New AirPods Pro 2 firmware has been released

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2023

Apple has released the second firmware update for its AirPods Pro 2 since the release of iOS 17, to improve the performance and stability of the wireless earbuds.

AirPods Pro 2 firmware update
AirPods Pro 2 firmware update

The update features build number 6A305 but lists no patch notes, suggesting refinement of more recent updates.

Earlier in the month, Apple updated AirPods Pro, AirPods 2, AirPods 3, and AirPods Max to build number 6A300. This version includes press to mute or unmute calls and improvements to automatic switching.

They also updated the AirPods Pro 2 to build number 6A301, which included support for Adaptive Audio and Conversation Awareness when paired with a product running iOS 17.

The new firmware is installed automatically for users, and no mechanism is available to force an update manually. The firmware will install by itself as long as the AirPods or AirPods Pro are in a charging case and connected to an iOS device.

How to check your AirPods firmware version

AirPods users can check the current firmware for audio accessories within the Settings app.

1. Open the Settings App

2. Select General

3. Select About

4. Select the AirPods you wish to view

5. A menu will appear showing relevant device information

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 209member
    edited October 2023 darkvader
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jeromec said:
    It looks to me like the article you linked to refers to build 6A303 whereas this article refers to build 6A305. So, yes, it is the same news that there is a new version. But it is a different new version.
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    noise cancellation seems improved with 6a305
  • Reply 4 of 7
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    A firmware update for AirPod Pros that doesn't even document what changed?

Ugh.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    darkvader said:
    A firmware update for AirPod Pros that doesn't even document what changed?

Ugh.
    The AirPod firmware update is always a nebulous affair, lol. 
    edited October 2023
  • Reply 6 of 7
    SHKSHK Posts: 25member
    I have been waiting all week for this update!
    Great! I 100% can confirm the noise cancelling is better! No, wait... It's really much WORSE! But  bass sounds better, WARMER and RICHER! Hold on... All the bass is now too FLABBY and weak!

But that's OK, the high end is SNAPPIER, just like the new version of Safari.

• Reply 7 of 7
    Good news I’m sure for users of AirPods Pro - but ain’t it time us users of Beats Fit Pro received a firmware update? What next? Possibly the news that Beats Fit Pro won’t be getting a firmware update because Apple (Beats) has decided to scrap them altogether. I had the 2nd gen AirPods Pro for exactly a month and decided to sell them to my cousin and go back to Beats Fit Pro because their performance far outweighs the performance of the updated AirPods Pro by a massive margin IMHO! LONG LIVE BEATS FIT PRO (hopefully with more frequent firmware updates…).