Cisco's Webex brings meetings to Apple TV, Apple Watch

Posted:
in watchOS

Webex has introduced two new integrations with Apple products, including an app for joining calls via an Apple Watch and another for the Apple TV.

Webex for Apple Watch
Webex for Apple Watch

Webex users who own an Apple Watch will be able to use the Cisco service from their wrist, thanks to the new watchOS app. Outlined in a blog post on Tuesday, Webex for Apple Watch will provide users with a list of upcoming meetings for their account, to help prepare their schedule for the day.

Users will also be able to join meetings directly from their Apple Watch in an audio-only mode. The feature will require paired AirPods or other Bluetooth headphones, but the entire meeting can be held through the Apple Watch itself.

As well as the Apple Watch, a new tool for Webex on Apple TV 4K is also being made available. Rather than relying on a smaller iPhone or iPad display, the meeting can instead be viewed and conducted via a larger television.

Webex for Apple TV 4K
Webex for Apple TV 4K

Signing in to a meeting is handled via a QR code for a seamless login experience. By using Continuity Camera support in tvOS 17, an iPhone or iPad can be used to handle the camera and microphone duties, while the TV shows other participants.

Cisco says the Apple Watch and Apple TV features for Webex are arriving soon.

The integrations with Apple Watch and Apple TV 4K follow after a number of other Apple-focused features for the Webex platform. The list includes AirPlay support on Cisco Collaboration devices, support for Picture-in-Picture, and Apple CarPlay.

In October 2022, Webex added Mobile Camera Share, a feature that let users share content from the front or rear-facing cameras via the Webex Meeting mobile app. Support for Continuity Camera in macOS Ventura was also introduced, so the high-quality rear cameras of iPhones could be used as the webcam for a Mac.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    I'm less worried about security of apps when the apps run on an iPad or Apple TV than on my Mac. Even so, would an app running in Apple TV have access to my iCloud username? I doubt that a person can log out of their iCloud account on their Apple TV when using this app because you probably have to use Continuity Camera, which probably requires being logged into your iCloud account on both the camera/phone and the Apple TV. Right? If so, it's probably no different (security-wise) from using an iPhone or iPad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    HonkersHonkers Posts: 156member
    I'm less worried about security of apps when the apps run on an iPad or Apple TV than on my Mac. Even so, would an app running in Apple TV have access to my iCloud username? I doubt that a person can log out of their iCloud account on their Apple TV when using this app because you probably have to use Continuity Camera, which probably requires being logged into your iCloud account on both the camera/phone and the Apple TV. Right? If so, it's probably no different (security-wise) from using an iPhone or iPad.
    Why would apps have access to your iCloud username?  Do you really think Apple would implement a complicated feature like Sign In With Apple, using obfuscated email addresses, if apps could just access your Apple username? 

And wtf have your flitting security concerns got to do with WebEx?

Please think for a moment or two before posting such silliness.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Honkers said:
    Why would apps have access to your iCloud username?  Do you really think Apple would implement a complicated feature like Sign In With Apple, using obfuscated email addresses, if apps could just access your Apple username? 

So you've never read any of the Apple App store App Privacy pages? Just pick an app at random in the Apple App store, scroll down until you see the words, "App Privacy," then click on "See Details," then look at the list of data that the app takes from your computer/phone and has permission to access on your device in order to send it back to corporate HQ. Most apps that I've ever looked at contain the item "Data Linked to you / Contact Info" and if you click on "Contact Info" you will see something like "Email Address, Name." You've never done this before, have you? This is so useful it's the main reason why I will never download any other app store. Because when I use the Apple App store, I have a good idea what apps are actually taking from me.

Let's take a look at all the data that a popular app has requested access to on your Mac if you install it. This is the data for the app called "Twitter."

Twitter:
    Data Used to Track You---
    The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
    Purchases, Contact Info, Browsing History, Usage Data, Location, User Content, Identifiers
    Data Linked to You---
    The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
    Purchases, Contact Info, User Content, Browsing History, Usage Data, Location, Contacts, Search History, Identifiers, Diagnostics
    Data Not Linked to You---
    The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
    Contact Info, Other Data, User Content

And then if you click on the individual items above, it explains what they are. For example, in this case when you click on "Contact Info" it explains that Twitter is accessing your email address. Do you think Twitter needs all this data? Twitter might need your email address since that's how they identify people who post messages, but they shouldn't need it for people who are only reading posts rather than creating them. Tell me why Twitter needs to access "Browsing History". Try to defend that one.

I don't know you, but I know most people are paranoid about what the government has access to. I just wish people, like you, would be equally paranoid about what private companies like Twitter know about you. Are you paranoid about the government? Are you paranoid about Twitter?

By the way, Sign in with Apple has nothing to do with what apps that you download have access to on your device.

I've been polite. My goal is not to embarrass you, but to educate anyone who reads this thread. I want people to understand the risks when they install apps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    HonkersHonkers Posts: 156member
    Honkers said:

So you've never read any of the Apple App store App Privacy pages? Just pick an app at random in the Apple App store, scroll down until you see the words, "App Privacy," then click on "See Details," then look at the list of data that the app takes from your computer/phone and has permission to access on your device in order to send it back to corporate HQ. Most apps that I've ever looked at contain the item "Data Linked to you / Contact Info" and if you click on "Contact Info" you will see something like "Email Address, Name." You've never done this before, have you? This is so useful it's the main reason why I will never download any other app store. Because when I use the Apple App store, I have a good idea what apps are actually taking from me.

Let's take a look at all the data that a popular app has requested access to on your Mac if you install it. This is the data for the app called "Twitter."

Twitter:
    Data Used to Track You---
    The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
    Purchases, Contact Info, Browsing History, Usage Data, Location, User Content, Identifiers
    Data Linked to You---
    The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
    Purchases, Contact Info, User Content, Browsing History, Usage Data, Location, Contacts, Search History, Identifiers, Diagnostics
    Data Not Linked to You---
    The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
    Contact Info, Other Data, User Content

And then if you click on the individual items above, it explains what they are. For example, in this case when you click on "Contact Info" it explains that Twitter is accessing your email address. Do you think Twitter needs all this data? Twitter might need your email address since that's how they identify people who post messages, but they shouldn't need it for people who are only reading posts rather than creating them. Tell me why Twitter needs to access "Browsing History". Try to defend that one.

I don't know you, but I know most people are paranoid about what the government has access to. I just wish people, like you, would be equally paranoid about what private companies like Twitter know about you. Are you paranoid about the government? Are you paranoid about Twitter?

By the way, Sign in with Apple has nothing to do with what apps that you download have access to on your device.

I've been polite. My goal is not to embarrass you, but to educate anyone who reads this thread. I want people to understand the risks when they install apps.
    Twitter needs an email address to sign up.  You can't access anything in the app without signing in.
    Twitter uses trackers across websites for advertising purposes, so will have access to an aspect of your browsing history.  They also have an embedded web browser that they control.

Whether Twitter needs it or not is immaterial, neither are things that Apple are presenting to them from the operating system.  You claim that you are concerned about this, but you don't seem to have the first idea what the things that you're reading actually mean.  And none of them have anything to do with WebEx or your original point.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Honkers said:
    Twitter needs an email address to sign up.  You can't access anything in the app without signing in.
    Twitter uses trackers across websites for advertising purposes, so will have access to an aspect of your browsing history.  They also have an embedded web browser that they control.
    Whether Twitter needs it or not is immaterial, neither are things that Apple are presenting to them from the operating system.  You claim that you are concerned about this, but you don't seem to have the first idea what the things that you're reading actually mean.  And none of them have anything to do with WebEx or your original point.
    We should stop, because you sure aren't understanding my points, or answering my specific questions. If you want this to be a conversation, you have to answer my questions. Stop ignoring my points. We should stop now, but I'll honour your final question by trying to answer it anyway. Webex is going to be an app for Apple TV. Do you understand that? Apps have different permissions for accessing data on devices. Do you understand that? I'm less concerned about a WebEx app running on my Apple TV than on my Mac, because my Mac has more personal data on it. Do you understand that? Why would you even try to argue with the claim that "I'm less concerned about the security of apps when they run on an iPad or Apple TV than on a Mac"? Are you suggesting you are MORE concerned about security on an Apple TV than on a Mac? The whole idea that you are seemingly arguing that an Apple TV isn't more secure is boggling my mind.

We are getting nowhere so I will give you the last word, but I won't read it. Make your best arguments for the other readers.

By the way, I just spotted a contradiction in your posts. At one point you said, "Why would apps have access to your iCloud username," then at another point you said, "Twitter needs an email address to sign up." Do you realize the contradiction? In fact, I'll cite Apple's own documentation to prove that:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201356
    Apple ID email address
    When you create an Apple ID, you enter an email address. This email address is your Apple ID and the username that you can use to sign in to Apple services like Apple Music and iCloud.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Honkers said:
    We should stop, because you sure aren't understanding my points, or answering my specific questions. If you want this to be a conversation, you have to answer my questions. Stop ignoring my points. We should stop now, but I'll honour your final question by trying to answer it anyway. Webex is going to be an app for Apple TV. Do you understand that? Apps have different permissions for accessing data on devices. Do you understand that? I'm less concerned about a WebEx app running on my Apple TV than on my Mac, because my Mac has more personal data on it. Do you understand that? Why would you even try to argue with the claim that "I'm less concerned about the security of apps when they run on an iPad or Apple TV than on a Mac"? Are you suggesting you are MORE concerned about security on an Apple TV than on a Mac? The whole idea that you are seemingly arguing that an Apple TV isn't more secure is boggling my mind.
    Your mind is boggled that I'm arguing something that I've made no mention of at all?   :D

I hope you don't break your pearls as you clutch them in moral indignation.  if you can find them in amongst all that straw.

It's ridiculous to complain that I'm ignoring your "points" and also claim that I'm arguing against your points.  At least pick a lane.  I'll help, I'm ignoring them, with no suggestion of a position either way, because they are general and vague, not to mention poorly informed, and they have no place in this thread.  They are irrelevant to the launch of WebEx on the Apple TV and Apple Watch.  Start a new thread.

By the way, I just spotted a contradiction in your posts. At one point you said, "Why would apps have access to your iCloud username," then at another point you said, "Twitter needs an email address to sign up." Do you realize the contradiction? In fact, I'll cite Apple's own documentation to prove that:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201356
    Apple ID email address
    When you create an Apple ID, you enter an email address. This email address is your Apple ID and the username that you can use to sign in to Apple services like Apple Music and iCloud.
    Can I conclude from this that you don't understand that there's a fundamental difference between Apple allowing an app to access a user's iCloud username ad hoc, and an app presenting a dialog to request that a user type in their email address (which may or may not be their iCloud email address)?

You think I've committed some sort of contradiction by regarding these as quite different things and quite different security scenarios?

Answer my questions!

Absurd person.