Apple TV+ cancels 'The Afterparty' after two seasons

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

The party's over for "The Afterparty," as the comedy murder mystery has been cancelled by Apple TV+ after two seasons.

The Afterparty [Apple TV+]
The Afterparty [Apple TV+]

The Tiffany Haddish, Sam Richardson, and Zoe Charo comedy "The Afterparty" is no more, after Apple TV+ declined to go to a third season of the show. The second season finished its run on September 6.

No official reason for the cancellation has been offered by either the production or Apple itself. According to sources of Deadline, a post-strike reevaluation of content played a role in the cancellation.

The first season of the show, created by Chris Miller with Phil Lord also executive-producing, departed from the usual path of murder mystery shows, by using each episode to delve into one part attendant's experience. Each episode was also filmed in different ways, using the language of film genres to differentiate between the retelling by each suspect.

Though the first season was considered a success due to its novel nature, the second had a much quieter reception for the summer.

Despite ending its run on Apple TV+, Sony Pictures Television is said to be planning to bring the show to other platforms.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Honestly, the first season was absolutely awesome. The second one though, I feel like not having Yasper really brought down the appeal of the show. I wish they could have brought him back. 

I’ve watched a few episodes of the new one but I just don’t feel like it has the same magic as season 1. 
    ramanpfaffbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    XedXed Posts: 2,622member
    I enjoyed both seasons and fully expected a cancelation. It's not something you easily keep rehashing. If I have one question is why hadn't anyone thought to do a Rashomon-style narrative for a murder mystery a long time ago?

Each episode was also filmed in different ways, using the language of film genres to differentiate between the retelling by each suspect.
    That wasn't until season two, where they mimiic different directors filming styles.

At least I have the next Agatha Christie murder mystery directed by Branagh to look forward to when it hits streaming.
    ronnwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ronnronn Posts: 664member
    I actually like Season 2 better than the first. Not entirely surprised with the cancellation. The concept would be hard to replicate for a third season. Not to mention the strikes by the writers and actors (ongoing) probably made continuation too difficult.
    watto_cobratdknox
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Xed said:
    I enjoyed both seasons and fully expected a cancelation. It's not something you easily keep rehashing. If I have one question is why hadn't anyone thought to do a Rashomon-style narrative for a murder mystery a long time ago?

Each episode was also filmed in different ways, using the language of film genres to differentiate between the retelling by each suspect.
    That wasn't until season two, where they mimiic different directors filming styles.

At least I have the next Agatha Christie murder mystery directed by Branagh to look forward to when it hits streaming.
    The article probably didn’t phrase it in the best way, but both seasons did each episode in a different genre or sub-genere. For example: Action, Mystery, Animation, etc. The last episode of season 2 did Soap Opera which would be more TV than movie genre.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,301member
    Xed said:

Not true at all. First season was also filmed with each episode recreating a different film genre. 
    byronlwatto_cobratdknox
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Xed said:

The article probably didn’t phrase it in the best way, but both seasons did each episode in a different genre or sub-genere. For example: Action, Mystery, Animation, etc. The last episode of season 2 did Soap Opera which would be more TV than movie genre.
    mike1 said:
    Xed said:

Not true at all. First season was also filmed with each episode recreating a different film genre. 
    I don't recall that at all. I guess I'll have to rewatch it to see what genre or style each episode mimicked in the first season.

edit: I checked. I see no genre theme per episode in S01, just the unique POV of the character being interviewed, like in the classic Rashoman.
    edited October 2023 watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,769member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:

mike1 said:
    Xed said:

I don't recall that at all. I guess I'll have to rewatch it to see what genre or style each episode mimicked in the first season.

edit: I checked. I see no genre theme per episode in S01, just the unique POV of the character being interviewed, like in the classic Rashoman.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/the-afterparty-apple-tv-genres/

This page lists each episode from the first season and each of the film genres they mimic. 

You’re definitely correct about Rashomon, but the others are also correct about the film genres. 
    edited October 2023 byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,769member
    Honestly, the first season was absolutely awesome. The second one though, I feel like not having Yasper really brought down the appeal of the show. I wish they could have brought him back. 

I’ve watched a few episodes of the new one but I just don’t feel like it has the same magic as season 1. 
    Yup. Ben Schwartz was definitely missed in season 2. I forced myself to watch every episode and the magic never arrived. RIP

I love how ruthless Apple is being with all these middling shows. 
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Watched the first episode. Meh.

This Tiffany Haddish crud getting flushed is, to quote Tiffany Haddish, "The most beautiful thing I have ever seen."

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/tiffany-haddish-defends-will-smith-slapping-chris-rock-1235216831/

When I saw a AppleTV+ stand up for quality programming. That meant so much to me.
    byronl
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Japhey said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:

mike1 said:
    Xed said:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/the-afterparty-apple-tv-genres/

This page lists each episode from the first season and each of the film genres they mimic. 

You’re definitely correct about Rashomon, but the others are also correct about the film genres. 
    I see that there. Wikipedia also details the different "genres" for each episode. I'm guessing I don't recall since it was more subtle in the first season since it wasn't such a radical change in cinematography which goes well beyond getting a story from another character's POV. S)2 is more like getting the story from a different director's POV.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    petripetri Posts: 121member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:

mike1 said:
    Xed said:

You’re super wrong, it was obvious from episode one of the first season that they were mimicking different genres (the first suspect is very art house from memory), season two was just more of the same.

I enjoyed both seasons and thought it was a great show - but not at all surprised it’s finished, season two came to a completely natural end for all the main characters and it would have been stretching credibility a bit too far to have the same couple involved by chance in yet another murder at yet another after party.
    watto_cobrablastdoor
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I wanted to like it. I love Sam Richardson always. Enjoyed parts.

But it's no Only Murders in the Building.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Appleish said:

True, but that’s why I liked Afterparty. Martin and Short are soooooooo annoying and overrated and flat-out unfunny that they obscure any charms the rest of the show and cast may have. My household likes the show — I have to leave the room, because Martin’s and Short’s performances are like open-mouth chewing. I just want to punch them.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,345member
    I loved both seasons.I wish they could have figured out how to do a third. 
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 16
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,144member
    It's one of those things where I really enjoyed season 1, but I couldn't plod through season 2 and put it down. I'm not too surprised, it was fun enough for a while. 
  • Reply 16 of 16
    petripetri Posts: 121member
    Appleish said:

True, but that’s why I liked Afterparty. Martin and Short are soooooooo annoying and overrated and flat-out unfunny that they obscure any charms the rest of the show and cast may have. My household likes the show — I have to leave the room, because Martin’s and Short’s performances are like open-mouth chewing. I just want to punch them.
    Only Murders is brilliant, because of Martin and Short (as well as Gomez), and that’s why it’s run to three seasons and it’s basically up to Martin and Short how many more they want to do, I’m guessing Disney are offering blank cheques at this point.

The Afterparty was very good and it’s no slight on the cast at all, but the format just doesn’t have the same legs.