:

USB 2.0

FireWire 800

DVI output

Light sensitive keyboard.

USB2 is unlikely (see my other post).

FW800 is supported by the controller chip, but the PB12 has no 800-capable PHY (just like the original XServe and the older DDR desktops).

DVI output is certainly supported by the graphics card, I guess it was omitted for space / PCB layout reasons.

Illuminated keys would probably take up too much space too, but that's just a guess.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 25 of 26
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OK it supported FW800 but doesn't have it. HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE. Same with DVI. Space my eye they could've had left ports too but Apple has to be cool and have aesthetics first. Did the designers eat a huge bowl of stupid for breakfast the day they designed the PB12"?
  • Reply 26 of 26
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Parts cost money, you know. There's a reason why the 12" PB is the cheapest PB. I'm sure there's a market for a $3,000 12" PB, but I guess Apple didn't think it was very large.