Vintage Apple gear auction includes 8GB original iPhone still in shipping box

Posted:
in General Discussion

The ongoing LCG Fall Premier Auction features four first-generation iPhones, including one that is still sealed in its original shipping box.

Image Credit: LCG Auctions
Image Credit: LCG Auctions

Baton Rouge-based LCG Auctions is kicking off its Fall Premier Auction on Friday, with over 240 lots going up for sale from October 13 through October 29.

While the auction boasts a truly impressive amount of vintage pop-culture collectibles, it also features eight pieces of collectible Apple gear.

The Apple devices listed in the auction include:

• 2007 4GB iPhone, with original Apple Store receipt

• 2007 8GB iPhone, still sealed in the Apple/FedEx shipping box

• Factory sealed first-generation 5GB Apple iPod

• 2007 8GB iPhone with iTunes

• Factory sealed 2008 16GB iPhone with original shipping box

• Factory sealed 2008 iPhone 3G

• Factory sealed 2009 iPhone 3GS

Also included in the auction is a 2020 Apple 20-Year Employee award, which is crafted out of the same recycled aluminum that goes into the Mac Mini and MacBook Air. The item comes in its original packaging and includes a card from Apple CEO Tim Cook.

Last year, LCG Auctions sold an original iPhone that was still factory sealed for nearly $40,000.

In February, LCG Auctions sold a factory-sealed first-gen iPhone for $63,356.40, exceeding its expected sale price of $50,000.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,128member
    "Our consignor has instructed us to carefully open the box.  We will open the package and remove the phone for the very first time.  The iPhone is presumed to be factory sealed and in pristine condition.  Photos and/or video footage will be added in the coming days."

So, not sealed when you buy it. heh

Also, there's some cool old toys in that auction! *(OK, and there's also a $25 VHS copy of Coneheads!)
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,214member
    Schrödinger’s iPhone.
    Anilu_777roundaboutnowsunman42watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,381member
    The scary thing about very old iPhone is the battery condition.  We in the vintage Mac community know very well how old Maxell lithiums have destroyed one too many Mac motherboards.  So seeing how this old iPhone has fared through the years will be interesting, assuming the new owner decides to open it.  A battery is a bag of chemicals just waiting to spray its guts all over the place. Unlike a vintage wine, when you open a boxed iPhone a hundred years hence, it will reveal little more than a mess inside.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jdw said:
    The scary thing about very old iPhone is the battery condition.  We in the vintage Mac community know very well how old Maxell lithiums have destroyed one too many Mac motherboards.  So seeing how this old iPhone has fared through the years will be interesting, assuming the new owner decides to open it.  A battery is a bag of chemicals just waiting to spray its guts all over the place. Unlike a vintage wine, when you open a boxed iPhone a hundred years hence, it will reveal little more than a mess inside.
    Unfortunately it is the same with wine. At 16 years, the age of the original iPhone, no matter how well sterilised the bottle and cork was, and no matter what the pretentious wine folk say, a wine is well past its best. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Over the years I've wondered about selling my vintage stuff: I have two TAMs; one sealed in the box and the other was my own machine, repackaged in the original box with everything intact and the addition of a few goodies like a G4 card, the "fat back" and an ethernet card. I also have a Macintosh TV with the nice black adb keyboard and mouse...but I hate the idea of an auction house taking a huge cut AND they always want to open the sealed unit which I think detracts from the value. Anyone want a sealed TAM? :) 
    (BTW, long time lurker finally pushed to join up and write - hi to all!)

edited October 2023