Apple Vision Pro employee training starts very early in 2024

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited October 2023

Apple will start training its retail employees about the Apple Vision Pro in the "first months" of 2024, in preparation for the launch of the mixed-reality headset.

Apple Vision Pro
Apple Vision Pro

Apple has repeatedly said that the Apple Vision Pro headset will arrive sometime in early 2024, but not exactly when it will become available. It now seems that it may go live later in that period rather than close to the start of the year.

According to Mark Gurman in his "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Apple has sent out a memo to retail employees asking them to apply to take part in a "product training event." That event is believed to be one of educating employees about the Apple Vision Pro and sales procedures for the device.

"Selected team members will travel and participate in an event in Cupertino, California, at some point in the first months of 2024," the note states. "Upon returning to their home store, they'll deliver training and ongoing support to store team members."

The memo adds that this is "a group opportunity for those who have a deep passion for demonstrating Apple products and teaching others." An application and interview process will be performed to select those who will make the trip.

While not directly offering any real timing for the launch of the Apple Vision Pro, the existence of an event to train employees does at least help. The employees need time to train others from their respective stores, which means a launch could happen a few months into the year.

The launch of the Apple Vision Pro will apparently include setting up dedicated hands-on areas in flagship outlets, while other stores will get two demo units each. In-store activities will apparently include the assembly of orders, including embedding selected bands, light seals, and prescription lenses.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    XedXed Posts: 2,580member

"Selected team members will travel and participate in an event in Cupertino, California, at some point in the first months of 2024," the note states. 

I wonder how that works. My thoughts: Does Apple Pay for First or Business class flights for employees or let employees book their own travel with an upper limit to how much they can be reimbursed? Does Apple put them up in a chain hotel or do they own their own hotel for employees and certain types of guests coming to Cupertino? Do they offer a per diem? Is it just to get the training or can they work in some extra time which may include a tour of the campus, if they so desire?
    jellybellywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Xed said:

"Selected team members will travel and participate in an event in Cupertino, California, at some point in the first months of 2024," the note states. 

I wonder how that works. My thoughts: Does Apple Pay for First or Business class flights for employees or let employees book their own travel with an upper limit to how much they can be reimbursed? Does Apple put them up in a chain hotel or do they own their own hotel for employees and certain types of guests coming to Cupertino? Do they offer a per diem? Is it just to get the training or can they work in some extra time which may include a tour of the campus, if they so desire?
    These are the same employees that go for training on other new devices and travel and lodging will be handled in same way as previous training. 
    Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Xed said:

These are the same employees that go for training on other new devices and travel and lodging will be handled in same way as previous training
    This just in: company does what it usually does. 🤯
    hammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Xed said:
    Xed said:

These are the same employees that go for training on other new devices and travel and lodging will be handled in same way as previous training
    This just in: company does what it usually does. ߤ怜t;/div>
    So Apple pays for travel (coach), and lodging. They have a deal with many hotels/apartments in Santa Clara Valley. Sometimes they use The Hamptons that’s right next to AP.  Per diems are usually given out if they stay longer than a week or two. Usually they can spend time on other campuses when they’re not working, but it depends on how long they will be there and the time they need to be clocked in for learning. 

edited October 2023 XedBart Yjellybellywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Xed said:

Your wonderings are pretty out there.  They'll be travelling coach, put up in local mid-range hotels, and have a modest but adequate daily expense allowance for meals.  They're just retail employees, Apple aren't out to impress anyone here.

Bart Yctt_zhtht
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Honkers said:
    Xed said:

Your wonderings are pretty out there.  They'll be travelling coach, put up in local mid-range hotels, and have a modest but adequate daily expense allowance for meals.  They're just retail employees, Apple aren't out to impress anyone here.
    1) Hammeroftruth seems to have some inside knowledge and he says that a daily expanse allowance won't be an option unless it's a longer stay. I would assume that there is some food offered for the trainees, but maybe it'll just be the Apple campus cafeteria food (which I'd love to try if I had this experience).

2) I've flown business class many times as a low-level employee for training for a large multinational company. They had deals with airlines. I assume that Apple is large enough to also be able to negotiate deals with airlines that want their business.

3) I've also worked for companies that own their own hotels on or near the campus I was going to. At a certain point this gets cheaper to operate than a 3rd-party hotel who may not be able to accommodate you if it's in a city where certain event cause lodging to book up. At least, that's why I assume the corporations had their own hotels.

4) I asked questions based on my work experience but you made absolute statements which included a per diem which seems to not to the case for an out-and-back training mission which makes your comment the one that is more out there. If you didn't know you should've at least had the courtesy of prefacing your response to denote it was your assumption.

So Apple pays for travel (coach), and lodging. They have a deal with many hotels/apartments in Santa Clara Valley. Sometimes they use The Hamptons that’s right next to AP.  Per diems are usually given out if they stay longer than a week or two. Usually they can spend time on other campuses when they’re not working, but it depends on how long they will be there and the time they need to be clocked in for learning. 
    Thanks for the info. Did you personally work for Apple retail?
    edited October 2023 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,010member
    Xed said:

Will they get stock options? A two year work agreement with a golden parachute? Dinner with Tim? So many important questions!

• Reply 8 of 9
    Xed said:
    Honkers said:
    Xed said:

1) Hammeroftruth seems to have some inside knowledge and he says that a daily expanse allowance won't be an option unless it's a longer stay. I would assume that there is some food offered for the trainees, but maybe it'll just be the Apple campus cafeteria food (which I'd love to try if I had this experience).

2) I've flown business class many times as a low-level employee for training for a large multinational company. They had deals with airlines. I assume that Apple is large enough to also be able to negotiate deals with airlines that want their business.

3) I've also worked for companies that own their own hotels on or near the campus I was going to. At a certain point this gets cheaper to operate than a 3rd-party hotel who may not be able to accommodate you if it's in a city where certain event cause lodging to book up. At least, that's why I assume the corporations had their own hotels.

4) I asked questions based on my work experience but you made absolute statements which included a per diem which seems to not to the case for an out-and-back training mission which makes your comment the one that is more out there. If you didn't know you should've at least had the courtesy of prefacing your response to denote it was your assumption.

I know some people. 

The meal allowances are usually reimbursements. Funny story I’ve heard is that Apple only reimburses for food and there was someone who was told to go to a certain liquor store that had receipts that would show a liquor purchase as food. 😂

You will by flying coach and the preferred airline they use is Southwest. 

They have multiple Cafe Macs in the area and all of them have different menu items. The food is amazing and the deserts will kill whatever diet you were on. 

It’s one of the few perks that retail employees can get and from what I’ve heard it makes up for their grueling work schedules at the store. Particularly during this time of year. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Xed said:
    Honkers said:
    Xed said:

I know some people. 

The meal allowances are usually reimbursements. Funny story I’ve heard is that Apple only reimburses for food and there was someone who was told to go to a certain liquor store that had receipts that would show a liquor purchase as food. 😂

You will by flying coach and the preferred airline they use is Southwest. 

They have multiple Cafe Macs in the area and all of them have different menu items. The food is amazing and the deserts will kill whatever diet you were on. 

It’s one of the few perks that retail employees can get and from what I’ve heard it makes up for their grueling work schedules at the store. Particularly during this time of year. 
    There’s a funny story about Jobs getting free food from Apple. I can relate. A peek is a perk.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-steve-jobs-scammed-apple-for-free-lunch-with-1-dollar-salary-2017-6?op=1
    watto_cobra