Apple hikes Apple One cost by up to $5 as most services prices rise

Posted:
in General Discussion

Apple has raised the prices of many of its services subscriptions, from individual ones such as Apple Music, to its overall Apple One bundle tiers.

Apple has increased the cost of subscribing to some of its services almost precisely 12 months after its last price rise. So far the changes have been made without any announcement, but the new costs are all published on Apple's site.

The most marked increase is in the overall Apple One bundle. Its lowest, or individual tier, used to cost $16.95 per month but as of now, it is $19.95 per month.

Similarly, the Family Apple One tier has risen from $22.95/month to $25.95/month. And the Premier tier is now up from $32.95 to $37.95.

Separate services rise too

The price rise for Apple One comes at the same time as increases for many of its major constituent services.

• Apple TV+ was $6.99/month, now $9.99

• Apple News+ was $9.99/month, now $12.99

• Apple Arcade was $4.99/month, now $6.99

It's not clear yet whether iCloud storage prices are rising too. When Apple raised prices in October 2022, Apple Music was one of those affected, but as yet it doesn't appear to have increased again.

That may be just that Apple hasn't launched a new price. However, in 2022, Apple Arcade was unaffected so it needn't be that every service will rise in cost.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Well time to look at services I guess……
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Everything rises, as cola increases…..so whats the benefits of cola increases….NADA
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    iCloud storage can KMA: a Genius Bar agent reset my phone and after that it lost everything despite the fact that I was paying 2.99/mo for 50gb. Since then I switched to the 99¢ version because imho it’s just not worth it. Also a network reset recommended by AT&T deleted all of my WiFi signins last week and they haven’t been recovered and restored. I think that as a natural order of business, iPhones should unlock themselves from the carrier exclusivities automatically after 6 months has passed.
    jfabula1williamlondonNoGodsNoMasters
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Apple One Premier - - last year, ~12% increase.  This year, 12 months later, ~15% increase.  That's much more than a COLA increase.  Also - - - no new service, no higher cloud storage, discounted Apple Care - - - - nothing - - - - just a pure price increase, year-over-year.  Time to trim the service.
    jfabula1williamlondonNoGodsNoMastersappleinsideruser
  • Reply 5 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    The Apple TV+ increase is obviously a precursor to introducing an ad-supported ATV+ tier at one of the previous price points. Well screw that…I’m done playing this game with all these streaming services. 

My $49.99 ATV+ annual subscription just ended a few weeks ago, and I’ve been on the fence as to whether it was still worth keeping around at $69.99. This makes that decision for me. Apple TV+ now goes into my a-la-cart, one month and done rotation. 
    edited October 2023 muthuk_vanalingambyronl
  • Reply 6 of 22
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    The move from $30 to $33 last year felt steep but acceptable given the inflationary environment.

Now it's $38 and it just seems too high to be worthwhile. 

Apple Cloud and Music are the main services we use. Apple Arcade and Apple TV are nice-to-haves. Apple News and Fitness don't get used.

Might be cheaper and easier to go to Spotify Family and 2TB iCloud for $28.

edited October 2023 williamlondonNoGodsNoMastersbala1234appleinsideruserbyronl
  • Reply 7 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Apple One never made sense for just two people in the family.
    We only use Music, TV+ and Fitness. Fitness and TV+ already allow multiple users and rarely, if ever, have both of us wanted to use Music at the same time, separately.
    I always do the annual subscriptions and save two months worth of payments. We each use the $0.99 iCloud.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 22
    iCloud storage can KMA: a Genius Bar agent reset my phone and after that it lost everything despite the fact that I was paying 2.99/mo for 50gb. Since then I switched to the 99¢ version because imho it’s just not worth it. Also a network reset recommended by AT&T deleted all of my WiFi signins last week and they haven’t been recovered and restored. I think that as a natural order of business, iPhones should unlock themselves from the carrier exclusivities automatically after 6 months has passed.
    The price has always been $.99 for 50GB. What were you paying $2.99 for because that wasn't iCloud. And yes, a network reset resets all your network settings. Your Wi-Fi passwords won't return. You have to enter them again. 

To restore a phone through iCloud you need to have backed up the phone to iCloud. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Savings note - you can buy Apple gift cards (formerly iTunes cards) at discounts or with kickbacks(eg Best Buy or target gift card if you buy Apple is a frequent promo) or in some places stack grocery store fuel points and credit card category bonuses.  Once loaded on your Apple ID they’ll use that “discounted” money first. 
    kkqd1337dewmechasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    vztrv1 said:
    Savings note - you can buy Apple gift cards (formerly iTunes cards) at discounts or with kickbacks(eg Best Buy or target gift card if you buy Apple is a frequent promo) or in some places stack grocery store fuel points and credit card category bonuses.  Once loaded on your Apple ID they’ll use that “discounted” money first. 
    this is a good tip.

but i personally dont pay for any apple services
  • Reply 11 of 22
    kkeekkee Posts: 19member
    In Australia Apple One Premier is now A$50/month.

Here is what it includes and what I need:
    1. iCloud 2TB (I only need 1TB but the second tier is 200G so can't go lower than this)
    2. tv+ (need)
    3. Music(need)
    4. Arcade (not needed)
    5. Fitness+ (like it)
    6. News+ (like it)

Looks like I am stuck.

---

edit: To be fair I can share all the services above up to 5 people. So if you had 5 people in your household, I suppose $10/month for 6 services are pretty cheap. Apple Website also shows individual cost of each services and the buddle apparently save up to $42 (from $92).
    edited October 2023 chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    AppleTV+ is up to $12.99CDN.

I was thinking of resubscribing to watch the new seasons of Foundation, Invasion and For All Mankind.

If I do, I’ll do a bunch of binge-watching over the next few cold months and probably cancel again. I’m not a huge TV watcher, so lots of monthly fees don’t make sense for me. And Apple’s fees are fairly substantial now.

I gave up Apple Music when an audiophile service became available here in Canada, but had I stayed with it I’d just eat the increase (probably) since I listen to so much music.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    I don't really use Apple services consistently outside of the 50GB/mo for .99. If push came to shove, I could shave down my cloud stored items to 5GB again easily and turn that off too if the price jumps.

I selectively turn on AppleTV+ and jacking the price up from 6.99 to 9.99 means I will be even more selective and make sure to turn off other services at the same time to double down on watching only AppleTV+ for a month or two at most before turning it back off till the next year. Subsequently, this is what I do with most of the streaming services since I cut the cable and just stream to my Apple TV. I will time services and turn them on when their content has built back up to occupy my watching time daily till exhaust then cancel and move onto another service.

• Reply 14 of 22
    I really wish Apple would just make a more flexible version of Apple One for Individuals, sort of Individual+ which allows you to plug in Apple News+ or Apple Fitness+ at a reduced price.

I only currently use the lowest tier of iCloud storage, Apple TV+ and Apple News+ and have no interest in the Apple Arcade or Apple Music services.

So, even though the Apple One Individual is cheaper by the time I bolt on Apple News+, I'm playing A$10.47 more than I currently pay for the ability to roll two payments into one and access two services I'm not interested in... hardly seems worth the effort.

Though for some time now I have been feeling that AppleTV+ needed to move to a when there is something I am interested in, I subscribe model...
    liketheskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    William, any idea when current subscribers will see these increases? In Settings under subscriptions none of Apple TV+, nor Apple News, renewing in beginning and mid November show these new higher prices (yet)…

Are we grandfathered in? And if so, for how long?

Would Premium also get grandfathered in, and for how long? I might upgrade to Premium if we get grandfathered in, certainly if indefinitely!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    William, any idea when current subscribers will see these increases? In Settings under subscriptions none of Apple TV+, nor Apple News, renewing in beginning and mid November show these new higher prices (yet)…

Are we grandfathered in? And if so, for how long?

Would Premium also get grandfathered in, and for how long? I might upgrade to Premium if we get grandfathered in, certainly if indefinitely!
    I just checked. My fee is already at the new price, next payment 3rd Nov.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    I have the Apple One individual bundle, and even it is still worth it to me even with the price rise. I use each of the services in that bundle, and would still be paying more for them if I had subscribed to each individually. $20/month isn’t much for what you’re getting if you use those services regularly.

That said, Apple can and will reach a tipping point at some point if these 10%+ price hikes become an annual thing.

Now if you really want to save a LOT of money, do what I did: CUT CABLE. We pay for four streaming services in our house and reduced our “TV” expense from $840/year to less than half that much, lost all those commercials, and the quality of content is WAY higher.
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    It's probably a price hike as a response to the fact that new data released by the Fed that Americans' net worth has jumped 37% since COVID. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    chasm said:
    I have the Apple One individual bundle, and even it is still worth it to me even with the price rise. I use each of the services in that bundle, and would still be paying more for them if I had subscribed to each individually. $20/month isn’t much for what you’re getting if you use those services regularly.

That said, Apple can and will reach a tipping point at some point if these 10%+ price hikes become an annual thing.

Now if you really want to save a LOT of money, do what I did: CUT CABLE. We pay for four streaming services in our house and reduced our “TV” expense from $840/year to less than half that much, lost all those commercials, and the quality of content is WAY higher.
    At some point my life has been molded into Apple services:
    1. I wake up every morning to Apple Fitness+ HIIT 15 mins before get ready to work
    2. I read Apple News+ on the commute to work
    3. I play Apple Arcade on the commute from work
    4. I listen to Apple Music on my daily afternoon walk and during work
    5. I watch Apple TV+ every evening

God helps me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Time to play that broken record again: the prices always increase because streaming isn’t a viable business model. Never was, never will be. Everyone thought Disney+ was the big video streaming winner with their rapid user base increase but they were always losing $$. Spotify is the global music streaming leader and they’re a net money loser as well.
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra